joining fibreglass

350 Russ

i purchased some replica nismo skirts in february and ive never been happy with the fit. ive been thinking about cutting them and adding some fibreglass where needed to make the fit perfect. when i need to join 2 parts together do i just put some fibreglass sheet over it and lots of resin or do i need to brace it with something aswell?

I would actually put fiberglass behind the join then fill the gap with the fiberglass resin. You could always fiberglass in a "brace" as well. It wouldnt hurt as long as yo have the room. Whatever brace you use, make sure you use stainless steel, if your planning on using metal, else it will rust...... :thumbs:

i've fixed crash damaged bodykits before your best bet is to bond in some thin stainless struts to hold the 2 parts together, depending on the gap size (more than about 10mm) i would also use some tiny aluminium mesh (can be found in halfrauds in the repair section.) basically put the mesh over the struts to give you a solid surface to bond filler on to.

then fiber glass over the whole lot on the inside. if the gap is only tiny use something like filler , if its bigger use something like isopon p45. sand and fill with a fine body filler, more sanding and filling etc etc.

thats the diy job,

a proper bodyshop would trim back the layers of fibre glass in a step pattern then fill and cross lay between them and finish with gel coating top. dpending o the break, they might brace as well. and also layer up behind.