cheap suspension...ideas?

anthonyblue

im wondering if anyone else has the same frame of mind as me, i use to only want power and speed and grunt which i feel is pointless, 90% of things on the road wont keep up to a standard zed. i have a 53 plate zed and looking to lower ( not on the floor but a nice drop before i get some wheels, but dont want to spend mega bucks as i dont race, every now and then the right foot goes down but thats on the roads so pointless getting performance suspension....so any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Meister R's and BC Racing do coilovers in the region of £500-£700 I believe (running BC Racing coilovers myself, difference is phenomenal in both handling characteristics and image).

Springs are available from a fair few dealers on here; talking 20, 25 or 30mm drop. Most commonly used would be Eibachs I think!

I've had dealings with Zmanalex, CS and Chilli Red and have had great service from them (think the majority of members would agree with me there). Give them a PM, see if they can help you out! :)

Thanks muchy! :thumbs:

Although there's no rubbing on the arches at 25mm, any lower and you might need to look at arch rolling, I can't be sure of this though as I've not dropped to 30, 25mm is low enough! I can only just get over the low rise speedbumps as it is! :lol:

hmmmm 25mm it is then haha!!! thanks for sending me the link for yours, will only get springs now...and stick to 18s not go up to 19s then :) what you got planned next for yours?

Quite a few members have 19's, but I'm unsure if they've had any archwork doen, ask around! ;)

Few interior bits I'm currently looking into and that ever-elusive '06 airbox! :lol:

The thing with coilovers is that no one ever factors in £200+ for setup. They have to be corner weighted (to ensure all ride heights are balanced - if one wheel is bearing more weight it means that the car is tilting towards that wheel etc) and have toe and camber set up without question. Yes they are great for track use, but whats the point of fully adjustible suspension if you are never goining to adjust it, or every time you do adjust it, having to pay hansomely have it professionally set up again. In my opinion its just extreme overkill for a road car.

I've gone for the cheap option of simply lowering using springs. I wanted to retain an almost factory look, without the car looking like its obviously lowered and the Tein springs (with spacers) have acheived that superbly, ride quality seems almost unchanged also. The relatively modest drop in height should work well with the stock dampers and not cause premature failure and they are not lowering too much so as to get into the realms of rear toe and camber adjusters, which would send the cost rocketing.

I got mine from an e-bay seller after first ordering from camskill, who replied a day later saying they had no stock and would not see any for 6 weeks minimum. I e-mailed an e-bay seller on the monday morning, he replied an hour later, confirming he had stock so I purchased the springs. They were delivered the next day via ups - excellent service and a good price too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0550032456

Of course, when you fit any springs, you must have the alignment checked and it seems that the Z does experience tracking problems anyway, so you should factor in at least £100 for decent suspension geometry setup. Try to find somewhere with a Hunter machine. I'm having mine done in a couple of weeks, once the springs have bedded in. I'm hoping that the camber and toe will be adjustable with the factory fit adjusters, but will be happy to run a little more -ve camber as long as both sides are balanced. I do such little mileage anyway, it won't affect tyre wear too much.

I will be selling my used HKS Coilovers at the start of next month :thumbs:

Looking for £500 for them...a very good price considering they were £1600 brand new!

Good price for some decent coilovers. I can't see how a quality set could possibly cost less than £1000 new