oil pressure during spirited revs

yokomo

just got back from an airport pick up run and noticed my oil pressure seems a little erm erratic , checked the level seems OK.

normally once warm its about 60/half way cruisng on the motorway with 3k but rises to 90+ if you drop a cog and bring the revs up but today it picked up a little but wouldnt really go past 90 or even too it it just hover between 60 and 90.

drove to brum and back yesterday and didnt notice any issues then so im wondering if its A)normal ish and in my head just not noticed B)the senders going /gone or maybe just a guage quirk (once had the fuel guage go to 0 for no reason dte said 100 miles and warning light up

or hopefully not that my oil pump is fooked and not giving the pressure it should :(

hoping for just in my head or the gauge nuts.

Im going to Dundee from Aberdeen today so ill keep an eye on it... as i was wondering what it Should be aswell

I dont know if this helps but when i recently done the iPod mod when the top dials and heater control panel control unit was disconnected my petrol gauge read empty with the warning light on

This is normal, you shouldnt really drive the car hard until the oil is warm, I normally wait for 2500rpm and just over 60psi as an indication. I have found that when on track @ 6000rpm the pressure doesnt go much over 70psi, as the oil is much thinner when hot.

This is normal, you shouldnt really drive the car hard until the oil is warm, I normally wait for 2500rpm and just over 60psi as an indication. I have found that when on track @ 6000rpm the pressure doesnt go much over 70psi, as the oil is much thinner when hot.

thank god for that !

dont normally give it any revs at all till the guge drops to 30 ish at idle and the water temps up to normal , thinkim going to make catch can my next mod though as im sure its spitting a bit through the system plus they look cool :)

What oil are you using as that can effect the readings? 30psi at idle is quite high but a good inidcator that nothing is seriously wrong.

Obviously you checked the oil levels when cold, but as the 276/296 dipsticks are a pain in the proverbial to read accurately it might be worth double checking. I found that by monitoring the oil pressure guage that gave me an indication of the oil level changing - as the 296 engine did consume oil, and as soon as I saw the reading was not as high as the usual reading at a steady 60mph in 6th gear that was the time to add more ;)

i gave it a glug soon as i thought it was warm and was not looking liek normal so it may be a touch high for now. running on 5-30 fully synth.

do really hate the dipstick , was designed by a dipstick. you pull it after its been wiped and still has oil all over the darn thing ! i recon if someone made a dipstick re locate kit it would sell !

• 4 weeks later...

HI All,

Just opening this up again, i never really keep an eye on the oil pressure, i sort of figured that with there being enough oil in teh car it shoudl be fine.

But this morning i started the car, and noticed just after starting the oil pressure seemed quite high (around 60) then i drove to work (about 10 mins drive) and keep an eye on it when i was pulling away quite heavly the oil went up to (70-90) which concerned me a little as it seemed quite close to the final line mark... when i got to work it went back down to around 60-65

Should i be worried? i recently topped up the car gave it about another 1/4 of a litre a few days ago have only driven it to work once or twice since then. it doesnt look overful on the dipstick but im a little concerned it might be giving me bad readings...

(When it comes to oil i am always really nervous!)

Let me know

Thanks

HI All,

Just opening this up again, i never really keep an eye on the oil pressure, i sort of figured that with there being enough oil in teh car it shoudl be fine.

But this morning i started the car, and noticed just after starting the oil pressure seemed quite high (around 60) then i drove to work (about 10 mins drive) and keep an eye on it when i was pulling away quite heavly the oil went up to (70-90) which concerned me a little as it seemed quite close to the final line mark... when i got to work it went back down to around 60-65

Should i be worried? i recently topped up the car gave it about another 1/4 of a litre a few days ago have only driven it to work once or twice since then. it doesnt look overful on the dipstick but im a little concerned it might be giving me bad readings...

(When it comes to oil i am always really nervous!)

Let me know

Thanks

Pressure is always fairly high when it's cold so I dont think you have anything to worry about. As long as it's at 60 psi at 60 mph in 6th gear when warm you're fine :thumbs:

okie dokie, i will drive around abit tonight and see if i can monitor it.

When acclerating hard, once warm should it go up or down or stay the same?

It will always rise/fall with a rise/fall in engine speed (revs go up, pressure goes up) whether warm or cold, but 60 psi at 60 mph in 6th gear when fully warmed up is what you should be looking for. That's how I judge mine is fully warm ready for spirited driving (rather than relying on the water temp).

so on a side note how bad is it for the engine if you are doing a short journey with a few spirited parts when teh engine isnt fully warmed up?

Just thinking should i think twice when i have to pull out on to the main road on my drive into work, and maybe find larger gaps rather then giving it some welly and having some fun...

Let me know,

so on a side note how bad is it for the engine if you are doing a short journey with a few spirited parts when teh engine isnt fully warmed up?

Just thinking should i think twice when i have to pull out on to the main road on my drive into work, and maybe find larger gaps rather then giving it some welly and having some fun...

Let me know,

You really shouldn't rev the engine too much while the oil is cold - it will accelerate wear. I never take mine above about 3000 rpm until the oil is nicely warmed up......