Pioneer F900bt

spursmaddave

I have a Pioneer F900bt which I fitted the week after I bought my Z in December, and I thought I would share what I have done with it since...

The unit is great but there is one serious flaw, it comes with out of date software and maps, which at £700 (cheaper now) I was not impressed with! The Pioneer site has some updates available for free but to get the latest (and best) update 3.0+ there is a real catch...

The 3.0 update is not available as a download, you can only get it on a set of 2 update SD cards which include the new iGo 8.3 maps and retail for £150+ that's if you can find them for sale anywhere which I couldn't!

I thought this was a real rip off as all I wanted was the update, I wasn't worried about the maps, I just wanted to update the unit as I read it made it quicker and more responsive.

I found a site http://www.avic411.com and found out what the F900bt was really capable of! All I can say is that if Pioneer employed a few guys off that site they would shift a whole lot more of their units! The site isn't easy to get the most out of though, I know i'm a computer geek but these guys are uber geeks, if you go on and post something like "how do I update my F900bt" you will get tons of abuse and flaming believe me. Anyway I searched around, PMed a few people and finally found what I was looking for, a way to update the European unit (most guys on the site are Yanks) which even included the maps so :p to Pioneer!

Its a fairly simple process and I have already talked through a couple of guys on here and a couple of guys at my work too, all with no problems at all.... but it is a risk, like any sort of hacking (iPhone Wii etc) once you start you are on your own if you stuff it up!

Anyway now I have a much faster unit, better GUI (imo) lots of goodies like cruise screen and new maps with motorway signs etc and its all great, so if anyone wants to know how its done just PM me.

Here are a couple of pics, I will take some of the actual unit in my car when I get time to show the new maps etc.

I used a Blue theme but you don't have to change the theme if you don't want to, there are also Green and Red ones if you like too.

I know the update will work with f700bt as its the same just CD instead of DVD but not sure about other models...

Original -

topmenuold.jpg

New -

blueradio2.jpg

Cruise Dial -

cruisedial2.jpg

Speed Dial -

bluespeedo4.jpg

great bit of kit, I did the update with help from Dave and its made such a difference in terms of system speed.

R

Cheers, yeah you were my first lol, and yes it makes a BIG difference and that's why Pioneer are ***** for not at least shipping it free with a £700 unit or at least making it a free download.

ok dave shall we have a go and see what we can do on the 500.

send me a pm with the details

cheers

for the F900BT, you need to be able to press the reset, eject, menu and map buttons all at the same time to initiate.

Looking at yours, I'm guessing the procedure is most likely to be different.

cheers

for the F900BT, you need to be able to press the reset, eject, menu and map buttons all at the same time to initiate.

quite possibly then, as i have no eject button

cheers

quite possibly then, as i have no eject button

I believe the update process is different for the 500, I wouldn't want to recommend something I haven't or can't try out myself, if you want a link to the map files you are more than welcome, but not too sure how you would get them on the unit, sorry

• 9 months later...

New Upate/Hack for the F900 / 700 just out :thumbs:

Even better Navigation functions B)

Original release 12/13/2010

• [*:32srii1w]Unity Mode. Go into regional settings to set if you have MSN, TMC or neither.
    [*:32srii1w]Speed signs are now selectable for euro or US.
    [*:32srii1w]Signposts are now selectable for green or blue as well as small or large. All of the above work across all screens including split nav.
    [*:32srii1w]New menu system. Menu is completely user configurable with all new images. If you want to change one item in the menu just long press one of the buttons. If you want to reconfigure the entire menu go into the settings. You can also long press the menu button on the nav screen to shortcut to the menu config.
    [*:32srii1w]Return to office. Works like return to home feature. Labeled as such but it is a quick menu shortcut to execute the first favorite in the favorites list. Checks to make sure there is a favorite and prompts you to add one if not.
    [*:32srii1w]Add favorite from history feature. Handy for when you want to add a past destination to favorites.
    [*:32srii1w]Adding a favorite now goes directly to favorite add screen after entering address rather than the plan mode screen.
    [*:32srii1w]Pioneer AV icon hide setting. Can also do a quick toggle by holding the elevation sign down. When AV icon is hidden the current street text space is expanded so it wont scroll or compress.
    [*:32srii1w]Map changer added. Does not work in an emulator but works on the unit itself. If you use your own sys.txt make sure you grab the settings for it. Setting in regional sets MapChanger icon for AUS users that use Sensis maps. Included one Navteq CA map for testing purposes (that is why the download is so large).
    [*:32srii1w]Gurjon AutoKarta, Fuel Calc and MaxSpeed added.
    [*:32srii1w]Fuel calc is region sensitive depending on regional unit setting. (Gallons/liters - Miles/Km)
    [*:32srii1w]Distance to turn meter also in the main nav screen.
    [*:32srii1w]Speedcams now have details as to what they actually are.
    [*:32srii1w]No route recalc with button in start menu with image on map screen if you want to turn off route recalculation.
    [*:32srii1w]Run applications interface to add and delete custom applications to run on the AVIC.
    [*:32srii1w]Default mute configurable with speedcams in sound options.
    [*:32srii1w]Reverse route feature (accessible via quick menu)
    [*:32srii1w]Added shortcut to set home screen to start a route home since usually the user is required to navigate out after setting it.
    [*:32srii1w]Trip computer delay start fix.

3.1 changes on 12/19/2010:

• [*:32srii1w]There was a problem with the return to office feature where it would use the last marked cursor position and not the favorite position.
    [*:32srii1w]AV icon would show in route planning mode and other places off that screen
    [*:32srii1w]Blue Signpost color change
    [*:32srii1w]Blue signpost color would not stick. Fixed.
    [*:32srii1w]Bluetooth and GPS indicator hide options and better spacing on map. Located in sings displayed on map which is now a scrollable menu.
    [*:32srii1w]mapchanger threw an error when selecting an already active map
    [*:32srii1w]map_nt folder was in the wrong place in original distro
    [*:32srii1w]Error fixed in default mute
    [*:32srii1w]Added option to have default navigation screen be a different screen when adding a route.
    [*:32srii1w]On screen trip computer would not hide when bringing up quick menu
    [*:32srii1w]Laneinfo options are now all at the bottom and are Large/Small rather than top/bottom. Default is now smaller newer style.
    [*:32srii1w]The quick menu button in the bottom left position is now not able to be changed if trafficmode setting is enabled since it would revert to the traffic mode state when on.
    [*:32srii1w]Some default button position changes.
    [*:32srii1w]Illustrated street text variable would occasionally turn off. Fixed.
    [*:32srii1w]Speedcam text is now map color sensitive so they show better.
    [*:32srii1w]Fixed speedcam coming up in screens other than the map.
    [*:32srii1w]Small speedcam font a tad bigger.
    [*:32srii1w]Added secondary turn to split nav screen
    [*:32srii1w]Split screen nav is now lane info arrow setting aware

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpgIMG_1260.JPGIMG_0347.JPGIMG_0346.JPGIMG_0341.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

• 1 year later...