paint guard... diy or pay someone ?

cerealuk

just had a quote of £170 for a full valet + external clean/polish with paint guard (apparently guaranteed for 3 years)..

Just wondered if any of you have experience with doing the paint guard yourself? is it worth it? and what kind of money does the kit needed to do it cost? Most importantly how long did it take you ?

cheers

Not done it myself but it's about £25 for a bottle and the rest is elbow grease although £170 for all of that seems quite good? It's bascially a resin that bonds to the paint an you apply it like a wax sort of thing just make sure the paintworknia prepped correctly

Depends what they are using as a 'Paint Guard'.

Permagard is a pro job,they use it on planes to save fuel.(got a mate who flys round Europe doing it)

http://www.permagard-products.com/

Diamond Bright Ultra stuff (two part process) you can do yourself but will only realy last a year and you are advised to use a speacial shampoo.The shampoo is just one that does not 'Strip' wax.

As for the others I don't know.

If its anything like Supagaurd then dont bother,ive got loads of bags of polish & interior spray from when i used to valet.I used to love being in the showroom listenin to them talkin absolute shite to get people to pay upto £300 for the stuff :lol:

If im being honest then as far as the exterior goes do it yourself with products recommended by people on here,things like Dodo Juice,meguiars,AutoGlym etc etc :thumbs:

If its anything like Supagaurd then dont bother,ive got loads of bags of polish & interior spray from when i used to valet.I used to love being in the showroom listenin to them talkin absolute shite to get people to pay upto £300 for the stuff :lol:

If im being honest then as far as the exterior goes do it yourself with products recommended by people on here,things like Dodo Juice,meguiars,AutoGlym etc etc :thumbs:

Yup is supaguard but with haggling it will be about £150 for the while exterior and interior valet, polish, clean...

That said if its possible to achieve the same results in a day doing it myself then might be a better option :)

Yup is supaguard but with haggling it will be about £150 for the while exterior and interior valet, polish, clean...

That said if its possible to achieve the same results in a day doing it myself then might be a better option :)

Highly dependant on who is doing the polishing for you. The Zed has very soft and paint so I wouldnt want anyone other than a trusted pro detailer to go anywhere near it.

I've never bought into this supaguard stuff, if it was that good, pro detailers would rave about it. Much better off giving the car a bit more TLC and cleaning/waxing it yourself and maybe get a pro detailer to give it the once over now and again.

Thats what i meant chris :blush:

I was agreeing with you :thumbs: But got £150, depending who was doing it, it might be worth doing as its good value just to get a detail. I doubt it will be a full detail for that price though

My (non professional) view on this stuff is that it's no better than anything else on the market.

You can buy a handful of products and get a nice looking well cared for car for less money. You have to do it yourself though!

It depends if you are lazy or like cleaning the car. :lol:

Thats what i meant chris :blush:

I was agreeing with you :thumbs: But got £150, depending who was doing it, it might be worth doing as its good value just to get a detail. I doubt it will be a full detail for that price though

Yeah i agree dude. Unless things have changed since i used to do it all theyl do is valet it as usual but use the supagard polish & the spray for the carpets & seats.Thats what we did anyway,engine bay,door shuts,exterior,hoover & clean seats,floors etc if needed,in & out windows then whack the supagard on while spraying the 'protector' in the interior :lol:

Basically the customer paid extra for some spray,a bit of different polish & an aftercare pack containing a little bottle of 'special' shampoo,2 crappy mutton clothes & something else.My mate was given it free on his 59plate lancer sportback & i was suprised to see you get less than when i valeted :thumbdown: