Whine in low gears... Rear diff or gearbox???

felex6

I have a whining noise coming from the rear of the car (doesn’t seem like from the gearbox) when in 1st and 2nd gears around 2000 rpm when the foot is off accelerator but car is in gear. It was there when I bought the car but since it can be only heard in 1st and 2nd gears I did not think there was a problem.

This week, a friend of mine who runs a tuning shop heard the noise and said that something could be wrong. He reckons a rear diff needs an oil change.

th_P5051134.jpg

Car is 2007 model with 7.5k miles on clock and has had P1 and P2 services, another P1 is due now. Nissan’s warranty has expired in April but I still have extended 6 months, not that it would make any difference…

So my question is if such noise is normal? If not, should I change rear diff oil? Any other ideas? Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I could not find anything in search results…

I already established car’s got a noisy flywheel and release bearing is not at its 100%. These will be upgraded soon anyway. There’s also an unresolved roof issue and the last thing I need is a faulty diff, or even worse, a gearbox :(

Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Taras :)

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions here but to me there should be no whining in 7k miles car :blink: Judging by absence of replies I take it this is normal and I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks anyway :)

Good news so far :thumbs:

I've ordered some Silkolene Syn 5, will see if changing oil would make any difference.

Thanks

Hmmm like I said above, I had my gearbox reconditioned (2007 model with 18k on the clock) last week. I hate to say it but it sounded just like your video! Who is your warranty with, Nissan? If it is get it straight down there. I wish I had recorded a video of mine before it went in but just having it back now mine sounds completely different, all you can hear is the engine and that doesn't whine.

I think its probably one of the bearings on the gearbox, likely in my opinion to be the input shaft bearing thats gone.

I also have a very quiet whine, I'm 99% sure what most people think is the clutch release bearing (common fault on the 350Z) is actually the gearbox input shaft bearing. I had this before on my Punto and it was very similar to the noises coming from the 350z. When the clutch goes I'll be taking the gearbox off and having the input shaft bearing replaced.

I have no noise at all in neutral with the clutch pressed in but get a rumbly/ additional noise when it is released.

Hope you get yours sorted mate.

Steve

Seriously, I give up... This car has brought me nothing but trouble in 3 months ownership. First noisy release bearing or flywheel (whatever it is it makes noise in neutral), then faulty roof, now gearbox input shaft. What's next?!? Nissan's warranty is nothing but crappy promises and excuses.. Waste of hard earned money if you ask me now. I'll just drive the thing until it falls apart. :cry:

Seriously, I give up... This car has brought me nothing but trouble in 3 months ownership. First noisy release bearing or flywheel (whatever it is it makes noise in neutral), then faulty roof, now gearbox input shaft. What's next?!? Nissan's warranty is nothing but crappy promises and excuses.. Waste of hard earned money if you ask me now. I'll just drive the thing until it falls apart. :cry:

Get an engineers report, there are people that do it. Book it into Nissan complaining of the noise, present the report and something will get done. I am confident at those miles you should not have that noise! Do it now before it's too late and you're out of warranty.

I'm out of warranty now. A decision on my roof fault hasn't been made yet. I'm looking at new roof install.. £5,000 excluding labour. Happy days...

Have another 6 months of extended warranty given to me by the dealer but doubt that would be smoother than Nissan's warranty.

I've replaced diff oil with Silkolene syn 5. The oil that came out was dirty and thick. Plug had build up on it. Wasn't expecting to see that on a car with 7k miles :(

Anyway, the whine is still there. Next will be looking at gearbox. Only I wish I knew where to start... :blink:

P5131164-1.jpg

P5131157-1.jpg

P5131159-1.jpg