"What TV should I buy?" type advice please

Teatowel

I thought you wanted something bigger. Heres a 46" with blu-ray player and 5 years warranty for under £900. If you want to use the screen as a PC/Mac monitor I don't recomend a plasma. People say screen burn isn't an issue but thats nonsense, I would not risk permanent damage for the sake of such small picture differences. Personally I prefer the look of LCD screens, especially good one, sure the low res stuff looks a bit cack, but I use a low res feed about 1% of the time anyway. Who needs TV when you have red dead redemption :D

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/samsung ... -11-p-1215

Any Plasma screen can get "Burn in" (which essentially ruins the TV), even the top end £2K+ Pionner Kuro are not immune...i know because i did this to mine :wacko:

The latest Panasonics are pretty good, but be aware there are issue with Panasonics claimed black levels:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1266197-2009-panasonic-plasmas-black-level-problems-after-1000-hours-part-5-a.html....Panasonic are trying to do an Apple, and claim that changing black levels is "normal" and a design feature :thumbdown:

At the same time LCD will never be as good as an plasma at displaying motion and blacks (unless you have mega bucks to spend on local dimming LED backlight LCD TVs).

Actually personally i've yet to find a so called "flat screen TV" to out perform my parents old 32inch Sony CRT in terms of motion, contrast, colour accuracy :scare:

Not too sure about the 3D stuff yet, most current 3D TVs use "active" shutter glasses, which are £150 a pop, there are passive 3D TVs out but not many (using polarising glasses like in the cinema). Also HDMI 1.4 which supports 3D is only just been rolled out, since most of the current AV equipment is only HDMI 1.3 compliant, if you want a full 3D set up your need new AV receivers, blue ray players, and even cables...which is all going to cost, but i guess thats why the AV industry is pushing 3D so hard :wacko:

On the other hand home projector technology has come on leap and bounds, for £500 you could have a 96inch screen, HD ready (and possibly 3D compliant) :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-DW318-Projector-widescreen-Ready/dp/B00337CXVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279986369&sr=8-3

Thanks fella! :thumbs:

I appreciate your sentiments. I have a great JVC CRT which I will not ever throw away as it is a terrific set, with standard DVD.

My biggest issue was still buying DVDs, which led me to buy a PS3, and may as well get a Hi Def Plasma while I am at it.

I have no expectations of either the technology or the screen itself lasting as long as a decent CRT would.

hey ho :dummy: