Z Taupo Track Day - Sunday 21 Feb 2010 - pic heavy

bronzee

Once a year we pay our annual pilgrimage to the Taupo Race Track. It's about half way down the North Island of NZ (for those of you that have been to NZ). It's a party/holiday resort town, so makes for a very social weekend, apart from the good stuff zipping around the track. The Taupo track hosts the A1, so it is an international track. Pretty cool, and quite technical depending on what part of the track you have, or if the whole track, becomes reasonably high speed. 200-250kms for the very fast cars with massive ceramic brakes. The fastest track in NZ is actually in my home town and that can be about 300kms down the back straight of the mega beasts and the OSCA's.

Always plenty of full blown race cars, as our club has a very strong racing history going back 30 years. The most powerful one racing this time was a fully blown, caged, very powerful beastly 300zx TT. Running about 700hp at the shoes, de-tuned, Hollinger box. Very fast and sounds an absolute dream as he's working it through the gears. Was clocking the circuit in 42 sec bracket odd seconds. The next nearest, was another fully blown race car 260z - was doing slightly higher 42 secs (even thought his 260z is pushing half the power). He drives very well.

A few stop gap pics (until the others with good cameras post - will flick up a link then), only stationary ones as I was very busy doing timing during the day. No, no racing for me this time, had a few other things wanted done to the car before tracking. Didn't quite come to fruition.

At the track after a day of racing. A few cars loaded up ready to go home.

ZTaupo21Feb2010No2.jpg

ZTaupo21Feb2010No3.jpg

ZTaupo21Feb2010No5.jpg

Nice bit of road that we'd just come along on the way home.

ZTaupo21Feb2010No14Lake.jpg

Eyesor, Zilver & the bronzed one at a dam on the way home from Taupo.

ZTaupo21Feb2010No12Lake-1.jpg

And because this is a 350 forum the ubiquitous 350z pose.

ZTaupo21Feb2010No6Lake.jpg

ZTaupo21Feb2010No9Lake.jpg

The old and the newer. How often do you get two orange Zeds together from 3-4 decades apart.

ZTaupo21Feb2010No7Lake.jpg

Thanks guys and girl. :yahoo:

Was a baking hot weekend. Far too hot to be in race gear and race booties in that heat. :sweat::sun: The roads we'd just been along before we got to the dam, were awesome!!!! Narrow, windy, and very little traffic, apart from the odd large truck on our side of the road. :scare:

Mart you and Liz will have to come over in the Summer, Feb is usually good, as we have heaps of events, lots of opportunity for she with the camera skills. ;)

Thanks Captain. That's much better. :thumbs::D Having a few issues with the camera. :lol:

Great pics Immy. They appear to be slighly over exposed, I guess thats the problem with so much sun :sun:

Your camera is fine. The histogram showed that you had even balance across light and dark. Maybe slightly underexposed.

Your screen needs calibrating if yours look ok on it and mine look too dark. :thumbs:

Its because its so bright (mainly the sky), the camera is blowing the highlights trying to get an average exposure, losing the detail in the shadows as it does so, so the histogram wont show the problem. What Immy needs to do is under expose the photo on purpose to stop it being so bright, but depending on what camera she has that may or may not be possible. I noticed this in the last lot of pics too, and it can be quite hard to avoid on a point and shoot camera if there is no manual override. Let us know your camera Immy and I'll see what options it has :thumbs:

Your camera is fine. The histogram showed that you had even balance across light and dark. Maybe slightly underexposed.

Your screen needs calibrating if yours look ok on it and mine look too dark. :thumbs:

Yes very over-exposed. Must have a play with the camera. Lol, mind I could do with a new one.

Its because its so bright (mainly the sky), the camera is blowing the highlights trying to get an average exposure, losing the detail in the shadows as it does so, so the histogram wont show the problem. What Immy needs to do is under expose the photo on purpose to stop it being so bright, but depending on what camera she has that may or may not be possible. I noticed this in the last lot of pics too, and it can be quite hard to avoid on a point and shoot camera if there is no manual override. Let us know your camera Immy and I'll see what options it has :thumbs:

It's only a little Panasonic Lumix. So nothing flash. I've actually been looking at new ones, so not to worry.

The glare here even for the guys with very flash cameras takes a bit of mucking with. Think of the brightest day in the UK, and it will still be 5 times higher here. Massive hole in the Ozone, and almost no smog (especially in Summer) and none in outlying areas.

One of my mates is going to have a look at the camera, but I keep forgetting to ask when I see him. :bangin::lol:

Anyway, so when are you all going to come over here for a visit to my beautiful country & join us for an event or track day?? :D:sun::sweat::cloud9: Just bring lots of sun tan lotion. ;)

Would love to. Do they do 350z/370z hire cars over there? :teeth:

Lumix are a very good camera, but as you say its very bright out where you are. If you look to get a new camera, try to get one that you can fit filters to and get a UV filter or polarising filter, should help cut a lot of it out :)

Lumix are a very good camera, but as you say its very bright out where you are. If you look to get a new camera, try to get one that you can fit filters to and get a UV filter or polarising filter, should help cut a lot of it out :)

I think one of the rental/lease companies does. :drive1 I'm sure I've seen pre-loved 350's in their listings occasionally. 370z might be a tad new yet. I'm sure between all the cars we could arrange a co-pilot ride. Maybe a ride in one of the ballistic old school Z racecars? ;) You'd certainly get a feel for noise, you hear every mechanic part moving in the old school ones. You'd love it. :teeth:

I think one of the rental/lease companies does. :drive1 I'm sure I've seen pre-loved 350's in their listings occasionally. 370z might be a tad new yet. I'm sure between all the cars we could arrange a co-pilot ride. Maybe a ride in one of the ballistic old school Z racecars? ;) You'd certainly get a feel for noise, you hear every mechanic part moving in the old school ones. You'd love it. :teeth:

Dont tempt me, I'd end up not coming back! Off to check Jobserve/LinkedIn for jobs in NZ B):teeth:

Don't tempt me, I'd end up not coming back! Off to check Jobserve/LinkedIn for jobs in NZ B):teeth:

Oh and we need IT types down here. Still plenty of work, not that you'd want to look at the thinky or you might find a job you like. :lol::Dhttp://www.seek.co.nz. Your lil' lady would love NZ.

I'm sure she would, so would I :sun: The problem with my job is its working with a very niche software which is very expensive to buy, so pretty much the only people that use it is big mobile telecoms companies, banks and credit card firms. No real demand for it outside of the UK and US, but it is moving around the world, even in the UK the only jobs for it are in London except for major telecoms companies outside of London (O2, Voda, Orange). There were some jobs in Oz not long back but the day rate isnt anything near what I get here :thumbdown:

I'm sure she would, so would I :sun: The problem with my job is its working with a very niche software which is very expensive to buy, so pretty much the only people that use it is big mobile telecoms companies, banks and credit card firms. No real demand for it outside of the UK and US, but it is moving around the world, even in the UK the only jobs for it are in London except for major telecoms companies outside of London (O2, Voda, Orange). There were some jobs in Oz not long back but the day rate isnt anything near what I get here :thumbdown:

It's all relative, cost of living is lower here too, as are a lot of other things, relaxed lifestyle. Plenty of work going on in ICT here;) Anyway, Taupo. :lol:

Few Oil and Gas jobs for me. I also heard lots of licenses are being granted..... ;)

That 240 looks brilliant Immy!

New government, well been in for 1.5 years, making lots of changes, so that'll be why. ;)

That 240 is lovely, very tidy for a caged car too. Mind, most of the caged cars as nearly as good as the road cars. :)