Garaging a 350z

Wa_Wa

Hi everyone,

In about a weeks time I'm going to be picking up my new car. Unfortunately I don't live in a particularly good area and for some reason everyone stops outside my house to argue/fight. I'm a little nervous about leaving my car on the driveway in case I find it's been vandelised during the night so I'm looking to keep it in my garage.

While my garage is big enough to get the car in, I'm not sure there's enough space for me to get out of it once it's in the garage. I did some measuring up last night and I reckon I've got about 40cms (16inches in old money) of space to open the door and get out.

Does anyone have a similar situation and are able to say whether that is generally enough space to get out of the car? Or whether they have any advice on how best to garage the car? The last thing I want is for my pride and joy to be damaged by someone who doesn't have two braincells to rub together.

Many thanks

Due to how longthe door is, 40cm may be a little tight, but Im sure its possible. And as you say, you would be gutted to find it damaged one morning, so the strugle to get out may well be worth it.

As Tim says, stick some wide strips of carpet down each side of the garage (get some off cuts from a local carpet place if you dont have any of your own).

Best to put it down both sides, as that wil not only protect your drivers door side, but also the other side in case you try to get it too close to the wall on the passenger side.

If it fits, then use it - it will give you so much more piece of mind.

As has been said, old rugs fastened to the walls are a great way to save the door handle from getting scratched. I picked up some 2x4 feet rugs for 1.99 each locally. :)

I also use an old mirror positioned on the back wall, which allows me to see down the passenger side, this enables me to butt the passenger side up to the wall within 2-3 cm consistently, allowing just enough room to get out of the car...

It's a slight struggle, but you get used to it.

Top tip is to buy a few cheap mirrors and position them around the garage, giving the best views.*

I wouldn't recommend reversing in, it's asking for trouble with a Zed :scare:

I've got carpet on my walls in the garage. Works a treat.

I've also got a ball of string danggling at one end. As i drive in and nudge the ball of string with the front bumper, I know I'm about 6 inch from the wall.

My mate has a similar thing in his garage, hang a tennis ball from the roof so that it touches the windscreen or rear window (depending if you reverse in or not) so when the ball touches the car he's just about done. Helps lining up to make sure you're over to one side if you've only got 40cm.

I've got about the same and I can get in and out. The contortion is worth it knowing it's in and safe!!

Guest prescience
I've got carpet on my walls in the garage. Works a treat.

I've also got a ball of string danggling at one end. As i drive in and nudge the ball of string with the front bumper, I know I'm about 6 inch from the wall.

Something makes me wanna move that ball

Have you get a WKD side :p

Guest prescience
heard you like playing with balls dorian :p

:lol:

Good advice above about the cardboard works a treat :thumbs: if you have anything like a standard single garage, it is a bit of a squeeze but you should be able to get in and out. Watch the clearance at the rear as you drive in - the cars wider at rear :scare:

Thanks for all your advice - it is much appreciated.

I don't understand why garages are made so narrow when modern cars are so big. Perhaps there's some 1940's standard for garages that's still in use today...

Anyway, I know what I'll be doing this weekend - preparing the garage for my new toy - should be picking it up next week. Can't wait!

I am so glad that I moved into a place with a double garage :D

It was actually the main requirement for the house, without it we wouldn't have moved in.

Less than 4 weeks to go now :o

Lol, It so happens we're also moving to a place with a double garage (providing the sale etc goes thru allright etc etc :headhurt: ) ... it was also one of my main requirements (due to planned Z etc etc.) So... sounds like we're coincidentally going thru similar machinations... moving house, buying z's... (so long as my wife doesn't suddenly announce she's expecting now... :scare: )

Cheers!

I must say the doors are really annoying. They only open in 3 'stages' or so. The first position of the door doesn't leave enough space to get out, the second does but is already really wide. Third is fully open.

Anywhere in between, it falls back.

So covering the walls is definitely not a bad idea.

Maybe buy a Z roadster, just jump in and out :p

I don't understand why garages are made so narrow/quote]

For the same reason car parking spaces are so small. Developers and Main Contractors cram as much as they can into the smallest space possible. Land is money. Annoying, but true.

Extending a standard garage width by 500mm sounds like nothing, but over a development of 50 houses, the extra foundation, bricks and labour means these tight fisted mo-fo's will not do it. Realisticly though, the extra cost is jack sh1t, relatively speaking. Put a couple of hundred quid on the cost of the house and give people what they want (i.e. a garage they can use).

You may have gathered by now this is pet hate of mine :rant:

I park over two spaces in super-markets/shopping-centres and make no excuses for it. Want to moan at me about it? Talk to the land owners and ask why parking spaces are rediculously small and achieve nothing but dented doors and annoyed customers.

I am waiting for my new house to be build complete (should be October). For the first time in my 28 years I will have a garage. Chances are, it will become a storage area for sh1t I don't need as the likelyhood is my car is too big to fit in. Which effects my insurance. Which makes me angry.

Rant mode off :teeth:

Wes,

I can see where you're coming from with regard to cramming as many houses in as possible - greedy property developers - but surely the house at the end of the road didn't need an extra 15 foot of garden?! I'll blame them for the fact my garage is too narrow and the difficulty I'll have getting in and out of my car.

I quite like some of the parking solutions used in London - a lift which takes your car into an underground parking space - park up, get out of the car, and watch it disappear into the ground. Don't have to worry about not having a wide enough garage - nor the vandals who take out their jealousy on your car. Shame I've just had the driveway relaid...

Just an interesting piece of information...... The difference in cost between my car being "garaged" and on "the driveway" from an insurance point of view was a massive £15.00 per year!

Wow, whats the point? :dry:

I mean (and I clarified this with them), if I put it down as garaged and left it on the drive one night and it got nicked, then I wasn't covered! :scare:

For me, the hassle of putting the car in the garage everynight (especially when its dark & peeing it down) for £15 a year, was just not worth it.

That said, if I could easily every night, then I would. But my garage has become a storage area for everything else and all my cleaning products!

But what I'm saying, is don't assume it is going to make a big difference to your policy. I'd be tempted to ring them up and ask them to tell you the difference exactly, and the restrictions if one night you leave out etc.

May be surprising.....

(btw this was with Privilege, so not exactly a mickey mouse provider)

thing is with a garage though is that it keeps it hidden from oppotunists who see the car. Break the door down and steel the keys.

Yes it would be nice to save more than £15 a year which is very poor but at least their is piece of mind.

As for the argument about where was the car at night, whenever you visit someone and park it up it's not in a garage so I think they'd have a very hard time not paying up if it was on the drive the odd few nights.

Just like the 'how many miles do you think you'll do' question. Who flaming knows to the nearest 1,000 miles?!

As for the argument about where was the car at night, whenever you visit someone and park it up it's not in a garage so I think they'd have a very hard time not paying up if it was on the drive the odd few nights.

Just like the 'how many miles do you think you'll do' question. Who flaming knows to the nearest 1,000 miles?!

True, but the way that word it is that its garaged "when at your home address". You would find that this will be between certain hours etc.....

its exactly the same with bike insurance :thumbdown: