selling car whilst transferring the plate

hagar

I am hopefully in the process of selling the car this week.

Currently I have a private plate which I am going to transfer to my other car, however, how does this effect things whilst selling?

When I bought the plate it was easy, I went to DVLA swapped it over and it was done the same day - obviously the V5 took a week or 2 to arrive.

In this case how would it effect things or is it painless?

Hey Hagar, i bought my car while the seller was in the process of the private reg transfer.

The way he did it was to take the application to the local DVLA office and got the V5 section 10 back stamped with the new (old / reverted / whatever you want to call it) plate and the form allowing tax to be bought on the new plate, and a tax disc on the new plate to replace the one tied to the private plate.

At that point I bought it without the full V5 on the new plate. The risk to doing so is mainly to the seller in terms of fines etc, as the DVLA still see it as your car even though ownership has passed to the buyer, as the receipt proves it has.

The buyer got the full new plate V5 back 2 weeks later, we filled in our bits, sent it off and now have the proper paperwork back for all.

The problem is that the biuyer wont be able to status check with the RAC etc until the plates change.

It was a bit of a pain, but not huge.

Apologies for the crap explanation - off out and in a rush. If that makes no sense and you want a better explanation, feel free to PM :)

I saw a **** plate usterday, might go for one ;)

So do I really need the buyer ready to do this or can I go do it explaining I am looking to sell in a few days?

I think you'll be left with the green slip of the logbook, if the buyer trusts you then no problem ;)

In the past when I wanted to transfer my registration or put it on retention I just used to go and wait at the DVLA office while they produced the new tax disc, was able to change the number plate later that day and then just wait a couple of weeks for the new V5.

The rules have changed now and you have to send off to transfer the registration, or in your case Hagar put it on retention while you buy your new car.

If you don’t have the new car already to ‘swap’ the registration you have to put it on retention, it’s a bugger and especially if you are selling a car as it takes a while longer.

Unfortunately you should have done it in advance; the only other thing to do would be to postpone selling the car for a couple of weeks or sell the car with the plate on for a quick sale.

(Oh by the way that trip to the Ace café got to me – I’m learning to ride a bike!!!!)

I had the same problem when I sold my Z. Luckily the buyer was quite understanding and was happy to take the car without the V5 initially which I forwarded on when the new one was returned with the tax disc. It means they'll be driving around with your plate for a month or two but the alternative is to postpone selling.

Joe