Improving the audio experience...

Kuro

after 12 months of driving around with the standard audio setup, I'm at my wits end :scare:

So, what can be done on a moderate budget, contraints include;

1. It's the non-Bose, standard setup - is this easier order harder to modify?

2. Ideally I'd like to keep the standard HU, as I love the steering controls and it looks neat/stealthy.

Other than that, open to suggestions..!

Would simply spending £100-£150 on a new set of full range 17cm speakers do the trick? How about a set of mid range/bass for the rears?

What can the standard HU handle?

I like my audio, but I'm a complete ICE novice really :blush:

Thanks B)

I would not start putting mid/bass onlys in the rear. Either keep them full range coaxials or just disconnect them completly.

The question is not what the head unit can handle its more how much power it will have and it will not have a lot. As your not going to be spending LOTs of money you will not be under powering the speakers so much theres a chance of damage so thats good.

Putting new speakers in the doors will help as the standards are not great - even the BOSE ones are not great.

I would not start getting an amp and speakers until you have replaced your head unit IMO. If you start playing the old convert speaker down to line level game you are asking for trouble.

In order I would say

1) Replace Speakers - £150ish. Not too cheap that its not worth it but no really expensive you don't get the best out of it (At least put 'some sound deadening on the door behind the speaker)

2) Head Unit

3) Amp for Front Components

I don't think even the standard non-bose are full range they are components so make sure you get a set rather than coaxials which are often refered to as full range.

thanks all :)

Ok, so the first step seems to be replacement of the fronts - and I may as well dynamat whilst I there I suppose?

Are there any recommendations for speakers, or will sticking to an established brand be ok. I was thinking of Alpine type R's for just around £120-£140 ish..? :)

Infinity seem to be ok as well - good recommendations

I suppose an easier question is - what do I steer clear of? :scare:

I would not start putting mid/bass onlys in the rear. Either keep them full range coaxials or just disconnect them completly.

Just re-reading your post, and sorry to sound a tad thick but;

Assuming I fit new fronts: If I disconnect the rears, does that mean that the fronts will have more of the HU's available power - and therefore sound better/get more from the decent speakers..?

No Disconnecting the rears will not give your fronts more power. Unfortunatly it does not work like that. Just means that part of the head unit will be having some time out :)

For speakers I would not go for the Alpines - head units they are awesome, speakers er well they are not that good (excluding F1)

I would look at the likes of Focal 165A1 or maybe Focal 165V1s, Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe,

thanks all :)

Ok, so the first step seems to be replacement of the fronts - and I may as well dynamat whilst I there I suppose?

Are there any recommendations for speakers, or will sticking to an established brand be ok. I was thinking of Alpine type R's for just around £120-£140 ish..? :)

Infinity seem to be ok as well - good recommendations

I suppose an easier question is - what do I steer clear of? :scare:

While you've got the front speakers out, put a bit in behind the speaker. Dynamat do a speaker kit which a couple of 8" (ish) square sheets. Extreme is lighter and more effective and worth the extra couple of £££.

Personally, avoid Japanese speakers. They're made to a budget / look more often than not, and aren't the best. Some Focal / JL Audio / Boston Acoustics would be way better.

Focal Polyglass 165V1's

JL Audio TR650CSi

Both about £150 and top quality speakers.

At the end of the day, if possible try and listen to them IN A CAR, not on a board in a shop. A decent local installer may well help you and make sure you get to make the right choice first time. :thumbs: