help with camber adjustment

jonty

Hi, i have just had my cars geometry checked after my front wheels seem to have worn the inner edge v low. The toe at the rear and front were everso slightly out and have been moved back to what they should be, but the guys at the garage said that the camber was out and that was maybe causing the wear on the front wheels. Ill give you some details and maybe some one can give me some advice!

The car is a 2004 model with 21000 on the clock. I think it has the original tyres on it from day 1 ( i have orderd 4 new ones) .

The camber on the left is -1*04' and right is -0*55' They said the car should be -0*35 +/-0*45'

So the right one is ok but the left is out, they said its due to the suspension sagging and wear etc and the only way roud it is getting adjustable camber arms. Has anyone else had to do this? It seems rather strange that a 6year old car with only 20k on the clock would need after market camber adjusters to bring it to standerd camber? Will it do any harm just leaving it as is? :wacko:

Hi, i have just had my cars geometry checked after my front wheels seem to have worn the inner edge v low. The toe at the rear and front were everso slightly out and have been moved back to what they should be, but the guys at the garage said that the camber was out and that was maybe causing the wear on the front wheels. Ill give you some details and maybe some one can give me some advice!

The car is a 2004 model with 21000 on the clock. I think it has the original tyres on it from day 1 ( i have orderd 4 new ones) .

The camber on the left is -1*04' and right is -0*55' They said the car should be -0*35 +/-0*45'

So the right one is ok but the left is out, they said its due to the suspension sagging and wear etc and the only way roud it is getting adjustable camber arms. Has anyone else had to do this? It seems rather strange that a 6year old car with only 20k on the clock would need after market camber adjusters to bring it to standerd camber? Will it do any harm just leaving it as is? :wacko:

The front camber factory settings with 18" rims is -1*20' Min 0*10' Max.

So the figures that you have stated are within tolerance

Alex :)

ahh brill, thank you- i was worried for a minute there! seems like they were just trying to sell me camber adjusters then :doh: is there any info on here what the rest of the cars toe/camber/castor angles should be? Would be interesting to compare the rest of my data with what its supposed to be rather than what they have told me its supposed to be!

Personally that is too much difference in my opinion. I used to run Impreza STi's and the standard 'acceptable' factory tollerance was similar to that stated above... just because its within tollerance doesn't mean its good, even though the dealer said 'yes its fine'...

I used to get torque steer, lift off over steer 1 direction only & a skittish drive on B roads. Had the geometry completely set up so all wheels were at the correct settings and both on the same axle back & front were matched... transformed the car and handling, it felt totally planted, was like a different car all together. It may be ok for your average euro box to be set like that, but surely a 300bhp RWD sports car needs a little more accuracy? Only my humble opinion from experience of others.

Having said that this is now the second zed & so far have had no tyre wear issues in the repect that you describe but did have some funny wearing on the rear of the original B'stones... put that down to wheel spin though!!

How are adjustable camber arms gonna sort out the "sagging" suspension!! If it i sagging then try and get some more rear dampers off ebay (your springs should be ok).

As Alex says its within tollerence so it may be just that they are original tyres and they do wear on the inside..

I think putting up the printout of the alignment before and after will be a good idea as some of the alignment chaps donot have a clue ;)

There is no such thing as "everso slightly" especially with Toe which has a very small range. Also on each axle you want to match the settings as close as posible within the nearest seconds rather than minutes :wacko:

As Mark said "saggy" suspension is a different kettle of fish and may imply the damper is gone or going but it will not explain tire wear and at 20k i doubt its the issue. Toe is the biggest culprit dynamically and camber over time.

yeah to be honest i think the sagging suspension bit is a load of rubbish, i think they may get it on old skylines but not on a 20k 6 year old car thats been in london most of its life! I think its just the crappy tyres that are on it, my new ones should be here in a few days- cant wait! :teeth: Ill hopefully get the print out up tonight, it was done on a hawkeye machine or something (it looked v impressive!) :)

yeah to be honest i think the sagging suspension bit is a load of rubbish, i think they may get it on old skylines but not on a 20k 6 year old car thats been in london most of its life! I think its just the crappy tyres that are on it, my new ones should be here in a few days- cant wait! :teeth: Ill hopefully get the print out up tonight, it was done on a hawkeye machine or something (it looked v impressive!) :)

If its stock, just measure on a flat surface from the ground to the wheel arch on both sides and then post the number up and someone else with a stock car may be able to confirm. Its not uncommon for them to leak over time or for the seals to go.