Rear strut brace carbon Di-Noc

shad0wca7

Well my rear strut brace was rather scratched and I have seen some great posts from other members with their results... Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.

Hopefully this thread can serve as a guide for those of us slightly apprehensive about all the steps... I could have done with something like this to hold my hand :)

UPDATE: The Di-Noc can be found on eBay for about £16 for the size I mention. Just search 'Carbon di-noc'. This is the link I got mine from: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1986wt_756

1) To start with, pull up the rubber seal on each side of the boot near the strut brace. Carefully pop out the 3 plastic trim clips on the part pictured (you can see them when you look under the rubber trim you have just lifted. You don't need to remove this plastic trim totally, just make sure it is loose so that the plastic trim pieces either side of the strut cover can be lifted up (they are clipped so will take a bit of force, it's best if you can get a putty knife in the gap to help the clips come undone).

7e2ecca8.jpg

2) One of the trim pieces from either side of the strut cover, removed:

f1c75b75.jpg

3) Be careful pulling the above pieces off or you will end up with below:

d41432e5.jpg

Luckily this was fixed with super glue and araldite and careful replacement.... In hindsight, use a putty knife on the clips to hopefully 'relax' them a bit (if that makes sense).

4) Now carefully prise off the trim pieces on the front and rear of the strut brace cover. They don't need to be removed, you just need access to the top.

b57ce736.jpg

Lift (there are clips either side, be careful).

5) Here is my original 'you will need':

d361fd47.jpg

Discard it. You will need:

• [*:35m6euui] Hairdryer
    [*:35m6euui] Drill with 4-5mm bit
    [*:35m6euui] Glue / sticky back tape (for sticking the Z badge back on)
    [*:35m6euui] Scissors
    [*:35m6euui] Scalpel
    [*:35m6euui] 30cm X 100cm 3M Carbon Fibre Di-Noc (this leaves a fair bit left over, you can get away with 20cm x 60cm but it might be slightly harder)

When you go to remove the 'Z' badge, you need to remove the plastic rivets on the underside of the cover. Whilst the Dremel is one of the best things I have spent money on, using it won't end well. You need to carefully drill the centre of the rivets a couple of mm till you can carefully remove the 'Z'.

6) Here is what happens if you use a Dremel (I thought I had more room to work with.. I didn't)

83ae7471.jpg

All together now...... ****!

7) Now, consider I wanted this to take an hour at most, I spent the rest of the day filling, sanding and fixing. The Z emblem still isn't ready but will go on when it is fixed and repainted (probably painted gunmetal)

8db772bf.jpg

Lots more filling, sanding and repairing happened.

8) You may want to measure and cut the Di-Noc to size to fit the brace parts you want to cover or you may want to just swamp the part (this is probably easier). Peel the adhesive backing from the Di-Noc and apply, using a credit card to smooth out the bubbles.

DON'T WORRY if there are still some bubbles / creases. Use the hairdryer to heat the Di-Noc in the creased areas, the creases should disappear or be quite easy to work out now. Heat all the di-noc and work it into the shape - cut/trim where you need to.

9) You'll end up with this:

32ec928f.jpg

\o/ Celebrate! :yahoo:

I swear that when I was putting the Di-Noc on, it was the most difficult thing in my life.

I'm drained today and fed up. This wasn't meant to take all day and be so irritating. Don't make the same mistakes I did.

I'm repairing my Z emblem and will stick it back, it will look great again, for now.. The strut brace does look good... just needs the badge to lift it up again :)

91454320.jpg

FIN

Good write up mate

I've done this a good few times myself for customers. I found using the dremmel with the cutting disc attachment us good for taking off the badge. Simply grind the back of the plastic rivits and the badge will pop off with no damage and it will be reusable :thumbs:

Paul

Ive never used di noc but is it anything like putting a screen protector on a phone? If so could you not use some soapy water in a spray bottle to stop getting bubbles? Like I said i have never used it so Im just seeing.

I don't think so as the adhesive is more like selotape than screen protector. None of the guides online suggest water. Just a squeegee and heat.

• 5 months later...