Car selection for going FI

Sam Mcgoo

Right then, following on from this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40272 and viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40646

If I get a Z its got to be FI ;) and I think I prefer the idea of a Supercharger. I like the idea of the Stillen kit (I know they're not very popular on here) and would be happy with 380 to 400 bhp at the fly. My budget would be circa 15k for car and FI.

I've done a fair bit of reading on here and the forum over the pond the last few days but I still have some questions.

Car selection

As I don't yet own a zed I would obviously like to buy one that is going to suit my plans best. Obviously a lower mileage car would be best but what are peoples opinions/experiences of FI.ing higher mileage cars. What mileage do you think is too high to start an FI project with regard to the engine and running gear on these cars?

Most SC kits I've seen have said for years 2003-05 and 05-06 so does that put an 2002 and 07-08 cars out of the question? If so why?

Mods

When purchasing my car, what already fitted mods would actually be of use to me with FI in mind?

I've noticed that the Procharger kit isn't very popular on here also. Is this because of the early lack of timing control engine failures?

The reason I ask is I'm considering the built engine and procharger package that was on here this morning before it was removed. It seems that what was on offer for 8k was reasonable and if I could get a 350 with a damaged or very high mileage engine cheap enough it maybe the way to go.

If you missed it here was the spec:

350z VQ35DE (2006 rev-up) engine

8.8:1 compression Wiseco Pistons and Rings (block honed to suit)

Eagle H-beam con-rods and pins

Arp Bolts

ACL Race bearings (big end and mains)

Genuine Nissan Gaskets

inlet manifold, plenum, deatchwerks 600cc injectors, re-circulating injector rail, and Emerald M3D standalone ecu (pre-mapped)

Procharger supercharger kit

OR....do I just buy one already done? There is a Stillen 350z done at middlehurst motorsport with FSH for 13k, but is has done 50k since the conversion. How strong are these cars? Can they handle this many miles at increased power?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, all opinions welcome...... :)

:rant: I'm considering that engine ;) 4.5 for engine only...

I wouldn't go down this route if your aim is 400hp-ish with SC. Get a lowish miles Z with the kit mods you are looking for engine mods wont really matter if you're going to push on a SC kit ontop of it with the aim 400hp (fly). I'd keep it as standard as possible to be honest since the yokes I've seen and heard here that has aftermarket exhausts etc get FAR to loud and all of them are looking to swap back to standard or did swap back to standard. If you're going for 400 > then get the engine package mentioned above with the injectors and fuel rails etc (suprised there was no pump involved in the kit so you'd need a walbro type pump too) also haven't a clue what HP that engine build would be able to take, he did mention 10PSI ~ 0.7 bar. With vortech you could go over the stock 'stable' numbers not sure regarding HKS, was in a Vortech one not long ago and it was a bit noisy from the SC sweet suction though with a true nvidia exhaust sounded VERY deep compared to N/A.

An 02 car will be the same as an 03, but only available as a JDM (UK cars were released late 03)

07+ cars have twin intakes so a normal sc won't fit, there is a kit in development for the later cars though.

I fitted my sc at 35K miles & am still on stock clutch & fly. I've only done about 1500miles since fitting it but it hasn't missed a beat.

No essential mods really but if you get a car with plenum spacer, cats, y-pipe & exhaust already fitted you can make more power at a lower boost level which is ideal :)

Do a search about the stillen one, someone went to look at it recently and pulled out of buying it.

I also think you will be very lucky to get anywhere near those figures with the stillen kit, they are not known for making the best power although they do make the best sound :cloud9:

I would sell mine but not at 15k :p

Cheers guys,

Anyone know of anyone who has had a sc fitted for a lot of miles like 50k?

The Stillen one I spoke about is a different one to the one previously spoke about on here. Its a private sale with pretty good history. It would just require some cosmetic mods to get it how I would want it. Its the 50k miles with a SC fitted that concerns me as there doesn't seem to be many FI cars that have covered that sort of mileage to compare to.

The tempting part of putting the built engine in a cheap zed is that I decided one day that I wanted more power it would be easy. Would a built engine on its own (ie no FI) produce more power than a stock engine?

Cheers guys,

Anyone know of anyone who has had a sc fitted for a lot of miles like 50k?

The Stillen one I spoke about is a different one to the one previously spoke about on here. Its a private sale with pretty good history. It would just require some cosmetic mods to get it how I would want it. Its the 50k miles with a SC fitted that concerns me as there doesn't seem to be many FI cars that have covered that sort of mileage to compare to.

The tempting part of putting the built engine in a cheap zed is that I decided one day that I wanted more power it would be easy. Would a built engine on its own (ie no FI) produce more power than a stock engine?

pm ThomasSoerensen he's had his for a while and bought it with it fitted, NOVIDEM mind and it looks to be a very nice kit.

:dance: