Using a cold air feed pipe from grill to airbox

SeanyBeez

hi all,

was thinking of a cheap and effective way of improving cold air to the airbox, so was considering buying a cold air feed pipe with a inlet duct coming from the grill and then feeding into the airbox, i have seen a black one which would look ok on the grill for 20 squid!

the tubing is 80mm, which will slot perfectly into the hole for the intake to the airbox and then cut a small bit out from grill, and slot the inlet through it to the tube.

will it help with cold air getting to the airbox and what you guys think of the inlet comming through the grill?

thanks

No need to cut the grille. If you have a UK car (not sure if its the same for JDM), there is a removable plate on the air box side of the lower grille. Remove this and you can afix an intake tube to where that was fixed. Job done.

I did this temporarily with my pop charger and it lowered the IATs by maybe a degree, but help heatsoak a lot by dropping the temps quickly from a standstill.

See similar for £11.95 ;) or £15 f you include p&p.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

But frankly i would not bother if i where you and have the OEM Revup(GT4 or 2006-2007) airbox :p

If its the DE (<2006) airbox you got then you will improve things massively with swapping for a revup one and a decent panel filter :thumbs: because the OEM setup is well designed RAM type intake and takes only cold air from outside the engine bay. The DE is moderately restricted at the intake trumpet within the box but this was redesigned in the Revup cars B) Frankly you would be hard pressed to better the setup with any aftermarket upgrade unless its for the noise :p

The stock airbox/intake is nothing like a ram air intake. Yes it is a cold air intake as it takes air from outside the engine bay, but its not ram air ;)

Sorry Chris it is RAM type intake. While for e.g the pop charger is an short ram intake(SRI) :p;) :

"A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power". -WIKI

more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ram_air_intake

"It is setup as a semi-ram type intake. Under speed, the front grill area directs air into the "snout" behind the bumper and pressurizes the airbox. The stock airbox provides great heat shielding for the filter. After going through the filter, air travels up a slightly curved plastic tube where it reaches the throttle body". - 350z tech

Well good luck getting any ram effect out of it. While I agree there could be a slight pressure increase at speed, its not a proper ram air intake. When sportsbikes started using them, they were proven to be pretty minimal and that was on high revving engines that had the air traveling straight into the intake and through a filter into the engine, with minimal amounts of bends. Our intakes have far to many bends for ram air to be effective.

Which is why i decribed it a a "ram type" to mean it had some ram effects. Just like we aggree its a CAI too ;) Or should i have said semi ram type :lol:

Bottom line we are both trying to tell the OP the OEM airbox esp the revup one by itself is more than adequate if performance only is what he wants right?

Which is why i decribed it a a "ram type" to mean it had some ram effects. Just like we aggree its a CAI too ;) Or should i have said semi ram type :lol:

Bottom line we are both trying to tell the OP the OEM airbox esp the revup one by itself is more than adequate if performance only is what he wants right?

Yup :teeth:

All I was getting at is that ram air isnt very effective at the best of times, so any claim to be semi ram air will make faff all difference unless you are doing 200MPH+ :lol:

somthing liek this you mean ??

IMG_0165.jpg

not very clear buts it an 80mm pipe from the fron bumper sraihgt up the air box , unlikly to give any ram air effect Chris said , youd need one heck of a funnel for that to work so big the drag wouldnt be worth it. does howver give nice cold air , plenum and pipe now feel much cooler after a dirve im prety sure its doing somthing even if theres no gains.

you can only get as much air as the filter/pipe allow. ;)

its mainly to get cold air in and secondary increase the air flow (a bit)... more air doesnt always mean faster car...more like dry cylinders.... :p

everything within reason :D

Well fi is based on the same theory....been called a cheap man's turbo :p

Big enough fuel that would be capable to be pushed into the airbox (closed) box would make a difference I'd say. Hard to prove really since a dyno could not be used. Might be some possible calculation on how big the funnel need to be....

lol, feel i have started something here!! :scare:

well the info is good, i mean you guys are dedicated like, i only thought putting some direct cold air into the airbox would help heat soak and also possibly help low range driving because it is more direct?

im tempted to get one and see if it does help and then maybe get a uprev 06> airbox with a K&N panel filter, hopefully it will keep everything cool and maybe give the lower gears a smoother ride.

i meen with the nostrel inlet do you get a diffrence in the lower gears due to more direct air whilst moving at lower speeds?

thanks again for all the replys such a gud site!! :thumbs:

lol, feel i have started something here!! :scare:

well the info is good, i mean you guys are dedicated like, i only thought putting some direct cold air into the airbox would help heat soak and also possibly help low range driving because it is more direct?

im tempted to get one and see if it does help and then maybe get a uprev 06> airbox with a K&N panel filter, hopefully it will keep everything cool and maybe give the lower gears a smoother ride.

i meen with the nostrel inlet do you get a diffrence in the lower gears due to more direct air whilst moving at lower speeds?

thanks again for all the replys such a gud site!! :thumbs:

two ways....one get a pipe all the way behind the bumper, second use the air inlet on the bumper. cant say which one is best since i havent seen same car with both set ups on the same dyno. plus long pipe works differently than a short one...again i dont know which is best...

then you need a remap as the ecu will cancel any mod but the plenum spacer :thumbs:

Also were can i get one of these airbox's?

thanks again peeps :clap:

ebay, traders on here... Zmanalex is my man but have a look at the traders bit, sarah (chilli red), r35lee (lee) and lots more ;)

its not an air box...its just an inlet type thing that makes the hole on your bumper look decent and guides air on the after market air filter (kn, nismo etc). if you are using the standard box i dont know if and what you can do :D

the bumper hole will be better as its more direct anda shorter path but as i wasnt about to cut a big hole in my bumper i went ducted. as i said though it almsot certianly makes no measureable power but i know its keeps the piping to the Tb cooler whihc is always good .