Clutch & Fly nightmare... a long read......

N!ck-z

Gaz,

I will summarise my post wrt Envy for you as you seem to have skipped a few of the points, again sticking to facts rather than opinion.

1. You did not call me at all. Not just "one day". I can not recall correctly if you called me to tell me about the defective fly or I phoned you, but I gave you the bennefit of the doubt in my original post.

2. I had to repeatedly chase you up with phonecalls over the weeks this was going on. Everytime you said you would phone me back, you simply failed to.

3. The reduced cost was not only beneficial to me. As you told me prior to the work, you were looking to supply and fit these Flys and it would be beneficial to you if you could tell prospective customers you had experience fitting them and as such you were using my car as a test car.

4. Which explains why you failed to tell me the original Fly was in perfect condition, instead choosing to fit my dualmass fly to gain the experience.

5. The "hugely reduced" labour costs were infact only £30 less than a garage that had been reccomended to me in middlesbrough, who also had experience with performance/modified cars. I will refrain from naming them as I do not believe they would want there name dragged up in this thread.

5. When found defective, again you failed to tell me the original was fine, but handily you could do me a deal on one you had in stock. You only confirmed the original was fine after numerous phone calls.

6. You lied to the courier about having no Flywheel for collection. You were in, and the Flywheel was there. You were just on your way out and as you said on the phone a few days later when (once again) I phoned you, it was "too much hassle to go back and unlock the door".

7. The cost of the courier was met by A to Z autoparts, both times, not you.

All of my posts have been nothing but fact, I have not resorted to opinion as I wanted other members to gain from my experience rather than it turn into a moan or a bitching session.

I will offer this opinion however: If I was a prospective customer I would be concerned that you do not see the customer service I received was anything less than appalling.

1. You did not call me at all. Not just "one day". I can not recall correctly if you called me to tell me about the defective fly or I phoned you, but I gave you the bennefit of the doubt in my original post.

2. I had to repeatedly chase you up with phonecalls over the weeks this was going on. Everytime you said you would phone me back, you simply failed to.

I called you on more than on occasion. There simple was no need to call you at other times as you were on the phone frequently when there was no news to tell you.

3. The reduced cost was not only beneficial to me. As you told me prior to the work, you were looking to supply and fit these Flys and it would be beneficial to you if you could tell prospective customers you had experience fitting them and as such you were using my car as a test car.

I can't disagree with that.

4. Which explains why you failed to tell me the original Fly was in perfect condition, instead choosing to fit my dualmass fly to gain the experience.

I don't see the relevance. You supplied a clutch and flywheel to be fitted, and asked for them both to be replaced. We wouldn't stop fitting items because they stock ones look ok, after all its a labour intensive job.

5. The "hugely reduced" labour costs were infact only £30 less than a garage that had been reccomended to me in middlesbrough, who also had experience with performance/modified cars. I will refrain from naming them as I do not believe they would want there name dragged up in this thread.

Yes, we charged £30 less than it would have cost them to do the job once. We did it twice, because the flywheel you supplied was defective. Quite a saving I think.

5. When found defective, again you failed to tell me the original was fine, but handily you could do me a deal on one you had in stock. You only confirmed the original was fine after numerous phone calls.

I can't disagree, I did want to supply you a new unit.

6. You lied to the courier about having no Flywheel for collection. You were in, and the Flywheel was there. You were just on your way out and as you said on the phone a few days later when (once again) I phoned you, it was "too much hassle to go back and unlock the door".

Sorry Nick, I never said to the courier at any point I didn't have a flywheel. After failing to collect for the 3rd or 4th time (getting messed around by A to Z, you kept giving me dates and times that they were going to show up and didn't - of course you were on the phone throughout this period as you wanted your refund). Of course the time they did show up I had locked up not only our offices, but the whole site, put the alarms on, closed gates and was half way down the road to drop a customer off. The Parcelforce guy knows me so flagged me down on the exit rd to the industrial estate and asked me about it. I said for him to pop by tomorrow and get instead which he said was no problem.

7. The cost of the courier was met by A to Z autoparts, both times, not you.

I never said otherwise, all I said was the collection was from ourselves, as well as 2 deliveries from 2 different suppliers for parts that we sold.

So no, not all of your points have been fact.

As I said before, I do sincerely apologise that I may have forgotten to call you on a specific occasion, or that I missed a delivery, but the other issues raised are incorrect or irrelevant.

Best Regards,

Gaz

just to prod a point in here, nothing against anyone here and i mean no disrespect. But wouldn't a company in this situation be best to take the hit no matter right or wrong and keep the customer satisfaction high. Especially with a customer from a large forum. :shrug:

just to prod a point in here, nothing against anyone here and i mean no disrespect. But wouldn't a company in this situation be best to take the hit no matter right or wrong and keep the customer satisfaction high. Especially with a customer from a large forum. :shrug:

I think so Husky, but everyone to their own...

Hi Husky,

Feel free :)

Nick obviously wanted to air his concerns, which he has done. I've simply put my side across as well.

What hit are you suggesting we take?

Best Regards,

Gaz

I disagree. It's always good to hear both sides of the story, and in this case not only has Gaz argued his case but (more importantly) he has apologised for the mistakes made. I'd rather hear an honest answer like that than the complete denials we had from Rik recently.

I disagree. It's always good to hear both sides of the story, and in this case not only has Gaz argued his case but (more importantly) he has apologised for the mistakes made. I'd rather hear an honest answer like that than the complete denials we had from Rik recently.

think husky meant that it shouldn't have got to the forum in the 1st place but been handled 'better' so the customer felt he got a very good service and instead posted a good pr post instead of this bad one.... btw, what happened with that other one?

Right, gotcha. I still disagree though even if that's the case: Sometimes things go wrong in business and it's not always the fault of the company, and whilst it's always important to maintain customer relations it's not worth doing it all the time when it's not your fault, as you'd soon not have a business to run with all the excess costs!

Had the flywheel supplied by the OP been fine then there would've been no issues here, but from that one thing it's all spiralled out of control and gotten steadily worse. No one has come out of this with no blame, but it's important for all parties to move on and learn their lessons.

Agree with the name and shaming of the company who sold a defective flywheel and take 5 months to organise a returns procedure, however I don't agree with the naming and shaming of Envy.

How many garages do you know would offer a discount because they have never fitted a part before? I don't know many to be honest, none near me would, they would quite happily attempt it, claiming to know everything there is about your car and spout rubbish to you in the hope to fob you off and then charge you full price claiming to have done a job they knew full well how to do all along. I think the discount price offered was honest and respectable.

As for the delay of getting the car done/checked, and the missing of phone calls and courier services, I think these are the expected rigmarole with car repairs these days and i think of all the 20 times I've had my car into a tuner to be upgraded/fixed there has always been mishaps and delays. The worst ones actually tended to be at Audi and BMW dealerships were I was paying a premium for their service.

I've had much worse time in the past with a tuner for the same type of problem that seen my car off road for a year, but ultimately it was the part manufacturers fault and I accepted that although the correspondences from the tuner could have been better, ultimately I was not the only car in that garage and these type of mishaps are to be expected.

Just my two pence!

Hi Husky,

Feel free :)

Nick obviously wanted to air his concerns, which he has done. I've simply put my side across as well.

What hit are you suggesting we take?

Best Regards,

Gaz

I think not charging labour costs twice would class as taking a hit - a lot of garages would have charged for the extra labour since the garage (Envy) didn't supply the faulty flywheel. Just sayin.

Gaz,

I think we will agree to disagree about the phone calls. You did not contact me at all. You say you did. Lets leave that.

I don't see the relevance. You supplied a clutch and flywheel to be fitted, and asked for them both to be replaced. We wouldn't stop fitting items because they stock ones look ok, after all its a labour intensive job.

Gaz, has the phone call prior to the work slipped your mind? Why on earth would we have a conversation about how to recognise if the original fly was defective and needed replacing? You told me you would not know until the engineer told you, the next time the condition of the fly was mentioned was after 2 or 3 phone calls before you admitted it was in perfect working order.

Yes, we charged £30 less than it would have cost them to do the job once. We did it twice, because the flywheel you supplied was defective. Quite a saving I think.

You would only of had to do the job once had you told me the original fly was fine and not instead decided to use my car as a test at my expense. To top it off i was charged for this second job on top of the original cost although at a fraction of the full price (somewhere in the region of £50 if I remember correctly).

Sorry Nick, I never said to the courier at any point I didn't have a flywheel.

??? you actually admited this on the phone Gaz! Also A to Z autoparts gave me the tracking number to show me delivery had been refused and the reason given was the item was not at the address given.

After failing to collect for the 3rd or 4th time

In all honesty I forgot they did that, but it was once, not 3 or 4 times.

I said for him to pop by tomorrow and get instead which he said was no problem.

If this was the case why did this not happen? It was nearly a week before I even found out that the collection hadnt taken place, and that was because I phoned A to Z to check progress, then phoned you for an explanation.

Just a few points;

Of the 4 garages I phoned 3 of them said they had no experience, the one that did have experience was a Nissan main dealer.

As for "naming and shaming" I have done nothing but state what happened, it is up to the reader of my post to determin their own opinion. That would mean that if the reader believes there was poor customer service then the reader will aggree it was worthwhile posting. If the reader does not believe there was poor customer service then the reader would believe that in their opinion there has been no harm done to Envy's reputation, and as such there would be no shaming.

I think this kind of post should be thrashed out by the 2 people concerned before being posted on here myself.

My clutch went at 69,000 which i believe 65-70k is the norm

I sourced my paddle clutch and fidenza flywheel from the states at a cost of £600

Was fitted last May, covered about 4000 miles since and no issues, but boy does it bite!

I think going backwards and forwards like this isn't helping anyone really.

When you source parts from one place and get somewhere else to fit it, you take on a certain amount of responsibility yourself, and issues like you mention are not uncommon. I'm not saying that you don't have cause to feel wronged, but looking at it from an outside view it would appear that your anger should lie more with A To Z and LUK than with Envy IMHO. Couriers are a PITA at the best of times, and it's not always as cut and dried with their collection/delivery times as we would like.