Advice / experience please - I crashed my Z

astonal

So, I crashed my z like a school boy a couple of weeks ago by taking the traction control off in the wet. Text book spin and slammed sideways in to the curb, facing the wrong direction. The impact was taken fully on the bottom edge of the passenger side rear wheel and the car was not drivable.

So, visual analysis showed that I had buckled one of the wishbones and broken the other. Once it was on a ramp they informed me that the wheel was also bucked, as was the aluminium suspension arm. So the wheel, both lower wishbones and suspension arm have been replaced.

I have been called this morning and told that the wheel still has too much positive camber and cannot be driven. They are unsure as to what else could be the problem but are suggesting its either:

The upper wishbone (but this would mean it would have had to have been "stretched")

The Bearing carrier has been buckled at the bottom

The sub frame has been distorted.

Im kind of hoping it isnt the last one....

The problem I have is this - can you bend the sub frame on what was a hard but certainly not MASSIVE impact?

Is it possible to deform an aluminium bearing carrier? (its MEATY!)

Is it possible to stretch a meaty aluminium wishbone?

The garage cant see anything obvious in the sub frame - but is it this?

Which would you think it is?

If you can let me know your thoughts as soon as possible I would be most grateful as they are making decisions today as to what they are going to work on and I am not doing this via insurance (gulp)

Thanks!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. Mate, Im not giving it the big one either but I have done 2 advanced driver days and I do a pro kart season with work each year... but the speed in which it suddenly had loss of control was outrageous. I was nipping and then on the way back, TC off on a roundabout I must have taken sideways about 20 plus times this year (in the dry) a little moisture and woooowwweee it was like an ice rink. Lucky I had two lanes really and no other cars cos I nearly ripped the back off it trying to save it from the first slide. Still, no excuse really - totally driver error and Im still cringing.;)

haha yes indeed. The reason its not (yet) and insurance job is because my insurance last year cost me 2300 quid. This year its 1100 quid. Im only guessing but I reckon the job will smack me straight back to last years cost (as I will lose i years no claim) it will end up costing me mor ein the long run me reckons... (costs thus far 800)

Sorry but why did we need to know about 'Katja'??

You were showing off to a date, it went wrong, @*!# happens. Yes I feel sorry for you but you said it yourself, you were being a numpty.

As for the repairs, you have two choices as I can see it, you can carry on paying for it out of your own pocket (which can start getting expensive) or go thru your insurance, however I think that the insurance may well decline because of the time it's taken to inform them.

All in all a pretty damned expensive date. Next time, don't show off so much. ESP is there for a reason, we all know the car is flighty in the wet, why on earth take it off?

Really sorry to hear this, this seems to be a general issue though. lat night I finished installing my JWT Pop charger, sounds great and a bit more pokey (i'll wait for the ECU to spoil that) any way, on my way through Reading, up to Caversham and then Emmer Green (just before the Esso at the brow of the hill), I had a fairly large fishtale, now my TC was on, I have Michellins and although I was going some I was not being overly right footed. The road was wet but not a river and I have taken the hill faster in worse conditions in an M3 and an S2000, the S2000 is very scatty in the wet, and never freaked like this, so other that the road being abnormally slippy, there must be something that makes the Z a bit lairy compared to the above. The tread on my tyres is fine

Sorry but why did we need to know about 'Katja'??

You were showing off to a date, it went wrong, @*!# happens. Yes I feel sorry for you but you said it yourself, you were being a numpty.

As for the repairs, you have two choices as I can see it, you can carry on paying for it out of your own pocket (which can start getting expensive) or go thru your insurance, however I think that the insurance may well decline because of the time it's taken to inform them.

All in all a pretty damned expensive date. Next time, don't show off so much. ESP is there for a reason, we all know the car is flighty in the wet, why on earth take it off?

Lighten up!!

Don't forget that this time of year it's when the roads aren't properly wet that they're at their most slippery. After a dry summer the roads get caked in tree sap, dust etc that as soon as it rains a little becomes more of a slippery mixture rather than just water. Check out the colour of the flecks on your windscreen when they hit it.....

When it's proper wet the tyres are dispersing water, they're not so good on a coating on the road. So just be careful. Oh, and be careful of roundabouts anywhere near petrol stations, after deliveries as the trucks corner there's often minor spillages which don't help!

Sorry you stuffed it, hope it's not too bad. We all live and learn, as long as no one was hurt.

on my way through Reading, up to Caversham and then Emmer Green (just before the Esso at the brow of the hill), I had a fairly large fishtale, now my TC was on, ....

Brought a tear to my eye... was born and bred in Caversham ( Washington Road )... used to travel the road to Emmer Green every day to get to school...