Clutch Failing?

Johnnybanjo

Whilst reversing out of a road with a slight gradient, I heard a whizzing sound and experienced a loss of traction (no burning smell).

On a second occasion, reversing up onto inspection ramps, I had a similar experience (again no burning smell).

Are these the first signs of the dreaded clutch fail? :scare: The car has done 57k miles.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Whilst reversing out of a road with a slight gradient, I heard a whizzing sound and experienced a loss of traction (no burning smell).

On a second occasion, reversing up onto inspection ramps, I had a similar experience (again no burning smell).

Are these the first signs of the dreaded clutch fail? :scare: The car has done 57k miles.

Might be but best to get it diagnosed properly.

Perhaps it may have been wheel spin that you were experiencing.

If you do require a clutch then in stock and good to go next day. See linky below. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27436

Cheers,

Alex.

From stationary, put the car in 4th gear and give it plenty or revs, then slowly release the clutch until u feel the bite point. Keeping revs high release the clutch a bit more, and you should feel some forward motion. If you dont this is a pretty good indication that the clutch is slipping ;)

my car does this too.

been doing it for ages. but if you rev less and let the clutch out more it doesnt do it.

i dont think the clutch is on the way out and neither does my mechanic.

After a test last night, the noise occurred briefly, but definitely moved forward in 4th gear. Slight smell of clutch too afterwards.

Reassuring to know that I'm not alone, and nothing too serious to worry about then.

I dont think it is, might be a belt slipping or something. a few zed overs have said to me that the belts can slip.

• 1 month later...

thought I would revive this thread rather tha start another.

Recently my clutch has started to smell and when I'm on a steep hill holding the car on the clutch it makes a loud whizzinf sound and feels like it won't hold. also when I start in 1st when I'm in traffic it feels like there barely any power and the car can shudder and shake like I'm in too high a gear.

I have tried starting in 4th and it starts moving forward so not sure if this means my clutch is sying or not? If it is going then fair enough I'll get onto Alex and get another - just don;t want to replace when there is no need to.

P.S. I will be getting to a garage when time allows for a proper diagnosis, it's just that it's not very convenient unless they work after 8pm!

thought I would revive this thread rather tha start another.

Recently my clutch has started to smell and when I'm on a steep hill holding the car on the clutch it makes a loud whizzinf sound and feels like it won't hold. also when I start in 1st when I'm in traffic it feels like there barely any power and the car can shudder and shake like I'm in too high a gear.

I have tried starting in 4th and it starts moving forward so not sure if this means my clutch is sying or not? If it is going then fair enough I'll get onto Alex and get another - just don;t want to replace when there is no need to.

P.S. I will be getting to a garage when time allows for a proper diagnosis, it's just that it's not very convenient unless they work after 8pm!

The symptoms certainly sound like the clutch is on its way out, however if the car is moving forward from stand-still in 4th gear it means the clutch isn't slipping, which is usually the first sign of clutch failure.