Sticking boot lock.

seanc

Ever thad the problem of a sticking boot lock? When you press the button, the boot pops up, but is still in the catch; requiring a 2nd or 3rd press of the button. I have had this problem since I bought my 'Z' 3 months ago. It started to really bug me, so I got the spanners out. My fix was really simple, described below (sorry no photos):

Peal back boot carpet to gain access to lower end of plastic trim.

Peal back rubber seal around boot sufficient to allow removal of plastic trim.

Carefully unclip the plastic trim.

The interior boot lamp is wired up, so simply unclip the wiring plug.

Remove plastic trim and place to one side.

There are 6 off 12mm A/F bolts holding on the boot lock mechanism which need to be removed.

The mechanism can then be removed from the body work; although still attached to the wiring loom.

Now it is simply a matter of lubricating the moving parts of the mechanism and working them a little. I used WD40, but a light oil should suffice.

Finally, in the immortal words of 'Haynes': reassembly is simply the reversal of the above procedure; remembering to plug the wire into the boot light before clipping the platic trim back in place.

Any questions?

The common fix is to inclip the black cylinder things that hang down either side of the boot lid, and put a penny in them before clipping them back on. This then makes the gives the effect of making the springs stronger...

BUT... your method may be better, as the black cylinders are quite weak and i've broke the housing on mine when adding the 1p, and had to replace them, and i know IanS16 mentioned that it had damaged his hatch or something?

• 1 month later...

Good tip about the WD-40. I actually managed to spray mine without dismantling the latch, just poked the red straw on the WD-40 tin into the latch mechanisum through the opening. Sprayed it liberally, opened & shut the boot a few times, sprayed some more, etc. Seems to have freed it up nicely and it is working fine again now! :clap: