Another Type R comparison

Allen

Been on here for awhile now lurking in the background doing some research.

I've come from a car history of mainly Hondas (Integra DC5, Civic EK9, Civic EP3) and can not fault them.

I know they couldn't be much different but those that have made the change, how do you feel the compare performance wise?

I got to drive a 350Z a while back (very short drive) and felt somewhat... disappointed? I guess I'm used to Vtec engines so it just didn't feel like it accelerated as quick. Handling wise it was great. I'm guessing the rev range might have something to do with it?

Im ready to buy a Zed now so please restore my faith!

i've just swapped from a 350z to an S2000, there is a big difference between the 2 cars same as with other high revving hondas, and the cars require different driving styles.

i'd really recommend you go out and get a decent test drive. my first experience of a Zed test drive was a let down too, but thats cos i got to go in rush hour in heavy traffic, for 10 minutes.

2nd time i went out for over an hour and got to do a range of roads.

the Zed is very capable, the reason it might feel slower is that its so good at what it does you don't tend to notice it. the acceleration is so smooth as is the power delivery that it removes that manicness to it.

lot more torque with the zed, pulls in any gear with real ease. excellent cruiser; well worth the ownership :thumbs:

As Rich says, very different cars. The Hondas are very high reving, but not a lot of torque, on the other hand the Zed is a lot more lazy feeling, it has loads of torque but doesnt rev as high. It will pull in any gear at any speed though, and the power curve is so flat its very deceptive. They also limit throttle in the first 3 gears which means you dont get 100% ooomph by default.

Get out and have a proper test drive where you can give it a good ragging, you will be impressed. Just keep an eye on the speedo ;)

I know what your mean. My missis dad has a 3.2 TT and that felt the same, V6 is going accelerate and feel different.

With the Honda you know whats lying in wait at 6k revs and guess that pick up makes it feel fast.

Any "shunt" or increase in the torque curve will make it "feel" fast, thats why turbo cars feel so fast if they have turbo lag, as you get a good shunt when the torque suddenly shoots up, just like when vtec kicks in. Good (or bad) for the Zed is that the torque curve is very flat so its relentless, and you just dont realise how quick you are going :headhurt:

I've just moved over from an S2000 to 350z and desirabilty are comparable but how they both deliver power are completely different and you really do have to adjust your driving style from one to the other.

S2000 feels very lethargic prior to VTEC but when you hit it, it just signs! Whereas the 350z has plenty of low end grunt and you can end up being lazy with the gears!

CTR's iVTEC I find a bit better to live with on a day to day basis (I used to have one prior to S2K) as there is more useable low end torque.

I think my preference is I need something more easier to live with on a day to day basis. Whilst I dont use it for work the 350z fit the bill for me

I use to have a Integra R (DC-2). When I first test drove the Z I wasn't too impressed with how fast it felt. I think it's really to do with how much more refined the Z is compared to the Hondas'. Believe me the Z is not slow, it's quite easy to be doing close to 100 without realising, were as in the Integra anything over 50 meant I couldn't hear my stereo over the noise of the engine :) On a day to day basis the Z is much nicer to live with, you can pooter around town in 3rd gear all day long and never need to go over 2500RPm. May be I'm just old but I was actually glad to see my Type R go :scare:, for weekends it was amazing but I think the fact I spent most of time with the Type R been stuck in motorway traffic jams with no air-con meant I really fell out of love with it.

The Z on the other hand I'm enjoying more and more, ive had it for a few years now, and have only just started modding it (I blame CS :p ) For the money I think you struggle to find another car with the such a good balance of performance, handling, styling. If you do decide to go with the Z you wouldn't be disappointed, it takes a few weeks to get use to driving a car with torque but after that you wouldn't look back :thumbs: