Helping with a mazda mx5 mk1

Husky

mate just bought a cheap run around in between cars as he sold his focus rs. bought a mazda mx5 mk1 import for £1500. funny little

creature but seemed fun enough :) annnyway, he asked if i could help sort his ICE wiring as within 20mins of ownership it had shorted half the car out :lol: so we got the right ISO connector ready for a new stereo and i set to work repairing the dogs dinner the last owner had left. only one speaker wired in, chocolate blocks to connect wires, power from a random cable from who knows where, no auto arial, etc etc. so stripped it down and soldered new everything in. he now has a nice shiney iso plug ready for his head unit :) this is him pretending he was doing the work :lol: (clueless)

100112_194122.jpg

oh, it was snowing while we were working on it :lol:

BUT oh dear, what a sorry state the paint is in, i have NEVER seen anything look so bad, seriously. dont believe me? look at this :scare:

his rear quarter, a fine example of the rest of the car. sandpaper???

100112_194537.jpg

I've become quite an MX5 fan in the last 12 months. Love the old Mk1s but tinworm can be a problem. Any rust on this one?

well he has a bag of cat litter in his boot. "odd" i said, "i didnt realise you'd got a cat?" nope it was to soak up the water :lol: theres a bit of damage on the passenger wing which will need respray but other than that it just needs elbow grease like biscuit says :) he said he will get a rotary to do it as its so bad. ive never seen the colour on an mx5 before, you can see it has massive potential to look stunning B)

I've become quite an MX5 fan in the last 12 months. Love the old Mk1s but tinworm can be a problem. Any rust on this one?

well he has a bag of cat litter in his boot. "odd" i said, "i didnt realise you'd got a cat?" nope it was to soak up the water :lol: theres a bit of damage on the passenger wing which will need respray but other than that it just needs elbow grease like biscuit says :) he said he will get a rotary to do it as its so bad. ive never seen the colour on an mx5 before, you can see it has massive potential to look stunning B)

Get him to sign up on mx5nutz if he hasn't already. Plenty of friendly advice on there and less stuffy than the OC. :thumbs:

Get him to sign up on mx5nutz if he hasn't already. Plenty of friendly advice on there and less stuffy than the OC. :thumbs:

excellent! will do :thumbs:

What colour is that Husky ? Is it a midnight blue type or black? It could be a rare one they releasedb

before the end of the mk1 production think it was something to do with the Dakar rally? Mate at work had one B)

think it could have been washed with a Brillo pad in the past :surrender:

What colour is that Husky ? Is it a midnight blue type or black? It could be a rare one they releasedb

before the end of the mk1 production think it was something to do with the Dakar rally? Mate at work had one B)

brillo pad its actually very accurate :thumbs: (is it wrong i want to buy it off him to work on, so much potential) :lol:

its a midnight blue, you can see it must be a very beautiful colour cleaned up. its an import :shrug: does that help, would be interesting if it is rare, may buy it without telling him that and sell on :evil::evil: haha

brillo pad its actually very accurate :thumbs: (is it wrong i want to buy it off him to work on, so much potential) :lol:

its a midnight blue, you can see it must be a very beautiful colour cleaned up. its an import :shrug: does that help, would be interesting if it is rare, may buy it without telling him that and sell on :evil::evil: haha

Here you go mate :thumbs:

http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/dakar.htm

I am sure if you cross check the serial numbers specs etc you will know for sure?

Here you go mate :thumbs:

http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/dakar.htm

I am sure if you cross check the serial numbers specs etc you will know for sure?

The Dakar was a UK special - his is an import. ;)

Could be a G-Limited but I'll let you have a scan through this as the JDM special editions go on and on and on and on....

http://ox.mx5oc.co.uk/guide_eunos.htm

i had a look, think its this one guys, not so rare.

G-Limited

1/1500 Satellite Blue Mica

Dark blue hood

Low back bucket seats with separate headrests

new momo steering wheel

7 spoke alloys.

1500 is pretty exclusive in MX5 terms. :thumbs:

Not worth anything though... :p

i had a look, think its this one guys, not so rare.

G-Limited

1/1500 Satellite Blue Mica

Dark blue hood

Low back bucket seats with separate headrests

new momo steering wheel

7 spoke alloys.

1500 is pretty exclusive in MX5 terms. :thumbs:

Not worth anything though... :p

:lol: he bought it for £1500 i didnt ask how many miles, i wonder if he got robbed :lol:

i used to have a mk 1 mx-5 and loved it. mine was a v-spec import in black. it had the mustard interior but although it doesn't sound good it really grew on you. it had leather and a wooden steering wheel and gearknob etc and the best bit was the speakers in the seat headrests! the pile on the carpets and mats was really thick aswell (dark brown mats as i remember!).

it wasn't the quickest thing in the world but felt as though it was when you were driving it!

i think i'll end up getting another one at some point - space on driveway permitting!

a good tip i discovered to demist the rear window was to put the fan on full and direct the centre airvents over your shoulder with air con on and it cleared it quite quickly

there are also some drain holes somehere in the bodywork that you need to keep unblocked, otherwise it'll start to rust from the inside out. can't remember exactly where they are but have a look on the various forums as it was a common thing to look out for

is it a 1.6 or 1.8 and what year? the early 1.6s are supposed to be the best engines. also do the elec windows work still? that was another common problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool B)

They're great little cars that only need a bit more power to be huge fun. I'm (just - standing down shortly) Motorsport Coordinator for the MX5 Owners Club and am still a fan. Mine has a built engine and, when the BIG supercharger is refitted, will have more than enough power to be really fun! :drive1

Damp in the boot is usually the rain rail deteriorating. This is a plastic channel that runs around the base of the hood and channels the rainwater that runs down the back of the hood to the drain holes. It might be the drain holes blocked, but this more often results in water in the cabin.

First thing is to clear the drain holes. These at the side of the "parcel shelf", just behind the seat belt pillars. Lift the carpet and probe the cavity with something like a plastic rod to make sure the drain holes are clear. They exit just above the rear wheels. To get to the rain rail you need to lift the carpet and unfasten the bottom edge of the hood. It's a plastic channel that tends to perish and split, letting water run down the "parcel shelf" underneath the carpet. It then runs in to the boot via holes, dripping on to the spare or the carpet on the other side of the boot. Replacement is the best option, although repairing any splits with duct tape has proved pretty effective for me!

Your mates is defo 1994/5 vintage. The door handles/pockets are early years and the brace behind the seats was a 1994 addition. 1.6 and 1.8 gave similar power (i.e. weak!) but 1.8 had more torque and tuning potential. My paintwork is as bad as that, but careful polishing should improve it a lot. Haven't bothered with mine, that's not what I have it for.

Improvements , in order of priority

Decent tyres

Polybush the suspension

Good coilovers (P5 or Gaz)

LSD (if not already fitted)

Supercharger or turbo (road or track respectively)

Or, if you really want kit to drool over, Flyin' Miata :thumbs:

Result - brilliant roadster that's a bit more civilised than a Caterham but will give you a huge grin from ear to ear :teeth:

thanks for the info :D i'll pass it all on cheers,

yes it was that car park and its a death trap :lol: with all the snow down you had exactly NO seconds to react to the old tree kerb surround things :scare:

EDIT: just thought, i was thinking of the new one at the east of cov. i know the one you mean now, also what you mean about bomb site haha, you need a 4x4 just to get into the thing!!

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. The car already has an LSD, i'll be clearing the drain holes out this weekend, and rewiring the speakers (totally new speaker wire!)

It's a cheap runaround though, a kind of stop-gap between the Focus RS and an Exige. I figured since i'd never had RWD before, i'd better learn something while i'm saving so the MX5 should be a nice easy way to do that.

John - shall we get Roberts into mine for a test ride? See if he likes it. I'm guessing he'll either want a mk2 or a F.I. Mk1 for £4k?

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. The car already has an LSD, i'll be clearing the drain holes out this weekend, and rewiring the speakers (totally new speaker wire!)

It's a cheap runaround though, a kind of stop-gap between the Focus RS and an Exige. I figured since i'd never had RWD before, i'd better learn something while i'm saving so the MX5 should be a nice easy way to do that.

John - shall we get Roberts into mine for a test ride? See if he likes it. I'm guessing he'll either want a mk2 or a F.I. Mk1 for £4k?

yep, i'll continue to promote mx5's to friends so i have the only zed mwahaha B):D