235 width tyres on standard touring style wheels?

trackpig

Hi all,

As my girlfriend uses the Z everyday to travel to work, I am thinking of fitting some winter tyres to my spare oem Touring style alloy wheels for use over the winter months.

The standard set up on these wheels is 225/45/18 front and 245/45/18 rear.

My question is- would there be any problem fitting 235/40/18 to front and rear?

I dont think there would be be thought I'd ask on here first :thumbs:

Cheers

check the tyre calculators to see how much they are out by and post it up.

if the tyres are out by even a little it can lead to unhappy traction control. obviously not a problem in the snow as its going to be off but the rest of the time will be very annoying.

rubbing on 235? :blink:

ive got 265 on the front :teeth:

I believe part of the TC activation is based on the difference in wheel speed from front to back. The zed is meant to have a staggered set up which this will remove... personally i wouldn't do it, especially in winter but its your call.

Ok, I think I have sorted the sizes out:

225/40's front and 245/40 rear

This should keep the tyre sizes and tyre ratio very similar to standard and not give TC/EBD problems- any thoughts?

The tyres below seem to a good compromise between winter performance and cost.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... sowigan=Wi

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... sowigan=Wi

nankangs in the dry and wet have a terrible reputation, BUT i dont know about that specific tyre, it may be really good. only way is to read up on the reviews.

but, the sizes although matched front and back, are quite far off the standard size meaning gearing and speedo will be out. :blush:

looks like the kumho ones are the cheapest for the correct sizes :wacko:

the standard sizes push the budget up by 50 quid per tyre

well worth it IMO

agreed :thumbs:

Fair point but thats £200 less for fags and booze :thumbs:

I think ill go for the 225/40 and 245/40 option. The speedo will over read so its not too much of a problem.

the standard sizes push the budget up by 50 quid per tyre

well worth it IMO

agreed :thumbs:

Fair point but thats £200 less for fags and booze :thumbs:

I think ill go for the 225/40 and 245/40 option. The speedo will over read so its not too much of a problem.

i v run 40s on more than 4 sets of tyres. ps2s and 050As. my 888s are also 40 prof. never had an issue m8. expect the car to be a bit lower than on 45s tho.

speedo shows 34 when actual speed is 30 according to my road angel pro. uniroyals have good reputation in the wet. ps2s very very good and so are the 050As. i know there are proper winter tyres out there as well but havent got a clue about them.

i v run 40s on more than 4 sets of tyres. never had an issue m8.

Is that 225/40 front and 245/40 rear? Or did you run completly the same tyre size on each corner?

Cheers

it has to be 225/40/18 front 245/40/18 rear. the price difference between 40 and 45 is stupid i know. and i v run these sizes with and without spacers and from average to catch the cat's eyes drop too. :)