damp probs with zeds?

jimgallaher

The last couple of mornings when I get into my zed (08 GT coupe) I've noticed I have a lot of condensation inside my car, I have to put the demister and aircon on to clear the windows.This has happened when the car has been parked over night in the company car park (been working nightshift)there hadn't been any heavy rain,and I've felt all over the floor for damp patches but its all dry as bone. To cut to the chase are there any issues with damp/water ingress with zeds? And If so what areas should I look at for remedial actions ?

Sounds like normal condensation. You probably haven't noticed it before as the dewpoint has been too high to form condensation but now the temperatures dropping you'll get more and more of it. It always goes to the windows because they are the coldest place. No real cure, but I used to place silica gel in various places inside the car to soak up the worst of it. I got mine from work, but I do remember buying some that was in a vented container, designed for wardrobes where there is poor air circulation :) . Once the gel was saturated, you just dried it out and put it back in the car.

Something like this would do it.

http://www.airandwatercentre.com/superd ... 9-details/

Unfortunately, although these absorb a lot more water than silica gel, they don't seem to be reusable.

Pete

when i first got the Z i noticed the same thing, i use to have an old Mondeo which use to mist up all the time, one day i opened the boot and found a small pound where the spare wheel should be :lol: I'm glad to say as yet i've found no such suprises in the Z :lol:

I was going to ask the same question. I've noticed it over the past week or so. It doesn't appear that bad when i get in the car (demists fairly quickly) but when the sun shines i can see little stripes on the inside where the condensation has been running down the screen. very annoying. I've started keeping kitchen roll in the car incase I need to give the screen of a wipe (and one sheet of plenty does not do plenty like the advert say's, you need atleast two)

In 5 years of owning a golf i never had this problem so thought it's a bit strange. I've only ever noticed this on older cars or the little cheap run arounds. The build quality of the Z isn't the greatest but the niggles i can live with as over all it's a damn good car.