Decent stereo in Z

mighty Z

Iam not happy with the stereo in my Z.

I cant get the cd player to display the track title ect which most stereos have been doing for atleast five years and it does nt even play mp3's cd's and you cant plug a mp3 player in either you dont f****** need a six disc multi cd nowadays :headhurt: and they advertise the gt with bose stereo like its something good I've seen better down the local cattle market for twenty pounds :rant:

The tops and mid range are ok but it does nt have enough bass the 10"is nt adeqaute.[not with that amp]

Iam hoping to get 2 12's in and a new amp has anyone managed to squeeze something simalar in?

Guest prescience

What do you think of the other GT options - I purposely never chose GT (have since had my seats recovered) primarily becuase I didn't think the Bose was up to much and the seat options (electric, heated were not important to me), but have wondered whether I am missing the Cruise as something worth having?

Sorry if it was a bit early to broaden this thread, and am sure others will post their opinions on the stereo and upgrades :blush:

tbh I was nt really after a gt/st I was after a normal uk/s because they weigh less and are slighty less money but the one I have seemed to much of a bargain to miss.

I dont use the cruise control I have had a little play and must admit I was really tired at the time but I found my self trying to slow down with the cruise instead of the brake as an automatic reaction and was having to think about using the brake all this only takes a split second but in my opinion it slows reaction times down so it cant be a good thing and i've never been idle so I wont bother again.

The tan leather is a bit to soft and I have already scratched my seat up[my jeans have zips on the pockets]

The heated seats are good when its cold :)

I cant get the cd player to display the track title ect which most stereos have been doing for atleast five years and it does nt even play mp3's cd's and you cant plug a mp3 player in either you dont f****** need a six disc multi cd nowadays :headhurt: and they advertise the gt with bose stereo like its something good I've seen better down the local cattle market for twenty pounds :rant:

The tops and mid range are ok but it does nt have enough bass the 10"is nt adeqaute.[not with that amp]

Iam hoping to get 2 12's in and a new amp has anyone managed to squeeze something simalar in?

'No highs, no lows, it must be BOSE'

I can understand where you're coming from regarding the compatibility, not the best. But a head unit change will result in a change in required for everything else......

As for the sound, how have you got it set up? For a vaguely decent sound, you'll need to fade it forwards a couple to get rid of the confusion from the rear mounted speakers. It also adds a slight definition to the bass. As for the 'one 10 isn't enough, I need 2 12's', I couldn't disagree more.

A decent 10" sub would give you more useable bass hands down. 12" subs do not have the snappiness you'd need for general listening unless you're putting mid bass drivers in the front doors? My last competition car had one 10" sub strapped to a proper amp and that could get all the way down to sub-sonic levels and still snap like mad on dance tracks. :) Please don't add a person's worth of weight with 2 12" subs, buy a decent 10 and spend the rest on proper install and finishing. Plus to do the 12's justice you'd need two amps.

And then you'll need to spend a lot of time listening to set it up, if music is your bag. Got plenty of test CD's if you're interested, so you can see what it should be doing. Depends how far you want to go! :)

'No highs, no lows, it must be BOSE'

I can understand where you're coming from regarding the compatibility, not the best. But a head unit change will result in a change in required for everything else......

As for the sound, how have you got it set up? For a vaguely decent sound, you'll need to fade it forwards a couple to get rid of the confusion from the rear mounted speakers. It also adds a slight definition to the bass. As for the 'one 10 isn't enough, I need 2 12's', I couldn't disagree more.

A decent 10" sub would give you more useable bass hands down. 12" subs do not have the snappiness you'd need for general listening unless you're putting mid bass drivers in the front doors? My last competition car had one 10" sub strapped to a proper amp and that could get all the way down to sub-sonic levels and still snap like mad on dance tracks. :) Please don't add a person's worth of weight with 2 12" subs, buy a decent 10 and spend the rest on proper install and finishing. Plus to do the 12's justice you'd need two amps.

And then you'll need to spend a lot of time listening to set it up, if music is your bag. Got plenty of test CD's if you're interested, so you can see what it should be doing. Depends how far you want to go! :)

Iam into rnb and hip hop and bassline house 10"'s dont provide a deep bass as you said it's more of a punchy bass which is no good to meI was thinking 2x T-rex's and a 2.5k amp for proper bass.

I think the biggest question is how much boot space are you prepared to loose in the need for your music.

To get 2 12" subs work as effectivly as they can would require you loosing a majority of your boot. I think you have some miss-givings about 10" subs. How many proper audio systems have you heard (I am not trying to take the **** just being serious). The box you put the sub in will make a HUGE amount of difference to the type of sound it outputs. If you got a box specially designed for an 10" you would probably be very supprised at what it can output.

Also the other factor is cost? Is there a reason you want 2 subs? 1 12" sub should be more than enough for daily driving unless you want to go to shows and play around in SPL type competions. If you spent 1.5 times as much on a single sub you will probably get a better sub that will perform just as well as the two would and you would save money and space.

I would say there is much better out there than the T-rex subs. If you are looking at a 2500rms amp I guess this is a serious amount of cash you are looking to spend?

I only listen to RnB etc. In my previous car I had a 10" Rockford subwoofer on a Rockford fosgate 700W rms amplifier. This does the job very well, no need for a bigger subwoofer....

I agree this Bose is junk and I'm thinking of replacing it as well, although I like to keep the interior as it is to keep the resale value.

I think the biggest question is how much boot space are you prepared to loose in the need for your music.

To get 2 12" subs work as effectivly as they can would require you loosing a majority of your boot. I think you have some miss-givings about 10" subs. How many proper audio systems have you heard (I am not trying to take the **** just being serious). The box you put the sub in will make a HUGE amount of difference to the type of sound it outputs. If you got a box specially designed for an 10" you would probably be very supprised at what it can output.

Also the other factor is cost? Is there a reason you want 2 subs? 1 12" sub should be more than enough for daily driving unless you want to go to shows and play around in SPL type competions. If you spent 1.5 times as much on a single sub you will probably get a better sub that will perform just as well as the two would and you would save money and space.

I would say there is much better out there than the T-rex subs. If you are looking at a 2500rms amp I guess this is a serious amount of cash you are looking to spend?

This is exactly my point on paying to have it installed properly. Something like a JL Audio 10W3 properly installed in a nice enclosure would give you a great sound. And in something the size of a Zed be more than capable in the volume stakes!

The other thing which people generally talk a lot of is how many watts things are. With the exception of those with regulated power supplies, none of the amps ever deliver that. Why? Because they're rated at a power input of 14.4v. How much power comes from a battery.....?? And by the time it's travelled down a thick cable etc etc. And then there's the resistance of the speaker.... This might help explain it.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps ... page_id=46

Speaking to a local dealer (those that have many brands and build their reputation on what they install) will mean what you buy you'll love. I've had two installs in my life time (albeit they were developed a lot over time!! :D ) it's because what I bought was right at the time. I put it down to good advice.

If you want a good sub and listen to a lot of R and B, do you want to buy a JL Audio 10W7 at all????? ;):teeth:

TBH I dont think I have ever seen a proper install.

I have seen alot of different set ups and have never seen one with 10"'s produce the deep bass Iam trying to achieve.

I would much rather keep the standard type interior no boxes and extra weight[Z is heavy enough as it is] but dont want to pay thousands for an install I was planning to buy most of the equiptment from the states.

So this speaker mentioned above will produce decent low level bass?

I already have an amp so if thats the case I only need a sub :)

Can I listen to this sub with one of my cd's.

TBH I dont think I have ever seen a proper install.

I have seen alot of different set ups and have never seen one with 10"'s produce the deep bass Iam trying to achieve.

I would much rather keep the standard type interior no boxes and extra weight[Z is heavy enough as it is] but dont want to pay thousands for an install I was planning to buy most of the equiptment from the states.

So this speaker mentioned above will produce decent low level bass?

I already have an amp so if thats the case I only need a sub :)

Can I listen to this sub with one of my cd's.

A proper install like this?

440boot.jpg

440Driversdoorcard.jpg

Prolinedriver.jpg

:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth: - even if I do say so myself!

OK, it's about matching the sub with the right power. A 10W7 will drop way beyond many other subs. I had people in the car with their CD's and they were convinced I had at least '2 12's' or more. When they saw the 1 10" they were gobsmacked. If you got one of these with a 500/1 amplifier, you would never ever get tired of the sheer brutality it could dish out. And I had the amp on minimum gain! Unfortunately it's been uninstalled. The car was stolen and I got it back today! :yahoo:

But if you want to hear a car with one in, I'm sure it could be arranged at a show sometime soon?

Where would you want to put it in the car?

I think you are going to struggle a huge amount to get a low dropping RnB style music without creating a new box using the boot. Using the stock location it mayb be possible but it will require a lot of custom work which all = cost

Even buying the stuff from the states you are still talking about a lot of money for the sort of system you are talking about power wise etc. although I think 2.5K is way over what you need.

I would expect that a proper system with 500W, 1000W max rms would be able to power a sub to your needs.

H5 does bring up the very valid point about power figures. It can have its +ves and -ves. The JL amps do have regulators which mean they only push out what they say they do but there are many amps out there which do quote at 12v so it means when the car is running i.e. 13.5/14v then you will get more power out of these amps - if you mostly listen to the system with the engine running this means you will get getting extra power most of the time.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll do a bit more research.

If you want something subtle, then there are many skilled people out there that enjoy the challenge of someone saying 'I want a better sound but don't want to ruin the look of my car'

Try these links to see what people can do: -

http://www.soundgallery.co.uk/

Go to car, then click on the image of the Bugatti and then on the big BBG logo. Then you'll get to a gallery. :thumbs:

http://www.sourcecars.com/gallery/galle ... index.html

Direct link.

Both the above know how to get an awesome sound, and are proven competition winners.

I had installs in my previous cars. I ran a sony install first and then I went to alpine and JL audio. I finished up with DLS stuff with JL audio subs. Oh, and 125 db.

I have heard some proper installs and believe me, if you want bone trembling bass then 12s will provide it but if you want all round usability and just good sound then 1 10" quality sub will be the best option.

For just driving about the bose system is fine, can lack bass but it's alright.

If I was to upgrade it it would be with high quality gear and loads of dynamat. You are looking at serious weight!

Cheap stuff is normally junk - get the good stuff, you'll really appreciate the difference

Thats what I mean! It'll shake you to bits but also offer exceptional sound quality at lower levels.

The W7 is an awesome bit of kit. I had W3s but they were slightly underpowered. I should have invested more but got fed up and moved on!

If I was to upgrade it it would be with high quality gear and loads of dynamat. You are looking at serious weight!

Cheap stuff is normally junk - get the good stuff, you'll really appreciate the difference

I did the same - got the flashy sony first then realised the error of my ways - I had a half decent system and just changing the HU from sony to alpine made a staggering amount of difference. Now I swear by Alpine HUs

Your right about dynamat, My doors sound really tinny how they have some really good components in them. Want to dynamat the lot but can't see me doing it. The door card is probably the worse. Might have a go at putting some on there.