supercharge..........

stuey

I think the Novidem would be a VERY safe bet, they have to homologate them to sell them In Switzerland and Germany and laws are very strict there. Will be bombproof too, since they have to give a warranty in those Countries.

Apparently tested @ the Ring too for real life performance. Only drawback would be that installation would have to be in Switzerland at their premises only.

So far apart from the 350Z GT-S concept noone I know has it on a UK Z though

I like the switch off button too, a lot!

Yup I have seen it there on a couple of occasions, goes like a rocket compared to standard car. Ill post pics when I find em

did you have a close up nose at the car? was it a customer's ? were they satisfied with it? etc etc. Info please if you have any :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be pointed out that the Novidem kit will cost a minimum of £6,500 fitted plus any travelling costs to Switzerland - so you'd expect quite a lot for that :)

It is also rated at 380 BHp but whether that is on revup (296BHp base) or MY03 (276BHp base) is not clear - and I would expect it to be different in both cases.

They also offer a GT450 with internals but IMHO if you are doing internals, supercharging is not the way to go - much better TT

I'm not sure testing at The Ring approximates to typical real world driving performance - but it certainly has its place; I would want to see many cars running this over a long period and in varying driving environments (i.e. extended usage in the States and here in Europe) with issues ironed out (there are always some) before I stumped up about £7000 for 80BHpI

I think the 'ring is used due to the fact that it puts alot of stress on an engine and its internals. Climbing over 1000 feet and havein corners that are on 1:6 gradients all helps. Its not very race circuit like for a racetrack. More like a Welsh A road

but he was just commenting on you plugging yours ;)

Nah mate, just expressing opinion. I think if Stuey is considering supercharging I think it only right to let him know that Dorian is selling his kit - it appears (I'm saying appear as I know very little about this) a great deal. And IMHO a better solution as I'm a lazy sod and there's no chance I'd drive to Switzerland to have some work done on my car :teeth:

Guest prescience
It should be pointed out that the Novidem kit will cost a minimum of £6,500 fitted plus any travelling costs to Switzerland - so you'd expect quite a lot for that :)

It is also rated at 380 BHp but whether that is on revup (296BHp base) or MY03 (276BHp base) is not clear - and I would expect it to be different in both cases.

They also offer a GT450 with internals but IMHO if you are doing internals, supercharging is not the way to go - much better TT

I'm not sure testing at The Ring approximates to typical real world driving performance - but it certainly has its place; I would want to see many cars running this over a long period and in varying driving environments (i.e. extended usage in the States and here in Europe) with issues ironed out (there are always some) before I stumped up about £7000 for 80BHpI

I think the 'ring is used due to the fact that it puts alot of stress on an engine and its internals. Climbing over 1000 feet and havein corners that are on 1:6 gradients all helps. Its not very race circuit like for a racetrack. More like a Welsh A road

But what about a fast run, then stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour etc, followed by a fast run or repeated on/offs/town running- testing there has its place as I say but it ain't the whole deal

fair comment, all I'll say is that with certain items, extra care should be taken when buying second hand. I mean we are talking about something that has the potential to blow up your engine :)

Although in fairness StephenG did buy Bap's second hand Vortech and all is well? :)

Guest prescience

but he was just commenting on you plugging yours ;)

Nah mate, just expressing opinion. I think if Stuey is considering supercharging I think it only right to let him know that Dorian is selling his kit - it appears (I'm saying appear as I know very little about this) a great deal. And IMHO a better solution as I'm a lazy sod and there's no chance I'd drive to Switzerland to have some work done on my car :teeth:

:lol: I'd be much more worried about the ferry or Le Shuttle and damage

But what about a fast run, then stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour etc, followed by a fast run or repeated on/offs/town running- testing there has its place as I say but it ain't the whole deal

surely in track conditions the stress will be way higher than stop-start testing? Plus if they are legally homologated, I'd say fairly safely that they won't have issues in day to day driving.

Guest prescience
fair comment, all I'll say is that with certain items, extra care should be taken when buying second hand. I mean we are talking about something that has the potential to blow up your engine :)

Although in fairness StephenG did buy Bap's second hand Vortech and all is well? :)

I think that is a trifle unfair if I may say - I believe Bap had done some 18,000 miles on his S/C before selling it (with no issues). Stephen has done some extensive changes over a typical install - he has the kinetix polished intake (which is notoriously difficult to tune) and he has had it tuned so it is not stock.

Mine has done only 1,500 miles and is standard as far as can be standard

surely in track conditions the stress will be way higher than stop-start testing? Plus if they are legally homologated, I'd say fairly safely that they won't have issues in day to day driving.

True but stuck in traffic & town driving wouldn't the heat be MUCH higher?

I think that is a trifle unfair if I may say - I believe Bap had done some 18,000 miles on his S/C before selling it (with no issues). Stephen has done some extensive changes over a typical install - he has the kinetix polished intake (which is notoriously difficult to tune) and he has had it tuned so it is not stock.

Mine has done only 1,500 miles and is standard as far as can be standard

why taking it personally? That is my opinion on used stuff, especially when your engine's life depends on it really :)

Not implying anything on what you are selling, but I am still entitled to voice my opinion, as you are to plug your item for sale?

Guest prescience

Really you are reading me all wrong here mate - of course you can have your opinion and of course any FI kit can blow the motor (you can blow the motor NA after all) - I was just drawing a comparison between usage of the 2 different secondhand systems, which I though was relevant. I'll shut up now, my kit is available for all to see and dismiss etc

Very easily done

Fast run (around 8.15 I expect) :p

Stuck in traffic for a half hour (have you ever seen the exit/entrance to the 'ring when its busy?)

Repeated on offs and town driving. (youll only get 2 laps to 20 litres so you will be starting stoping and on and off driving down to the petrol station at dottingerhoe. :p

A lot of car manufacturers claim that the stresses placed on a car at the ring are equivelant to many situations (not just performance) Evo recently reported on this with the help of Jaguar, who claimed that the climbs put the same stress on the air con of the XK as sitting in the deserts with the aircon on full tilt. (This is just one example of how different stresses can be tested, and whilst I admit not relevant to a SC install does demonstrate that the 'ring (whilst not the be alll and end all) is a very good place to start.

True but stuck in traffic & town driving wouldn't the heat be MUCH higher?

I am by no means an expert but I question this statement, I am not saying you are wrong, I am just asking you (or anybody else) to explain it and help my own understanding.

I 100% accept that an SC engine undergoes more stress, and because it is producing more power will generate more heat than a non SC engine where everything else is equal.

However, when sat in traffic the SC will not be generating any boost and the engine will not be working hard so the thermal load being generated at that instant will not be that high. Is that fair?

Suppose you reach the back of this traffic queue after a fast blast then the engine will have be running hot and will have a shedload (technical term) of heat to dissipate. This is nothing though compared to a turbo though, as the SC is belt driven of the front of the engine and whilst this does raise the temperature of the air being compressed this is nothing like the heat from a turbo being driven by exhaust gases.

Also the turbo is a restrictor in the exhaust. Exhaust gases, apart from being waste carry heat away from the engine. In an SC car these hot gases can exit the engine as rapidly as your zorst will allow. In a turbo they still have to flow through the turbo which soaks up some of the heat and retains it in the engine bay even if you are off boost.

As I said this drivel looks like a statement, but I do mean it to be a question, its just my thoughts. Or am I talking bollox? Discuss......

Also, Val, whats this about an on off button? Is there some kind of clutch so I can turn the SC off? If so I want it! Think I may combine next summers european tour you are organising with a trip to Switzerland if thats true.... :yahoo:

Also, Val, whats this about an on off button? Is there some kind of clutch so I can turn the SC off? If so I want it! Think I may combine next summers european tour you are organising with a trip to Switzerland if thats true.... :yahoo:

yeah there's pics of it too somewhere, I think it works with some sort of magnetic switch???

and yeah you can swith the SC on or off at your leisure... how cool is that? B)B)B)

here's the article in french with pics...

also search it on here, lots of pdf files that I uploaded

also search for the Nissan GT-S model as it's got one of those

wow Val, you are soooo right, just reading that article in my bad french.

It seems its a system they previously fitted to a Golf R32 where the compressor cut in under command from accelerator position, but this time they have now fitted an on/off button in the Zed centre console giving up to 100HP extra at the flick of a switch.

I think its saying that for safety reasons its not possible to engage it whilst the engine is already above 4500 rpm.

When in traffic, flick it off for economic driving and docile performance.

Their roadster did an 11.8s standing quarter compared to 16.4s for an M3 CSL and 17+ for an originl Zed!!! :scare:

Looks like it might be just what I am after!

How am I going to justify this..... :cry:

Guest prescience
wow Val, you are soooo right, just reading that article in my bad french.

It seems its a system they previously fitted to a Golf R32 where the compressor cut in under command from accelerator position, but this time they have now fitted an on/off button in the Zed centre console giving up to 100HP extra at the flick of a switch.

I think its saying that for safety reasons its not possible to engage it whilst the engine is already above 4500 rpm.

When in traffic, flick it off for economic driving and docile performance.

Their roadster did an 11.8s standing quarter compared to 16.4s for an M3 CSL and 17+ for an originl Zed!!! :scare:

Looks like it might be just what I am after!

How am I going to justify this..... :cry:

B4 you get too carried away, I think it says it accelerates from 80 to 180 km/h in 11.8s over a quarter mile. In the Z, to acheive an 11s standing quarter, the conventional wisdom is that you need approaching 500 rwhp