Alarm system

lee27150

Hey all, i need some help choosing an alarm system as this monday i'll be pickin up my white Jap 350z....

When i get my car i want it 2 be really secure. I was lookin at a clifford G5 950 system but with GAP it costs £800-£1300 dependin on whether they've got any other work in the same area!! Dya know where i can find it cheaper or has any1 got any other suggestions?

I live in the Chester area so the more local the places the better really.

Cheers,

Lee. :teeth:

When i get my car i want it 2 be really secure.

To be honest a top end alarm is going to give you no more protection than a basic alarm. As long as it has a battery backed up siren then a bog standard alarm is going to give you as much protection as a top end clifford.

IMO the only benefit you will get from top end alarms are confort features and nothing to so with security like the ability to open a boot remotly, turn on the head lights, remote start (although breaks insurance in most cases).

As long as the alarm goes off when its broken into then its done its job. To be honest no-one cares about alarms any more because everyone ignores them. When was the last time you challenged someone who was at a car with the alarm going off?

all cars are now made with Cat 2 immobiliers which is the main thing you want now from an alarm so it not really needed. The only thing worth getting now is a form of tracker.

Think you've hit the nail on the head. It's the immoblieser is the important thing. Nobody leaves anything of value in the car or if they do they shouldn't.

Personally not one for a tracker as they are useless if the car is put in a conatiner unit. Police can't pick up the signal and would you really want it back after it's been stolen anyway. It's probably been ragged to sh!t.

Personally not one for a tracker as they are useless if the car is put in a conatiner unit. Police can't pick up the signal and would you really want it back after it's been stolen anyway. It's probably been ragged to sh!t.

not so my friend - if a joyrider has knicker it he (or she) will torch it to get rid of the evidence, if it was knicked to order or for parts they tend to leave it on a secluded road and keep an eye on it for a couple of days, checking if it has a tracker - if it is still there - bingo!

either way it isnt in their interest to rag it, unlike the joyriders.

In my experience the cost od a cheap tracker (£200) is well worth it

Had a tracker fitted once, the occasional time I didn’t disarm it I got a call from the tracker HQ asking if I was in it etc. Felt really good to know that the car I had put a lot of work and money into might be recovered if it was stolen.

I agree with the alarm comments, although the last Clifford alarm I had beeped at you if you even looked at it, which again felt great – was an extra, called ‘proximity sensor’ or something similar.

Do what you think is right and what best would suit you - also think about what might get the best insurance discount. Both are good ideas at the end of the day, you’ve just got to think are you more likely to get opportunistic joy-riders in which case an alarm is best – or more serious thief in which case a tracker would be best.

Took my mate's tracker company a week to tell him his car was being moved... he'd broken down on the way back from Nurburgring (no idea why :p ) and when they called his car was being towed across norther France.

Don't know the tracker company name... will try to find out... his car was a Scooby, tho.

Thanks for all the advice ppl.

Went to see a company 2day, Safe & Sound. The bloke basically told me the same as what you lot said. Apparently clifford r over rate and over price, and out of most of the brands they tend to go wrong the most! Don't know if any1 else has experienced any probs with their clifford's.

Out of all the brands he recommended Toad AI606. £300 fitted, i can live with that, a big difference from £1300!!

Apparently clifford r over rate and over price, and out of most of the brands they tend to go wrong the most!

Wouldn't agree personally. I'm good friends with a dealer who sells them almost daily and the number of returns he has due to faulty brains is VERY VERY low BUT the number of times he has been asked to fix cliffords which have gone wrong which were installed by someone else is much higher.

It seems that a lot is down to the installer than the equiptment.

Would say its a much of muchness about which alarm is best - Toads are pushed a lot due to thier margins ;) which is generally more than the cliffords.