Strange exhaust note - any ideas?

kustard

This is probably not the kind of problem that kind be diagnosed on the forum and it pretty hard to explain, but I thought I'd post it up anyway just in case someone's had a similar issue.

Basically as of a couple of days ago, I've noticed the car basically sounds different when driving. When I get to about 3500rpm the exhaust noise starts to change and loses it's throatiness and almost descends into a dull whine, which gets more pronounced as the revs increase until I change gear. It's nothing too drastic, but has become very noticeable to me at least (I guess when you drive every day you become more sensitive to subtle changes). I'm only presuming it's the exhaust or roundabouts as it comes from behind me when I'm driving (How very scientific!)

Anyhow - I told you it was vague! I'm booking in for my p2 this week, so will mention it to them, but was hoping maybe someone could shed a little more light that I can at least pass on to the garage!

A

So, the P2 all went pretty well, apart from a couple of issues - one unsurprisingly being the exhaust...

The report says 'exhaust corroded and blowing center and back box' which I guess is causing the odd noise :) Apparently it couldn`t be welded due to the corrosion. I guess I'll need to replace the whole thing?

Does anyone have any pointer / recommendations? The garage quoted about 700 quid for new exhaust and fitting, but I imagine I can get a better product by shopping around and maybe travelling a little to get it fitted (I'm in Leeds)

Also, 'both rear droplinks have play in them' apparently - Another £130 to fix apparently. Is this something I can upgrade or is it a standard part?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

A

as alex said. Starts of the crack forming just behind the rear box. As it gets bigger some members reported it sounded like a supercharger.

You can get it welded, buy a second hand rear box or the perfect reason to buy a aftermarket one for improved sound :teeth:

Why not use the opertunity to get yaself a complete custom exhaust done? You can pick the tips you like, tell them how loud you want it, choose where the exhaust exits...... they usually come with a long garantee and cost about as much as a shelf item anyway.

Thanks for the advice - though I'm looking to probably get a scorpion at the moment. It's £360, so a nice saving on the stealer's price and leaves me a bit more to look at a popcharger and maybe even some spacers (The addiction begins!!!) Are the scorpion and K2 exhausts comparable? I saw a video of the K1 and it's a little too brutal, but the k2 sounds good and is a similar price.

Thanks for the advice - though I'm looking to probably get a scorpion at the moment. It's £360, so a nice saving on the stealer's price and leaves me a bit more to look at a popcharger and maybe even some spacers (The addiction begins!!!) Are the scorpion and K2 exhausts comparable? I saw a video of the K1 and it's a little too brutal, but the k2 sounds good and is a similar price.

Od you could go for a 5zigen :ninja:;)

Also, 'both rear droplinks have play in them' apparently - Another £130 to fix apparently. Is this something I can upgrade or is it a standard part?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

A

Yes you can upgrade.

I have them in stock good to go next day.

Check out the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19378

Cheers,

Alex.