Engine stutter when cruising

Tonser

Evening all

I havent used my 54plate uk GT (53k) much since before Christmas as I've been working away. It sad outside through the winter snow for 7 weeks without being touched and as such the battery died. I replaced the battery and all seemed fine....until yesterday.

I was out on the M25, the first motorway run I've done in it since the battery change. When cruising at around 2500 rpm in any gear the engine stutters, and feels like it wants to cut out. If you accelerate it pulls fine, and if you lift off the throttle it idles fine, but try to hold the speed steady and it stutters. After the M25, it cut out on me on 2 occasions, both times after pulling away enthusiastically through 1st and 2nd, then braking hard - the engine died, and all electrics, power steering went off too, which was a little unnerving ! Both times it restarted straight away and seemed fine. The fuel tank was low, with 25 miles showing as remaining.

It is pretty stock, except for an earthing kit and a pop charger.

So what to do ? I'm thinking an ECU reset having had the flat battery. Do you think a throttle position reset too ? Any thing else that might be the cause ?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Thanks guys :) I'll be checking the battery and earthing connections before I do anything else

Is there a benefit to doing an ECU reset anyway, or should it only be done if really necessary ?

Tony

wont do any harm, but dont think this is the issue

Well I got 5 mins today to have a quick look.... opened up the bonnet to find the pop charger no longer connected to the inlet pipe, but rolling around in the front corner of the engine bay :thumbdown:

I fixed it back in to place (the jubliee clip had worked loose) and checked all the battery / grounding kit connections which were all fine, and the battery was clamped firmly in place.

I wasnt able to take it for a spin, but will do in the morning - hopefully that'll of been the problem. :thumbs:

Note to self - lift the bonnet and take a look before posting about problems :blush:

Tony