Kenwood DDX-6029 - Advice needed

RSP

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice and where better to come than here? I have finally decided to get off my lazy ass and get a double din screen fitted to my zed. I think having two screens (sat-nav in the cubby) in the car would look awesome.

Do you guys have any recomendations as to what i should be getting? I'm an absolute novice when it comes to ICE, would be looking to spendaround 1.2k.

I am currently looking at the Kenwood DDX-6029 screen along with a TV tuner. While i am at it i may as well change the speakers too.

thanks for your help and recomendations guys.

:thumbs:

What do you want the 1.2k to get you?

If you're talking head unit, speakers, amp, sub etc. you should be ok but unless you're a dab hand it would all benefit from a little bit of a pro's touch to get the best out of the kit.

Don't know anything about the screen but you need to be careful with two things on car screens - reflection and viewing angles. On cheap screens it can make them useless and dangerous.

What do you want to use the system for?

i'm quite easy with what i am looking for, a good touch screen with TV tuner. After reading other posts on the forum it appears that replacing the speakers, amp and sub would be a worthwhile move. saves me doing it later.

i'm superficial enough to just want it to look cool and sound half decent.:D

OK, that helps.

So your shopping list is:-

Touch Screen

TV tuner

DVD player?

Amp(s)

Speakers

Sub

Cables

Installation

Sound proofing?

Is that right, or are you installing it yourself?

Then kit selection can start!

Yes to all the above apart from sound proofing.

My brother is desperately trying to get me to install it myself (so that he can experiment before he does it on his own car probably), however i know my limits so I'm looking to get done by Drivetime in Chiswick or TCR in Egham.

The sound proofing in that list would be the difference IMHO. You can make a £70 pair of speakers isntalled properly sound like a £300 pair of speakers 'just screwed in'. If the installers you're looking at going to are audio bods they wouldn't do it without (unless you insisted!)

Does the 1.2k include installation? If so, it could be tight getting all of that and a decent install. Are you wanting the sub moved to the boot area or are they hoping to use the space behine the driver's seat?

Now for the list........

That sounds like an expensive list. I would say it sounds like you are best doing it in stages when you can afford it - along the lines of....

1 ) Headunit + Sound Deadending

2) Replacement Front Speakers

3) Amp for Comps + Sub & Sub

If you have a budget of 1.2K I would say you might should look at maybe 1 & 2 for now and them the rest later.

To soundproof the 350z is not a cheap - comes down to how much IMO you need to do the outer door skins and boot floor.

Now that looks great nana moon.

Did you have no trouble connecting it to the existing Bose speakers and amp? That could be a good option.

Rob Quads, i think you may be right about getting 1 and 2 done first for now.

Drivetime seem to be intent on installing Infiniti speakers, don't know how good they are as a brand.

Thanks for the advice so far by the way guys, i'm learning all the time.

That sounds like an expensive list. I would say it sounds like you are best doing it in stages when you can afford it - along the lines of....

1 ) Headunit + Sound Deadending

2) Replacement Front Speakers

3) Amp for Comps + Sub & Sub

If you have a budget of 1.2K I would say you might should look at maybe 1 & 2 for now and them the rest later.

To soundproof the 350z is not a cheap - comes down to how much IMO you need to do the outer door skins and boot floor.

Good suggestion.

If you're going to do it, the right stuff will make a huge difference. Suggestions for a base level and half decent quality of sound are as follows:-

DVD player including touch screen - Alpine DV100R - £600

TV tuner - Alpine TUE-T112P - £100

Amp - DLS CA41 4 channel - £269

Speakers - JL Audio 6" VR components - £250

Sub - JL Audio W3 V2 D2 - £170

Cables and Dynamat - £100 plus......

I know that doesn't completely fit the budget but personally wouldn't suggest cheaper stuff. I've heard all of that kit listed and it's all top quality.

All prices off www.caraudiodirect.co.uk, and are below rrp. Your installer, if a dealer too, would probably do a good deal on the total kit and install.

If you want a couple of places that would do that, let me know.

Now that looks great nana moon.

Did you have no trouble connecting it to the existing Bose speakers and amp? That could be a good option.

Rob Quads, i think you may be right about getting 1 and 2 done first for now.

Drivetime seem to be intent on installing Infiniti speakers, don't know how good they are as a brand.

Thanks for the advice so far by the way guys, i'm learning all the time.

Infinity speakers generally I find OK. A little bright (harsh on treble) but OK. It's all down to what signal they get too. Ask to listen to them (not on a board!) in a car and make sure you take your music and the head unit settings are at zero (eq etc) to see what you think. It's all up to you, it's your car and ears. :)

Yup H2s prices are a good guide.

An alternative setup could be...

Amp - Audison LRX 4.300 - £490

Speakers - Focal 165V2 - £220

Sub - Focal 27V2 - £190

or if you spent that bit more...

Components - Focal 165K2P £400

Component Amp- Audison LRX 2.250 £330

Sub - Focal 27KX £370

Sub Amp - Audison LRX 1.400 £400

As you can see you can quickly start to spend a lot of extra money. But the difference between the first set with Dynamat and the second set without would not ba a huge amount. That said - both with dynamat there would be an audiable difference

Robs list is also full of quality kit. Essentially, avoid Japanese amps, speakers and subs and you'll be fine!! :D

A mix of any of that kit would be great, have also heard all of that stuff too.

I'd start with the head unit, front speakers and Dynamat in the front doors (even a speaker kit would add to it) and save the rest. That way, you get real install quality and get to enjoy gains in sound each time you change something.

EDIT: Rob, your list has 12" subs? They would have no chance in getting in behind the drivers seat so bare that in mind on the install front! :thumbs:

Well i went and got the DDX-6029 fitted yesterday. I took the advice on getting things done in stages (easier on the wallet), so atm i have the HU, ipod coonction and TV tuner running through the Bose speakers. Looks B)

Thanks for the advice btw.

Nana Moon, i got the system fitted by Drivetime in Chiswick, not sure how they did it (won't even pretend to know) but it seems to be working fine. Next step will defn be the speakers.

Oh i forrgot, is there any place i can get a custom surround made up for the system? Drivetime used the one supplied by Kenwood, can't say i'm happy with it as it jutts out to much for my liking. going back on Thursday to ask for another solution.