Low idle speed

doctor austin

Wonder if anyone has had this?

Okay so got the car 3 weeks ago, 45000 miles JDM 2003 manual 6 speed.

On first day all okay but noticed idle a bit rough, then after a while it gave a engine management light whilst idling for a while. This I reset and fitted new plugs and air filter, since then have done 1000 miles with no problem BUT i try not to let the idle go below 800 - 1000 and its dead smooth, if I leave it (when hot) it'll drop to 400 and start to sound a bit rough. I have reset the throttle position etc no real change. Once off idle its real smooth and is getting 28 mpg up the A14 with 70 mph, averaging camers! I bought a EDBII reader but it wont read the JDM car and I can't randomly keep buying them hoping to find one that works. Any advice appreciated apart from get a stick to prop the throttle at 800revs!!!

idle is a bit low without the AC on. Always feels a bit rough at around 600rpm. One reason why I keep the AC on all the time at approx 720-750rpm. Tickover is smoother. You could have earthing issues. Some members find a grounding kit helps.

Thanks for the replies.. Actually it makes me feel better as I now dont feel I am the only one with a low idle (BTW it has already got an earthing kit fitted and I have reset the throttle body etc) and the car runs so smooth normally. Gues I'll keep an eye on it and try leaving on the aircon......... Thanks everone...wow This is the most helpful site/club ever, I have vintage cars and an old MG too but no one in any of those clubs are interested in being helpful.. Thank you. (spent ages looking for the tick over screw..not!)