K1 Fitted - New Problem Uncovered

SteveW

Its always the way isn't it, you get one thing sorted then find something else wrong.

Anyways today I got my new rear tyres put on and then went home and set about fitting my K1.

The backbox came off without too much of an issue, the mid pipe and Y pipe were a different story!

After a long time hammering swearing, bashing my knuckles and swinging on the nuts like a monkey in a tree I managed to get the Y pipe nuts off but could I buggary shift the Y pipe to mid pipe nuts! So out came the angle grinder.

One or two burns later and 3 hours in total the old exhaust was off. Got the new one on in an hour and it sounds excellent, with the bungs in its just the sound and volume I was after. Can be driven quiet but when you put your foot down :teeth:

So whilst I was swearing at the Y pipe nuts I noticed my NSF tyre has worn to completely slick on the inside edge i.e. 0mm tread. The rest of the tyre has 4mm of tread left and so does the OSF tyre all over, no uneven wear pattern on that one.

I had a look at all the suspension compoennts and nothing appears to be bent or loose etc. I'm puzzled to what has caused this but I think first job is a 4 wheel allignment session, hopefully this will fix the root cause, and more new tyres.....I've spent so much on the car this last month! :bangin:

when i fitted my k1 a couple of weeks ago i had no issues getting the OEM zorst off at all.

saying that though, i recently had a new clutch in and i think they may have taken the exhaust off to get to it, not sure.

as for the tyres, thats strange, had both my fronts done recently as both were worn right down on the inside but had good tread left on the middle adn outside, was even on both tyres though.

Common issue. I have 5mm centre and bald on inside. Still legal as it's only the part after the first line that counts. Will need changed after a track training day I'm heading too

when i fitted my k1 a couple of weeks ago i had no issues getting the OEM zorst off at all.

saying that though, i recently had a new clutch in and i think they may have taken the exhaust off to get to it, not sure.

Thats cheating, the garage that did the clutch will have had the exhaust and Y-pipe off, so it would have been dead easy for you! When I got my Nismo fitted, it was done at about 60k miles and they had to get the oxy torch out to remove the bolts :lol:

As for the tyres, you will always get a bit of extra wear on the inside due to camber and toe settings, but that sounds a bit extreme. Get it down to a 4 wheel alligment place and get the geometry checked.

Not worth DIY, garages do not charge much to replace a exhaust, let them do it imo

+1 but I am a little older.

I would agree with those statements, its just not worth the hassle.

If you could actually get some proper torque on the nuts, i.e. had a pit or two post ramp it wouldn't be too bad but for the few quid they charge next time I think it will be off to the garage.