Buying Advice needed

Raymondo

Team,

I'm going to look at a March 2008 car tomorrow (GT with factory sat-nav/private sale). The price is a very reasonable £14.5k although it's got 45,000 miles on the clock.

The bad news is that it needs a new set of tyres and is on the original brake pads and discs (motorway driving). It will also need a P1 very shortly. How much would I expect to pay for all this?

Also should I get an AA inspection or give it a miss since the car is still under the manufacturers warranty? Will hopefully be taking a knowledgeable colleague with me.

Cheers

P1 is the cheapest and can be got for not too much over £100, then if your getting 4 new tyres you will be looking at £100-£150 per corner at a minimum.

An AA inspection is always good even if just for your peace of mind, plenty of stuff not covered in warranty!

Not that good a price considering it needs over 1k spent on it straight away :dry: Just save few quid more and get a low milage example which doesnt need that much spent on it :thumbs:

I suppose that it all depends on whether I can get anything off the price. I will have to as my budget is £13.5k

Here is a link to the car

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ogcode=emf

Must admit that the high mileage puts me off a bit but you get what you pay for.

are you set on an 08 as with that budget you could get an older zed with lower miles,

I'd prefer to get an 08 car as it would mean that I am not getting rid of my 08 BMW for something older. A bit hard to sell that to the misses!

However I'd certainly consider a 57 plate or an 07 if one was available at the right price. I am also limited by wanting a factory fitted sat-nav as I believe that the Nurrish one cannot be fitted to MY06 and later cars.

Am I correct in assumming that a car with 45k will need new pads and discs in the near future? (It's still on the originals) Or do they make Japanese brake discs out of something hard (metal perhaps?) that doesn't wear away as fast as the pads? BMW haven't work out how to do this yet.

Offer him 13.5 then and see what he says..... but i guess he has taken the cost of disc/pads/tyres into it and thats why its pretty cheap for an 08. For 13.5k you will be looking at getting a higher milage 313 or written off one, you would be better off getting a good 06 , with sensible miles and all up togeather :thumbs:

Offer him 13.5 then and see what he says..... but i guess he has taken the cost of disc/pads/tyres into it and thats why its pretty cheap for an 08. For 13.5k you will be looking at getting a higher milage 313 or written off one, you would be better off getting a good 06 , with sensible miles and all up togeather :thumbs:

I actually looked at an 06 at Westover Nissan in Bournemouth earlier today. It was very nice but not a GT and did not have sat-nav. It did however have individual leather seats which were really nice and the wheels had been updated as well. 35k miles on the clock but they still wanted £14,695 for it.

Another partial success!. The seller wouldn't drop below £14,300 despite the following

1. 2mm on back tyres, 3mm on front

2. brake pads and discs were knackered IMHO

3. P1 service due very soon

I calculate that it needed about £1500 of work

The good points were that the car is still under warranty and in very good condition apart from a bumper scuff and two small dents. There are 3 more people viewing the car at the weekend and the seller is confident of a sale. They will have to have deeper pockets than me.