Cannot open drivers door - chaos

stuRS

I'm having a nightmare at the moment - the drivers door won't open from the outside or inside. I'm having to climb over to get into the drivers seat and I'm low on petrol, I'm not doing it at the BP garage!

I've done a lot of forum/google searching and everything points towards a frozen mechanism, or at least the cold weather seizing the lock.

I can move the key in the lock as normal, I can hear the actuators doing their thing - it's just not physically unlocking.

This evening I have tried all suggestions I could find including hot water, hair driers, coat hangers - everything.

I'm hoping it will magically spring into life when the weather warms up, and it's simply a case of lubing the lock mech.

Can anyone think of a clever way of heating the door up safely for a few hours? If not I'll just have to wait for the sun to come out.

The outside door handle moves as it should, but there isn't the resistance you feel normally (and indeed as the passanger handle feels).

I'm guessing the grease in the cable sleaves is just too cold for it to free up.

Suggestions? Pitty? Anything would be good!

Stu

either that they are to cold or they have come become detached or broken, id say the best idea would be to take the door card off, im not sure how though as i cant imagine it would be an easy job whilst the door is closed, might be worth a trip to a garage, just to see if they could open it

Dosnt seem cold enough for this to be happening. Am thinking that one of the 2 cables may have come detached in the handel mech...

Just thinking how your gonna be able to get in to behind the door card when its closed.... :wacko: Just a thought but have you tried winding the window all the way down and trying to open the door?

To warm it up a fan heater infront of it for an hour may help.

Is it garaged?

Cheers guys,

My logic was that had it got stuck between full open/full closed there would be slack in the cable, which would explain the handle being so free-moving.

It may well be the cables disconnected from the mech, but as you say, total nightmare dismantling the door when it can't be opened. I think I would have to write my door card off.

I don't really see the point in taking it to a garage as I'm fairly competent with mechanics.

Had the window down and tried jimming the lock but it's no use. It's parked outside and I can't fit it in the garage at the moment to try and thor it out.

Good call on the heater, will see what I can do. I'm meant to be driving 190 miles tomorrow for a weekend away with mrs StuRS, but it looks like i'll be taking her mini instead, grr.

Just about to go out for a 30 mile drive, I'll crank the heater and aim for potholes.

Cheers guys,

My logic was that had it got stuck between full open/full closed there would be slack in the cable, which would explain the handle being so free-moving.

It may well be the cables disconnected from the mech, but as you say, total nightmare dismantling the door when it can't be opened. I think I would have to write my door card off.

I don't really see the point in taking it to a garage as I'm fairly competent with mechanics.

Had the window down and tried jimming the lock but it's no use. It's parked outside and I can't fit it in the garage at the moment to try and thor it out.

Good call on the heater, will see what I can do. I'm meant to be driving 190 miles tomorrow for a weekend away with mrs StuRS, but it looks like i'll be taking her mini instead, grr.

Just about to go out for a 30 mile drive, I'll crank the heater and aim for potholes.

good luck :thumbs: