Possible custom box- UPDATE 21/04

Shaun1982

Yeah it will run two of these :lol:

In what now? :headhurt: i just went out with dad,measured bits then made the awesomeness that is the cardboard template :band:

Shaun, i'll model your kicker in BBP and let you know what volume it suggests for best performance. I would go for a single 12" sealed enclosure with the amp that you have. BBP should show us the way bud.. i'll come back to you sortly.. :thumbs:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be using mdf andlid

aright, was hoping you'd say fibreglass and you'd be able to let me know how to do it :lol:

Don't forget to take into account the thickness of the mdf material and that it'll lower the volume all around if you only use surface measures :thumbs:

Shaun, i ran the numbers through bbp. I used min and max volume from the S12L7 owners manual and i also used bbp to optimise a volume based on best fidelity.

These are the results...

Manual recommended minimum (Orange plot line)

volume 24.9 ltr F3 55.05Hz

Manual recommended maximum (Green plot line)

volume 56.6 ltr F3 52.14Hz

BBP recommended hi fidelity (Yellow plot line)

volume 45.84ltr F3 52.3Hz

bbp_plot.jpg

Plot is sound level (dB) against frequency (Hz).

F3 is a measurement used to indicate the lowest audible frquency from a system.

*BBP also shows that the S12L7 is more suited to a sealed enclosure than a ported enclosure.

So, if it were me i would be looking to build an enclosure with an internal volume of 46 ltr (don't forget about driver displacement - the speaker takes up volume too). I would use an all mdf construction using 18mm sheet all round, but using a double layer for the baffle (the face where the woofer mounts).

Hope that helps :thumbs:

Cheers Ikarus,im hoping to pop out & get the materials shortly. If i lose 20cm of width then that should bring it down a fair whack shouldnt it?plus the extra volume the sub takes like you said & a double front too :thumbs:

scratch that,i can lose 10cm width. That leaves me a few cm's either side of the sub face still then. Now i need to figure if i can get everything built from one 8x4 sheet from B&Q,then how to get it cut to eliminate wastage plus get it in the back of dads Hyundai coupe :headhurt:

Cheers Ikarus,im hoping to pop out & get the materials shortly. If i lose 20cm of width then that should bring it down a fair whack shouldnt it?plus the extra volume the sub takes like you said & a double front too :thumbs:

scratch that,i can lose 10cm width. That leaves me a few cm's either side of the sub face still then. Now i need to figure if i can get everything built from one 8x4 sheet from B&Q,then how to get it cut to eliminate wastage plus get it in the back of dads Hyundai coupe :headhurt:

:snack:

Np.

If you make the box too big then you can fine tune the volume by adding more wood inside.

I managed all the mdf for my 3 enclosures in an mx5 - took some planning but anything is possible - made good use of B&Q's wood cutting facility though :)

Good luck with it, remember to get some pics up as you go.. :thumbs:

Ok guys,im just uploading the pics i took from my blackberry so ill get them up shortly.The box is nearly finished though :bounce: leaving it overnight for the sealant to go off then it just needs the hole for the sub cut out. :thumbs:

I hope your not expecting a piece of art here :lol:

Hopefully ill get the photos in some sort of order for you :)

Ok lets do this

I took some of this

IMG00057-20100406-1458.jpg

and this

IMG00059-20100406-1459.jpg

Then i cut a few of the sections i needed

IMG00058-20100406-1458.jpg

Those then became this

IMG00060-20100406-1514.jpg

then so on

IMG00061-20100406-1518.jpg

up to this stage

IMG00062-20100406-1616.jpg

Next i thought it best that i find out if it still went in its place, fortunately it did :D

IMG00063-20100406-1631.jpg

IMG00064-20100406-1631.jpg

So,back in the garage to start making the sides,also adding the speaker connection port

IMG00065-20100406-1731.jpg

IMG00066-20100406-1731.jpg

Thats todays progress for you peeps,not very interesting i know, ill give you one final photo.........The aftermath :lol:

IMG00067-20100406-1732.jpg

That took about 5 hours i think Yoko.To be honest as long as the box is sealed fine im not bothered about its looks as its getting covered up at the front & top anyway ;)

Having said that though i think making the covers to fit the shape of the strut and the area between the strut & bulkhead will be the hard part :thumbdown:

if you just mena to give a flat look wiht out the gaps at the side that shouldnt be to hard , just put some carboard up agaisnt it and draw round to make a demplate. should be both funcational and look quite good once your done , it always looks like cr*p mid way through maing it so your doing pretty well. when i make my fibeglass boxes that look reallllllllllly bad til thyre sanded and covered !