Ebay drives me insane !!!!

Zedrush

I dont get it, I post my canon camera on ebay, buy it now price 2200 and starting price at 1600. Within a day I have 27 watching it and 4 bids pushing it to 1750 on a 10 day auction length. I get a message that someone is desperate to buy it now for the 2200 price I want for it but the buy it now price has gone, no longer there, so I call up ebay and they say because there has been four bids they take away the buy it now price as it shows people are willing to bid on it :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: whats the point in having a buy it now price if they are going to omit it when people bid on it :headhurt::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt: I dont get it :wacko: anyone else can explain this to me? :blush:

I've had this a happen on eBay a few times.

Did you have a Reserve price on the camera?

I think it works like this:

If you have a reserve price set for the item, then the Buy It Now will remain until the bids exceed the reserve ... after that it will not show.

If however you have no reserve price set for the item, then the Buy It Now will disappear as soon as the first bid is placed.

It's definitely stupid logic on their part ... and they should atleast warn you of this before you list your item.

If you have a reserve price set for the item, then the Buy It Now will remain until the bids exceed the reserve ... after that it will not show.

If however you have no reserve price set for the item, then the Buy It Now will disappear as soon as the first bid is placed.

It's definitely stupid logic on their part ... and they should atleast warn you of this before you list your item.

:bang: eBay and it's crazy final fees has put me off selling anything on there anymore, now it appears they're making up rules as they go along to pi$$ people off even more..... :dry:

I've had this a happen on eBay a few times.

Did you have a Reserve price on the camera?

I didnt have a reserve price, what a stupid thing to do makes no sense. I was charged only 5.50 to list item and the item its for collection only so hopefully they wont pay by paypal whih will incur more costs.

Been surprised by this too - albeit on a much lower priced item. It's basically ebay's policy to make sure you put in an as high initial value to your item as you can, so that they can collect the higher fee.

But Zedrush, don't despair, you are way too early in your auction:

- first, never respond to "can I buy it now" requests if an auction is ongoing - more often than not it's someone trying to avoid competition and you'll end up losing money. Nobody is really desperate to buy on ebay, there's always something else on sale

- secondly for sure that the highest bid will go up significantly in the last 5 minutes of the auction, as 95% of ebay buyers put sniping bids only these days.

- you already have a bid for 1.7k which means you'll get at least that much

- ebay is still the best place to sell second hand cameras and get your money's worth

I have three shops, one that sells cycling jerseys, a retro sweet shop and one that sells used vibrators :thumbs:

I'm very much interested in the latter ;)

The main problem with eBay is none paying buyers imo. Propabbly 1 in 10 items i've sold has resulted in nill response from the winner and no payment..... timewasters :angry: I'm sure there's probably a system in place to prevent this but i'm an eBay n00b :dry:

eBay rocks, I sell over 1000 items a month on eBay :teeth:

:scare: What kind of stuff........? :dry:

Linky to shop(s)......... :thumbs:

I have three shops, one that sells cycling jerseys, a retro sweet shop and one that sells used vibrators :thumbs:

Mens or womens...? Erm, cycling jerseys... :lol:

eBay rocks, I sell over 1000 items a month on eBay :teeth:

:scare: What kind of stuff........? :dry:

Linky to shop(s)......... :thumbs:

Mens or womens...? Erm, cycling jerseys... :lol:

Mens mainly...........erm cycling jerseys :lol:

Been surprised by this too - albeit on a much lower priced item. It's basically ebay's policy to make sure you put in an as high initial value to your item as you can, so that they can collect the higher fee.

- first, never respond to "can I buy it now" requests if an auction is ongoing - more often than not it's someone trying to avoid competition and you'll end up losing money. Nobody is really desperate to buy on ebay, there's always something else on sale

- secondly for sure that the highest bid will go up significantly in the last 5 minutes of the auction, as 95% of ebay buyers put sniping bids only these days.

- ebay is still the best place to sell second hand cameras and get your money's worth

Having just sold 5 items on ebay heres my response:

I had a buy it now offer provided to me but let the offer run the auction... it ended up being £100 less, it also only went up £1 on a £350 item in the last 5 minutes. Another item was bidded on for the starting price which is all i wanted, a day before the auction ended the bid was re tracted?? so its not a case of someone has bid 1.7k thats what you will get. There are also a lot of scammers on ebay as another item was won by someone who then messaged me saying he wouldnt have the cash for 2 months??

Having also said that "nobody is desperate to buy on ebay, theres always something else on sale" means its very saturated with second hand goods which means no your not going to achieve a good price even on second hand cameras.

Ebay has gone down hill rapidly. :thumbdown:

cheers mate just annoying that i could have sold it now rather than wait 9 more days and have to put up with idiotic questions from people who have no interest in buying it just want advice on best setup for their own stuff. Ive had about 30 messages this morning on people saying check out my vid i did on that cam or what do you think of this :wacko: dont mind on a forum but dont do it on ebay :wacko: