Joining 2 poles (help)

Matt L

Im sure it shouldnt be hard :lol: but its proving impossible, I need a way of joining 2 poles together so that it is straight, and does not wobble but it needs to be done in a way where i can seperate them again to store and transport :lol:.

poles are 20mm thick (outside diameter) and inside diameter is roughly 16/17mm anyone got any ideas on how to fix them together safetly?

so far i have tried some john guests straight connectors but they are the poles move around too much for it to be any use, i have been around all the local diy stores and screwfix and thats the only thing that looked like it would do the job.

so any help would be appreciated :lol:

by slide around what do you mean? if you get your measurements exact you will be fine and it shouldnt move.

what materials are you using as this can affect what join type you use.

also the application, need to know what kind of forces are applied to it? will it be bent, twisted, compressed?

by slide around what do you mean? if you get your measurements exact you will be fine and it shouldnt move.

what materials are you using as this can affect what join type you use.

also the application, need to know what kind of forces are applied to it? will it be bent, twisted, compressed?

dont exactly know what the poles are made all i know is its a metal they use it in aircrafts (iirc) its silly light but very stong at the same time, as for purpose its to hold the weight of a camera (id say around 3-5kg at its heavist) at 1 end (although it will also be held by me so weight that end isnt really a problem) and the other end will be suctioned to car.

Obtain a thicker pipe both will slide neatly inside, that should hold them aslong as the one they slide inside should be of a decent length.

Or drill holes through each pipe, get 4 metal plates, place them around the poles and use a bolt thro and tighten them up......should hold it pritty firm and easy to dismantle?

Maybe some plumbing pipe thats slightly bigger to slide over the join then drill some holes through and secure with some pins. Either that or lots of duc tape.

im thinking the pipe is the best idea tbh duct tape is a mahoosive no :lol: no trusting it with my camera let alone someones car :lol:.

craigtt

yeah im thinking of getting a curtain pole and butchering that as that should fit inside (will test size with one at home first though :lol: )

The pole over either end and clamped sounds like the best soln tbh. Use felt pads/rubber if you have a bit of play to allow a firm fit.

Only other thing i could come up with...

2 sections of pipe that fit over either end of the pole get a garage with a welder to spot weld a captive nut and bolt in to give you a threaded connector. Drill pole to allow bolt to be screwed in to captive nut. Attach ends of pipe with captive nut an.d bolt to pole, depending on fit use clamps or araldite or both! Rubber washer between the two to allow a tight connection and a small amount of damping when screwed together. Just like a tripod mount plate.

Bit of work but should be solid. If the welds failed tho might not be good!