Home servicing

Emperor Ming

I am going to change the plugs, oil and filter on the car today and then put on the new plenum.

Has anyone on here done the plugs before?

Any short cuts or bits to avoid or is it pretty straight forward??

Any help appreciated.

PS Plugs work out at £10 each. Ouch.

Found one site on line that sold them at £8 (all the rest were £10) but my local Motor spares place is VERY helpful and worth the extra couple of quid for the service they provide. Nothing is too much trouble and they are ALWAYS very busy.

I ordered the plugs half an hour ago and they will be in the shop for 2:30pm. Beat that!!

Filter was £5.

I am going to get a good quality semi synthetic 5-30 weight oil. have not deided which make yet.

Ming the Grease Monkey

Mods

Is it worth doing a step by step guide for replacing the plugs??

Can take a few pics and stuff if its a yes.

Not shy of the old key board either!! :teeth:

Ming the Offerer

Ming I'm obviously not a mod but I couldn't see any prob with doing a guide - I'm sure that any addition like that would only be appreciated by all. Apologies if I'm stepping on toes here mods, I won't be offended if I've said the wrong thing and you've got to slap me into order!!! :teeth:

Mods

Ming the Offerer

Ming I'm obviously not a mod but I couldn't see any prob with doing a guide - I'm sure that any addition like that would only be appreciated by all. Apologies if I'm stepping on toes here mods, I won't be offended if I've said the wrong thing and you've got to slap me into order!!! :teeth:

[sLAP!] :teeth:

Hello Ming,

Do the plugs need changing?? IIRC they will do 50k miles before needing new ones. :)

Just a thought.

David

I know they say that and I am sure its right but for the sake of £50 I am going to do it.

Unless i had had the car from new there is always the possibility - no matter how slight - that the mileage was not 100% and it is not as if it is a £300 job!

We only need to do the oil every xxxxxx miles but I do it at least twice a year just so I am happy.

In the overall scheme of things £50 aint much so what the hell. Its an excuse to get my tools out :teeth:

Will let you all know how it goes.

Ming the Ready

Mods

Ming the Offerer

I'd agree Ming. Especially since it's still under debate if a Zed has HT leads!! Pictures will be very useful. Good luck with it, sounds like, hmmm, fun! ;)

Mods

Ming the Offerer

I'd agree Ming. Especially since it's still under debate if a Zed has HT leads!! Pictures will be very useful. Good luck with it, sounds like, hmmm, fun! ;)

Hi mate

Well its all done. The plugs I took out were about done in my opinion. The tip was shorter and not so well shaped. I am sure they would have lasted a while long but why risk it.

The job was more awkward than difficult and having done it once it would be a fair bit easier the next time.

As for HT leads. Nope none of those on the Zed.

Each plug has its own coil pack which sits directly on top of the plug cap and is fed by two wires via a small connector.

The write up is done and has pics.

I even celibrated by waxing the car AGAIN. thats 4 waxes in a month now!! :teeth: Ran out of time and finished in the dark :scare:

Ming the Hand Sore