Family's with a 350z????

maxket37

I am desperate to buy a 350 but my wife and I are expecting our first baby next year. I know the 350 cannot have a child in the front but my wife will have the people carrier type car anyhow!! Just some general feedback on whether you 350 owners out there are any of you with small children and do you manage??? Is this possible???? SAY YES!!!!!!! :scare::yuck:

:welcome: Maxket

Sorry got no kids and don't intend having any either so difficult to fully advise. Boots aint that bad but it isn't massive. This isn't a bad thing though as it keeps all the day to day stuff for the people carrier and the fun stuff for the Z.

Got the Zed for myself & have a BMW 330d se 4 door for family/motorways/trips to dodgy areas or in fact anywhere where I cannot park it in a driveway or NCP proper car park.

Basically the z gets pampered & doesnt get left on the street ever unless I'm sitting right outside!! :scare:

Thanks for ya replys guys, makes deciding a little easier. Just feel a little selfish as the wife has just recently had a brand new beetle cabrio which will have to go now!!! :blush::blush:B)B)

Yeah but now she's gonna get a lovely MPV :thumbs:

P.s Also works well for dropping you and all the boys off at the pub ;)

I am desperate to buy a 350 but my wife and I are expecting our first baby next year. I know the 350 cannot have a child in the front but my wife will have the people carrier type car anyhow!! Just some general feedback on whether you 350 owners out there are any of you with small children and do you manage??? Is this possible???? SAY YES!!!!!!! :scare::yuck:

No problems here mate, 14months and 6year old :thumbs:

Depends entirely on whether the Mrs will be transporting the baby on her own when necessary and if you will go as a family is 'her' car everytime. Works for us and we had a baby 9 months ago. ( Had the Zed 2 years ). Only downside is that I have to drive the Corolla now and again - but then again it needs its nuts revved off it now and again!! Makes you appreciate the Zed even more when you do get to drive it and also keeps the Zed miles down.

You will learn it is ALL about compromise when you have the baby... but they are worth every one of them... I am typing this as I am playing peekaboo with my little angel!

Hope all goes well ( on both new baby fronts... )

Excuse me for being blunt Max, but a daft questions ot ask here. You are bound to get a "YES".

I had a Zed for a year and found that although I had other cars to use with more seats, my poor old Zed sat in the garage and never got used. I covered less than 5k miles in a year. I just couldn't justify keeping it, although I always enjoyed driving it as this was always a treat.

Depends on your personal circumstances I guess.

Good luck whatever you decide.. B)

My wife is expecting early next year and I am still planning on picking my car up in just over 3 weeks time, my wife is picking up the family car next weekend (5 door Micra). Everyone is telling me to get rid of the car (mother, friends, work colleagues etc) yet the one person not telling me that is my wife. I have worked hard (this week I will have worked about 76 hours by the time I knock off at 12.30 tomorrow morning) and she realises that I am entitled to have a little fun... that fun being the Z.

Go for it.

My wife is expecting early next year and I am still planning on picking my car up in just over 3 weeks time, my wife is picking up the family car next weekend (5 door Micra). Everyone is telling me to get rid of the car (mother, friends, work colleagues etc) yet the one person not telling me that is my wife. I have worked hard (this week I will have worked about 76 hours by the time I knock off at 12.30 tomorrow morning) and she realises that I am entitled to have a little fun... that fun being the Z.

Go for it.

must disagree, here. was in the same situation a year ago and ended up selling the Z.

when there is the 3 of you, you will soon tire of going everywhere in a Micra believe me. I agree you deserve a decent car and there are sporty ones out there with 5 seats, that you can still enjoy driving to work.

I would not get a 2+2 as you may consider it practical, but it aint the baby that takes up the room it is all the @*!# you need for them, moses basket, changing mat, pram, steriliser etc etc.

I made the mistake of going the whole hog and getting an X type estate. wish I had got something more sporty now, maybe a scooby estate (legacy or impreza), BMW 330ci etc etc, the list is endless.

she may says she wont mind you getting the Z but Im sure it will come up in arguement some time down the track. Think of the brownie points you will gain too, will be good for serveral nights out while she babysits

must disagree, here. was in the same situation a year ago and ended up selling the Z.

when there is the 3 of you, you will soon tire of going everywhere in a Micra believe me. I agree you deserve a decent car and there are sporty ones out there with 5 seats, that you can still enjoy driving to work.

I would not get a 2+2 as you may consider it practical, but it aint the baby that takes up the room it is all the @*!# you need for them, moses basket, changing mat, pram, steriliser etc etc.

I made the mistake of going the whole hog and getting an X type estate. wish I had got something more sporty now, maybe a scooby estate (legacy or impreza), BMW 330ci etc etc, the list is endless.

she may says she wont mind you getting the Z but Im sure it will come up in arguement some time down the track. Think of the brownie points you will gain too, will be good for serveral nights out while she babysits

Thanks for that and believe me when I say that trust me I have been 'advised' that I should sell the car and get this or get that and whilst you're probably correct I also know that I would resent my wife and the baby if I were forced to get rid of the car even before I had bought it. I do want kids but unfortunately 'I' hadn't planned on having them for another couple of years yet.

I also know that I have been pining for this car for the last couple of years and have worked very hard to be able to afford it, having just gotten married (7 weeks ago and already paid off) and moved house (5 weeks ago) I feel that I am allowed to have some fun things, in this instance that's my Z.

I just got rid of my sportsbike and although I am now married I am not dead. For the moment, at least, the Z stays and I have no immediate plans for it to go. Unfortunately my wife knows I have a very stubborn nature and if I am set in my ways then its difficult to change my mind.

Also I should add that the Z is purely here as a fun car, no commuting in it for me as I work in the City and travel in by train. I am used to traveling around in a small car as my wife used to have a Hyundai Getz whilst we lived abroad. Sure the Micra won't be as much fun as the Z but when I go out on my own I will be in the Z :)

Go for it.

This sounds very familiar. You are, however, in the more fortunate position where you have already bought a zed and therefore more inclined to keep it. I will be needing it mon-fri for work and maybe the odd day here and there would we have to swap cars if I need to pick the kid up from nursery. I am a school teacher so I suppose my holidays will be with kid and mpv rather than zed!!! Still, i am sure it is still worth it. Why didn't Nissan just install a device to disable passenger airbag, it's beyond me???!!!!!!

This sounds very familiar. You are, however, in the more fortunate position where you have already bought a zed and therefore more inclined to keep it. I will be needing it mon-fri for work and maybe the odd day here and there would we have to swap cars if I need to pick the kid up from nursery. I am a school teacher so I suppose my holidays will be with kid and mpv rather than zed!!! Still, i am sure it is still worth it. Why didn't Nissan just install a device to disable passenger airbag, it's beyond me???!!!!!!

I haven't taken delivery of it tho so in theory I 'could' cancel it, however I won't be.

The way I look at it is that if I am likely to be needing a car for myself at anytime then the Z will be it, if it's a family requirement then the Micra wins. Best of both worlds (as far as my jaded view can see it). One thing I have on my side is that my insurance company won't insure my wife as she hasn't been in the country long enough (happy days) so there won't be any chance of her using the car to nip down the shops. Also my parents live 30 minutes down the road so if there are any problems we can rely on them to help us out with big boot space there anyway.

Honestly mate, having talked long and hard with my wife about this (it was a discussion had both before and after we found out she was expecting), my wife really has no issues with the two of us having a car each, after all there are many families out there who can't afford to do that, we are lucky in that quite simply we can.

If you can afford to do so, get the car.

I haven't taken delivery of it tho so in theory I 'could' cancel it, however I won't be.

The way I look at it is that if I am likely to be needing a car for myself at anytime then the Z will be it, if it's a family requirement then the Micra wins. Best of both worlds (as far as my jaded view can see it). One thing I have on my side is that my insurance company won't insure my wife as she hasn't been in the country long enough (happy days) so there won't be any chance of her using the car to nip down the shops. Also my parents live 30 minutes down the road so if there are any problems we can rely on them to help us out with big boot space there anyway.

Honestly mate, having talked long and hard with my wife about this (it was a discussion had both before and after we found out she was expecting), my wife really has no issues with the two of us having a car each, after all there are many families out there who can't afford to do that, we are lucky in that quite simply we can.

If you can afford to do so, get the car.

Thanks for that mate. It is nice to see someone with the same predicament as me. I sold my cooper s a few weeks back now cause I wanted a new car and this was also decided before we knew we were expecting. We are also fortunate to be able to run 2 cars so my argument is therefore why have 2 family orientated cars when you only really need 1!!! I just am concerened that there may come a time when,perhaps in an emergency, the kid needs picking up or taking somewhere and the zed is the only car available. What happens then??!!! Order a taxi?? Am I talking myself out of this or what??!!!! :surrender::surrender:

I did have the Z for a couple of weeks after the baby was born and then it became clear it would not work.

Mundane things like picking the kid up from nursery, having had my wife drop her there would not work as the passenger airbag cant be deactivated.

pram would not fit in the boot, buggy might, but cant really put them in a buggy til 6 months old.

glad I got rid off it really, much prefer us all travelling together, not in convoy and all in safety, my Mrs has a BMW compact, which may have worked as is much better than a Micra, no disrespect intended.

just wished I had thought a bit longer over the replacement

If you're getting something to enjoy, then it's up to you. Kids will always need special care made, cars are no different.

If you're going to get a car for kids too, I'd think 4/5 doors and safety first. If you can get speed then great. The Evos / Scoobys of the world would be top of this perfromance list. Money no object, Audi RS6 Avant or V70R or something. Why would you compromise on a coupe or anything to break your back getting them in and out of the back?!

If you want a fun car, then with 2 seats like the Zed you and your partner can escape occasionally without any worries and enjoy it. Go for it! :thumbs:

I've no kids so just my opinion. Get yourself a cheap V40 T4 for the wife, then you get a bit of both for not much cash.....!! :D

Yep, it's the Volvo's again.....

No problems here mate, 14months and 6year old :thumbs:

Sounds good to me spill. Just what I am wanting to hear. On the hunt now for a gunmetal 2nd hand. Sold my car 3 weeks back and am desperate to get back on the road.......in a 350!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

To be fair though I do have 3 cars, :ninja:

but it is possible to manage with a zed and a large family car, it will be a struggle though, it will just mean swapping cars more regularly, which means more miles :teeth: and IMO when they're over twelve months a forwarding facing seat is OK in a zed as long as the seat is as far back as possible.