'always live' circuit

SunGodRA

Bear in mind whatever wiring you draw power from wasn't designed for that and the fuse protecting this wiring may well blow frequently. The only source in the car I would use for additional units would be the cig lighter as this won't impact anything else if it blows. But for your application, drawing a new line through the car is the way to do this in conjunction with an appropriate fuse. Either work out what current draw your unit takes and consult a wire size chart to choose the appropriate gauge, or overspec the wire if you are unsure. The former is always preferable. Volt drop shouldn't be a huge issue over such a short distance.

Bear in mind whatever wiring you draw power from wasn't designed for that and the fuse protecting this wiring may well blow frequently. The only source in the car I would use for additional units would be the cig lighter as this won't impact anything else if it blows. But for your application, drawing a new line through the car is the way to do this in conjunction with an appropriate fuse. Either work out what current draw your unit takes and consult a wire size chart to choose the appropriate gauge, or overspec the wire if you are unsure. The former is always preferable. Volt drop shouldn't be a huge issue over such a short distance.

As much as I hate the thought or having to do it, I think you are right, I need to create a new line from the battery with inline fuses - I'm just not looking forward to running through the firewall :surrender:

Current draw will be small, its only an Atom processor in the PC - current draw should be low enough to be in-sleep mode all the time its not in use, without having to shut down the PC - hence I need an 'always live' feed. The screen with be on a different circuit, and will only come on with ignition etc.

if its really small current draw you can take the gamble nissan gave enough margin in their wire spec you can get away with using the stereo one. still better to run a new one really.

its not too hard to run a new wire through the rubber boot behind the battery, check out the ICE install section, there will be a guid eon there somewhere :)