Import Specs

Martyn

Hi Guys, this would be post #1 from me :teeth:

Ive been looking into getting a 350 for about a month now and ive got my heart set on a GT but unfortunately theres not many UK cars for my budget (around 17k).

Im kind of wary about getting a JDM but reading the posts on here have warmed me to it!

Question is how do i know what spec the car is without trusting what the dealer says? Are there certain buttons/ things to look for to prove the car is an ST and not jut a T for example?

Do you give away any toys by getting a JDM over a UK car? do they all come with traction control for example?

Sorry if these have been asked to death before, just trying not to spend all my cash on a dud :thumbs:

Oh wait... you dont get off that easy... just remebered some more :p

Steering wheel buttons... very few seem to have them, does that mean they dont have the gizmos, or JDMs just have plain wheels?

The Bose stereo was a big factor in me going GT (well obv the leather aswell ;) ) but is it really as pants as i hear? thats a damn shame :thumbdown:

:welcome: try here for explainations about JDM's

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1781

Your question abiout steering wheel buttons?? these are the cruise control/ radio buttons on higher spec Jap imports..Radio upgrade is totally useless as it wont pick up UK stations, (you can try a band expander I know I did , but dont seem very successful :blush: ) best thing is to junk the head unit and replace with another again what I did on mine .. Sony unit dirt cheap :thumbs:

Same goes for sat Nav , wont work in the Uk without spending £800+ ( nobody I know on here has bothered )

If you are going to modify your car (wheels , Radio, etc. ) , again like I have , probably best to buy a base model..

Oh wait... you dont get off that easy... just remebered some more :p

Steering wheel buttons... very few seem to have them, does that mean they dont have the gizmos, or JDMs just have plain wheels?

The Bose stereo was a big factor in me going GT (well obv the leather aswell ;) ) but is it really as pants as i hear? thats a damn shame :thumbdown:

:welcome: Martyn!! Opinions on the BOSE vary and I suspect a lot of that is down to personal experience. From my point of view the system is good, the sub kicks well and overall its a decent sound. I especially like the fact that I haven't got to mess around with the interior to try to shoehorn other things in there like I probably would have if I go down the route of aftermarket. Plus I think theres a certain bit more security with having the standard fit unit in there - less likely to get a brick through the window I think. If you're really into your quality sound then I think you will find the BOSE setup lacking but unless you're used to very high quality I think it will fit the bill fine.

Again, afaik the ESP (traction) is standard regardless.

Other toys you get with JDM, again afaik, its a couple of annoying beeps (like when you put it in reverse) but a nice touch is dipping wing mirrors when reverse is selected - you don't get this on UK.

Hope this helps.

Now thats a speedy reply service :thumbs:

Thanks for the info guys. Am i right in thinking the stereo upgrade comes with 7 or so speakers aswell though... so worth getting even if i ditch the head unit?

Im going to look at a couple this weekend *fingers crossed* but what is it with all the good ones being at least 180 miles away :angry:

Now thats a speedy reply service :thumbs:

Thanks for the info guys. Am i right in thinking the stereo upgrade comes with 7 or so speakers aswell though... so worth getting even if i ditch the head unit?

Im going to look at a couple this weekend *fingers crossed* but what is it with all the good ones being at least 180 miles away :angry:

Dont know about speaker situation?? someone will have some idea's though I'm sure shortly :D what colour are you going for? what budget are you on?

Budget is 14k + whatever i can talk them into paying as trade in for my current car! (celica) so looking at about 17 i think. Also considering saving to 18/19k as the lurvely ones seem to start about there, but i'm impatient :D

Colour is a tad trickier. First thoughts were Kuro Black but i have to say that Gunmetal is growing on me :wacko: Trying to avoid silver for the simple reason that every damn car on the road is silver these days! Will have to see a few in the flesh (err metal) before i decide i think.

Budget is 14k + whatever i can talk them into paying as trade in for my current car! (celica) so looking at about 17 i think. Also considering saving to 18/19k as the lurvely ones seem to start about there, but i'm impatient :D

Colour is a tad trickier. First thoughts were Kuro Black but i have to say that Gunmetal is growing on me :wacko: Trying to avoid silver for the simple reason that every damn car on the road is silver these days! Will have to see a few in the flesh (err metal) before i decide i think.

Ok .. at least there wont be ANOTHER blue one in Manchester :headhurt:

£17-19K should get you a belter in this market :thumbs:

hi pal........ my jdm has every thing a gt has except brembos and cruise control..... you will have to ditch the bose and get a facia kit.... the speakers will be fine to keep and run off the bose amp....... i fitted an alpine head unit... :teeth:

• 1 month later...

hi mate. you've prompted me to make my first post after lurking for a while. sounds like you are in a very similar situation to me. I'm currently looking to purchase a Z, similar budget, and trading in my celica too!

had a look at a UK model at a main dealer the other weekend and had a drive :thumbs: but I'm now leaning towards an import (uk ones still a bit pricey for me)

I'd be interested to know how you get on, so keep us posted!!

I have lots of questions to start asking but i'll save them for another post, don't want to hijack yours.

btw, part ex value offered for my celica was terrible.

hi mate. you've prompted me to make my first post after lurking for a while. sounds like you are in a very similar situation to me. I'm currently looking to purchase a Z, similar budget, and trading in my celica too!

had a look at a UK model at a main dealer the other weekend and had a drive :thumbs: but I'm now leaning towards an import (uk ones still a bit pricey for me)

I'd be interested to know how you get on, so keep us posted!!

I have lots of questions to start asking but i'll save them for another post, don't want to hijack yours.

btw, part ex value offered for my celica was terrible.

:welcome: mate! :thumbs:

I managed to find what I think is a good car on eBay recently. On Sunday 29th Oct in fact hehe

Took a few months of constant looking on Autotrader, Pistonheads and eBay but I got there in the end. It just proves that you can get a good car, GT spec for the sort of money you guys have, just be patient and stick to your requirements.