gear box noise?

bodyboarder

Hi , just bought my 350z and i am well chuffed with it! The only thing i have noticed is after my long trip home ( about 100 miles sat about 80-90mph ) i got home and there was this funny noise coming from the gearbox! It stopped when i put the clutch in and was only there when the clutch was out. As you can imagine i was well annoyed. as the car was noy doing this on the test drive. So i went straight to my local nissan dealership and a chap took it out with me for a drive. He said there was nothing to worry about and explained something about an input shaft spinning when clutch was up and not going anywhere, he said when the car has done long trips and the gearbox oil is hot that you can hear it more, but on shorter journeys it wont be so noticable......... sounded right and logical , but wandered if anybody has this with there z? From a new worried z owner!

You have exactly described my situation after I bought my Zed, I got home on the drive and thought it was broken, I was not happy as I had driven 200 miles to get it home. I'm getting an indepedant engineers report done on mine as the local dealer recommended a new gearbox. Scary stuff when you consider the car is a tad over 2 years old and has 18k miles on it.

my drive train is noisy as shizl! you get used to it and learn to enjoy it. youll also be getting clutch rattle, probably a lump in the clutch when pressing down, and a definately destinct rattle when its not pressed down. youll also get a rattle when turning the engine off.

Ya that all sounds about right! I was quite happy with what the nissan mechanic said as he did explain it and it made sense. Always get a little bit like this after buying a new car, every noise and im like..... crap i bought a turd! Thanks for your knowledge , its made me feel ALOT better, cheers :thumbs:

Also a friend said you could try putting some SLICK 50 in the gear box , that might quiten it down a little..... any thoughts?

Hmmm... Lots of mixed reports about slick 50 and some of them very bad. If it was as good as they make out manufacturers would use it.

Personally I would steer clear, but I know there are a lot of very happy slick 50 customers out there...

Mine made this noise after I changed the gear box oil for about 10mins. It was fine before I dropped the oil and after the 4 mile drive home from work it was fine again....I could only put it down to there not been enough lube while the oil worked it way back it....

The oil change seems to have helped my issue with 1st & 2nd selecting. It seem to nothcy before with the old oil in but now its almost perfect everytime I change into and from first to second.

I would advise getting the oil level checked or even better changed. From what I seen one here some main dealers do it in the P3 service and some just check the levels. Not sure how old yours is or what miles it's covered but for £20 (D.I.Y) you know it been done and has the correct amount in when its done. :thumbs:

Hope this helps.

Alex

Any thought on this slick 50 stuff?

Evening mate, to be honest I've always used the manufacture spec'd oils and correct amount in all my cars and never had a problem. This doent mean the Slick 50 isnt any good, I have friends and family who use it although it's normally engine not box...

I would start buy checking the level or changing it first. :thumbs:

Some owners experience the gearbox noise after a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch upgrade.

If your clutch pedal feels reasonably light, then that means that the upgrade has been done by a previous owner.

When I had my P3 done at DMS, we decided to change the gear oil and diff oil.

I have no noise on my gearbox.

hope this helps

The car is on a 57 plate with 17k on...... i will speak to nissan again and maybe get a oil change just for the peace of mind. Whats the cost involved in getting the box and diff oil changed by nissan? It is not making the noise now as i have been only doing shorter trips in it, but the gear change from 1st to 2nd is quite notchy for the first few miles but once warmed up seems fine....... another zed trait ? edit- just been reading on the site about recalls of 07 plate cars with the slave cylinder , should mine have been done on a december 57 plate?

Hi , just bought my 350z and i am well chuffed with it! The only thing i have noticed is after my long trip home ( about 100 miles sat about 80-90mph ) i got home and there was this funny noise coming from the gearbox! It stopped when i put the clutch in and was only there when the clutch was out. As you can imagine i was well annoyed. as the car was noy doing this on the test drive. So i went straight to my local nissan dealership and a chap took it out with me for a drive. He said there was nothing to worry about and explained something about an input shaft spinning when clutch was up and not going anywhere, he said when the car has done long trips and the gearbox oil is hot that you can hear it more, but on shorter journeys it wont be so noticable......... sounded right and logical , but wandered if anybody has this with there z? From a new worried z owner!
Hi just my experience ,had noise/ rattle on tick over , went when clutch dipped ,told by dealer technician when checked normal ,I think it is likely a noisy clutch thrust release bearing .Really noticeable if you are parked next to a wall /house as in my drive where the noise is amplified .This is in the bell housing so gear box oil/ slick 50 probably make no difference .This & the poor first to second gear change when cold I believe are not uncommon .I was not very impressed also being a 296, 07 car I was concerned with poss/ oil consumption issues talked about .Car now sold , rattle never got any worse , so as others have said nothing to worry about just annoying . regards chris

Well i went to another dealership today as i wanted a 2nd opinion. This place said somthing completly different to the first one! They seem to think its the thrust bearing, also i am now getting a whine at 80-90mph from the gearbox! Its all in there hands now as they are going to nissan uk to see if its all covered by warranty, which they seemed confident that it would be.... we will see. Should be getting back to me on friday. Crap new i should have got another s2k :thumbdown: