Car shaking at 70mph

alessandro

Been driving on the motorway today and once passed 70 the steering wheel started shacking a bit so tryed to slowly push it a bit more and the shacking was getting worse and worse up to 90 when I had to lift because the steering wheel was shaking too much, same as the rest of the car also at 90 didn't have much responce from the steering wheel.

I changed shock absorbers in Sept and tyres last month, the same day I changed the tyres I asked my meccanic to have a quick look at them because I tough I felt something similar at the time but he couldn't see anything obvious and since then I haven't drove on the motorway or up to those speeds.

While driving in town or B roads everything seems fine.

Any idea?

Disclamer: The motorway on which I was driving today is privately owned and closed to public traffic :p

wheels need balancing.

+1, check to see if your wheel weights have fallen off.

R

couple of mine have after my tyres were fitted but not had any wobbles yet.

might be worth getting wheel alignment checked as well. some places do this for free and only charge you if it needs adjsuting.

Sound easy ebough :thumbs:

I tough this was done when the tyres where fitted but I'll take her to get a look at soon. Got weights on, those this make any difference when ballancing the tyres?

( what exactly the weights do and why I need them? :blush: )

they can fall off.

Maybe try torquing up the wheels again, do them in 3 stages and star pattern. I've found my Zed very sensative to having the wheels torqued up properly and progressively.

Also wheel balancing may help. Make sure you get a place that does proper balancing. I had mine done once and mentioned it to my wheel place and they did them again. They said they were ok in one direction, but dynamic balance was off They said poorer tyre fitters cant check that and can make the wheel wobble. :shrug:

I thought this was done when the tyres where fitted but I'll take her to get a look at soon. Got weights on, those this make any difference when balancing the tyres?

It is possible that if they did balance it wasn't done correctly. I've had this happen, went back the next day to have corrected.

I've found my Zed very sensitive to having the wheels torqued up properly and progressively.

Same here.