RCA AV Extension Cables?

rtbiscuit

Am in the process of wiring up the loom for my new headunit i will have 2 spare RCA slots 1 is video in and the other video out. i might plan to use them at some point but i don't want to have to take the headunit out again. the plan is to connect up 2 RCA leads to these points and basically extend the connection point to somewhere more reachable at a later date.

my problem is i'm struggling to find what i need, i don't know much about RCA leads and don't know if they are all the same or different depending on use.

they only need to be about 1.5 metres long and i think they need to be RCA to RCA and definitly single wire. dont need one with 1 rca at one end and 2 or 3 at the other.

any one know a good place to get them from?

and i hope i made sense :wacko:

Am in the process of wiring up the loom for my new headunit i will have 2 spare RCA slots 1 is video in and the other video out. i might plan to use them at some point but i don't want to have to take the headunit out again. the plan is to connect up 2 RCA leads to these points and basically extend the connection point to somewhere more reachable at a later date.

my problem is i'm struggling to find what i need, i don't know much about RCA leads and don't know if they are all the same or different depending on use.

they only need to be about 1.5 metres long and i think they need to be RCA to RCA and definitly single wire. dont need one with 1 rca at one end and 2 or 3 at the other.

any one know a good place to get them from?

and i hope i made sense :wacko:

Hmm im not too sure but i think Maplins do a rca female to female so you can add another rca. how good they would be at blocking out noise and whine im not sure. The rca's are usally to connect an amp to the head unit. i dont think its an rca to hook up an amp is it?

premium_coax_rca_or_3ft.jpg

The one you said its single wire to 2 or 3 would be a Y or W splitter. What are you needing it for video or audio?

Does it look like the ones below?

6%20FT.%20RCA%20Video%20Cable.jpg

Sorry if that doesnt make sense

6%20FT.%20RCA%20Video%20Cable.jpg

are these not RCA leads?

i think its that type but i think it needs to be a male to female lead. needs to be male to connect to the current cable end and female at the other end ready for when i want to add something to it.

one is for AV in

the other is for AV out

proposed plan is that in the future i might be adding in a tv tuner to the AV in or some kind of OBDII converter

and AV out plan might be in the future to hook up secondary screens in the car maybe in the visor for the passenger for watching movies.

but for now all i want to do is keep the same style of connector on the back of the headunit, but just move it 1.5 metres away from its current location.

+1 maplins are cheapest adnw ill have everything you need , i have a set of 3 running up to my cubby for iphone video etc.

what you want is male female so what ever the cable coming form the head unit is youl be left with the same, again maplins will have all sorts of single double and triple.

if i was to get a "W" lead so it has a single start but finishes with a red, white and yellow connector do i need to use all the connectors,

am i right in thinking that red and white connectors are for audio and yellow is for video.

if i used 1 for video in and another for video out, it should mean i'm prepped for any situation and also cut down on the risk of interference as it will be just the one cable instead of piggy backing cables together.

sorry if these questions seem silly its just audio world is something i've never dabbled with and its a whole new area to learn. and i'm starting right at the beginning :blush:

I get what your saying and it should be fine to run that mate not that I've ever used either the red or White ones for video but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could try it indoors with the xbox or dvd player to make sure. You can also get in line adaptors to connect two male ends together if you like that type of thing ;)

if i was to get a "W" lead so it has a single start but finishes with a red, white and yellow connector do i need to use all the connectors,

am i right in thinking that red and white connectors are for audio and yellow is for video.

if i used 1 for video in and another for video out, it should mean i'm prepped for any situation and also cut down on the risk of interference as it will be just the one cable instead of piggy backing cables together.

You would need 2 W leads and they'd provide absolutely no gain over a normal m-f RCA lead, infact could even be worse.

Your rite in thinking that Red and White are normally audio and Yellow is video but any RCA can be used for any task. They are all wired the same inside. The colours are just to instantly make it obvious what they are for. They could just as easily be numbers 1,2,3 because all the colours really allow you to do is plug one end into the device and not have to follow the wire all the way down to ensure you put the other end in the correct palce.

[

Your rite in thinking that Red and White are normally audio and Yellow is video but any RCA can be used for any task. They are all wired the same inside. The colours are just to instantly make it obvious what they are for. They could just as easily be numbers 1,2,3 because all the colours really allow you to do is plug one end into the device and not have to follow the wire all the way down to ensure you put the other end in the correct palce.

that was going to be my next question, so basically if i buy this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5m-twin-Philips ... 2608wt_939

i only need the 1 cable and it will do the job

amazing what you learn on a forum :D

that will do audio but not video , or video and one audio channel. if you want to run a fully usable video and audio input you need one with 3 cables.

can i not use that as an extender cable and then if i need to plug a w cable in to one of them if its needed

w cable ?? that ebay will only extend 2 of the 3 connections needed for a full video and audio connection.

i thought i had just AV in and AV out for 2 different items, both only have 1 connector

will go and check now jsut to make sure :blush:

right just been to check the back of the headunit; i have spare on the back of my headunit:

1 single yellow connector labelled: video out (my understanding is it only needs a single video out as sound is already supplied through the headunit to the speakers so all the video out is doing is putting the picture on a second screen/screens

1 single yellow connector labelled: video in (if i wanted to add an alternate source like a playstation or a TV tuner, but it would only give me the video picture, as it would need to be used in conjunction with the line in cables)

1 double connector (1 red, 1 white) labelled: line in (to be used in conjunction with the video in cable with out these 2 i would have picture but no sound)

1 turquoise connector labelled: subwoofer (not needed as the ict wireing harness etc is taking care of all this. if i however changed to new speakers then all of it would go through the RCA's on the back.)

they all have the same style connector as the one that is on my reverse camera.

so my thinking is i need 1 3 line RCA connector for the video in to incorporate av in and the line in

and 1 single RCA for the video out.

have i got it right now :lol:

you should have ...

video in , 1 cable for reversing camera

AV in 3 cables , 1 video and 2 audio

AV out 3 cables , 1 video 2 audio

i have a separate reverse camera in put and already used it

my AV out has no audio out.

you should have ...

video in , 1 cable for reversing camera

AV in 3 cables , 1 video and 2 audio

AV out 3 cables , 1 video 2 audio

i have a separate reverse camera in put and already used it

my AV out has no audio out.

Av out is for adding another screen, or screen.

That'll give you a wire to the extended location but to put anything else into it you'll need a coupler as that's gonna give you male ends and you'll need female ends for the new equipment to plug in (all equipment will be male ends, the equipment you plug it into is always female)

This'll work for coupluing them