My JAE Story.

Hi guys - sorry my post is a little late, my time has been filled since I got back, half of it by sleep from being so exhausted!

Here's my story notated by smilies :) Fetch a cup of tea.....

Friday (so it begins)

The day for me started by returning from work at 4pm on a glorious sunny day, looking forward to a great drive down to meet up with fellow owners/friends. Once home I opened the front door to a hallway full of items that we needed to fit in the car.

:D:teeth::yahoo:

This was quickly followed by a few brief moments of panic as I sized up the ammount of stuff piled in the hallway, and knowing that once I told the missus we needed to get a spoiler and gazebo in there as well - there would be a row on the cards too.

:scare::blush::headhurt:

Anyway - myself and the missus discovered something about the roadster that is not mentioned in the handbook..(ok then just the missus, but its such a great idea I wish I could take some credit).

The roadster has an in built tardis.....

Whilst putting the roof down, I stopped halfway as I needed to get the last word in on a particular section of the argument (the one started by my suggesting exactly where the spoiler could be placed for the journey to Donnington).

After a rather cutting come back from the missus, we stood in silence marveling at the gaping casm in the back of the car, where the roof was about to fold into.

Thats when it hit us..

What if we could put stuff in there, and fold the roof back into the closed position again. Surely its worth a shot?

It was.

Two chairs, two fleeces, a couple of shirts, some trousers, a towel and two sleepings bag later and we were satsfied that it was full. :)

(note squishy items on the top of any tardis packing is a must, just in case you put too much in.)

So, after some last minute refreshments off we set to Tibshelf services to meet up with Jacko and Liam.

After some refreshments at Tibshelf, we then made our way down to Donnington services in convoy to meet up with Val.

After some more refreshments at Donnington (look you dont get to be my size without a few refreshments) we set off on our final leg to JAE.

Now, Ive looked through my TomTom manual, and I know there is a "shortest route setting", and a "quickest route". But I'm damned if I can find the "scenic route" setting - but I swear mine is set to it.

Though it does have its advantages as it keeps the missus happy as she can eye up different houses along the way.

We arrived on site and made our way to the pitch. Although I did manage to get us lost inside the JAE site for a couple of minutes.

Once we arrived on the pitch, we all unloaded the cars, had a quick chat and also asked the JAE organiser if ther was any chance of moving the skip that appeared to be slap in the middle of the plot. (and there wasnt apparently :dry:).

So we then split into our couples and started to put up the tents.

What followed was a chaotic series of actions resembling a cross between the actions of Krypton Factor and the soundtrack of a Gordon Ramsey TV program. I learnt some new words, and also how the hyphenating of simple nouns such as "tent peg" with expletives makes for such a more colourful argument.

It also appeared that the JAE ground used to be a quarry, and everyones tent pegs were made of treacle.

Once we had finalised our "accommodation", the cars were parked up, a few beers were opened and some general banter about my TomTom's "Scenic" setting and other topics followed. We then had a walk out to the local pub, where we met up with some more of our friends and fellow owners – these were the ones booked into surrounding hotels for the evenings – hitherto referred to as “the sensible onesâ€

Crackin write up Chris!......

But I can't believe you forgot to mention the grandstand view of the fireworks on Saturday night! ;)

I did wonder which bright spark (pardon the pun) thought sending exlosives and wooden sticks high into the air would be a good idea at a car show.

I did spend a great deal of time fretting over the fireworks, and imagining a nice wooden stick addition to my roof.

However, it appears my knowledge of fireworks has not moved with the times, and they do not use such devices anymore. They are shells which dissintegrate into ash / cardboard and blow away in the breeze. So no danger of falling debris damaging cars.

Some of the pictures of the fireworks behind the cars are great.

Sadly we did not get a picture of Steve_b launching, what can only be described as a home made glow in the dark sling straigt over the gathered crowd.

Did anyone else clock that moment of terror streak accross his face as the glow in the dark tube hurtled toward the backs of the folk against the railings. Followed by the signs of relief as it just missed them all. Then the embarrassing walk to the said crowd to fetch said glow in the dark stick back for Connor - LOL.

I also forgot the 3 in a Zed episode too..... ;)

LOL....... Wonder whether Liam and Steve enjoyed that? B)

Just cos your a mod, no need for naming names :dry:

Oooops sorry mate, that must have just slipped out. Think its common knowledge anyway, I mean the WHOLE of JAE was talking about it that night.... :D

A very generous company also provided us with £300 worth of T-Shirts to hand out to all those bringing cars to the stand, hopefully everyone got one in their size (or thereabouts). If not, please let me know and we shall sort one out for you.

I got nothing :(

(Large please)

Sorry Steve - we will be sure to sort it out for you.. I dont know how you go missed.

Slightly off topic, but during the show n' shine - were you ever tempted to ask:

"and can you tell us exactly why you stuck that on it?" or something similar.?

LOL - I thought there would have been.

I did catch one where you were talking to a guy who was planning on upping the power to 550bhp, on something that seemed to be on standard running gear.. he said that would probably be the end of the project.

Your comment of "yep - I think that will be the end of it too" almost made me cry from laughing.