P2 service Gearbox problem

Impressed

Left my 08 Z at AC in Glasgow today for its P2 12800 miles. Got a phone call and apparently they will need to keep it as it needs a rear wheel bearing. Also they say there is some gearbox noise when idling in neutral so they have asked nissan for permission to drop out the gearbox for inspection. :scare:

I had noticed this slight rotating type noise at idle and a slight whine when accelerating in first gear but put it down to the fact that the box is right next to the drivers seat because I don’t have any other problems.

The thing is apart from not wanting them taking my whole gearbox apart at 12800 miles they also said I would need to authorise the work. Meaning if they take it out and can’t find a problem or it is not a warrantee issue I will have to foot the bill.

My questions are.

1. How likely is it that there will be a fault in a gearbox of this age?

2. How likely is it that the fault will not be warranteed?

3. Why has a wheel bearing failed at this mileage?

4. Are they trying it on i.e. have they anything to gain by wanting to take out my gearbox.

5. Anyone else had similar faults or experiences.

Thanks guys

Thanks,

They are replacing the wheel bearing tommorrow under warrantee, but do you think I should get a second opinion on the gearbox?

Nah! leave them to it until they make a decision.

They might give you a now gearbox so just wait and see ;)

No point in upsetting them at the moment :lol:

Thanks,

But this is a new gearbox at these miles.

Can they possibly charge me?

At the moment I am as poor as a church mouse. :wacko:

Ps ex demo, One short lived owner then me.........

The gearbox issues will be fixed under warranty.

Nissan are well aware of such gearbox faults.

Be assertive but polite. :)

Decided I have to get it sorted, If only because if it does disintegrate they have already warned me about the problem.

What is the chance of them claiming it has been abused or finding something in the drive train that is not under warrantee as this age - mileage? Because I am absolutely skint....

I am thinking of taking it to the Livingston branch of AC simply because its closer and the mechanics at Glasgow AC left my doors, handles and service booklet covered in black greasy hand prints and also the workshop was full of very young mechanics. Anyone had any experience of Livingston AC.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

You would be absolutely bonkers :wacko: to authorise this repair and risk being hit with a hefty bill. :scare:

If they have asked Nissan U.K. for permission to remove the box then this permission should be immanent.

Why not leave the car with them pending warranty authorisation and take advantage of one of there courtesy cars. :thumbs:

I am only up in Perth and would only be to happy to diagnose the issues for you but that wont change the fact the the Nissan garage will still require authorisation from Nissan U.K. to remove the box as this is Nissan standard procedure.

Alex.

Called into another nissan dealer today, Their guy said that the noise was normal and if they were to drop the gear box for inspection they would not find a problem. Infact he said they had stripped a 350Z gearbox that was a lot noisier before and had not found any reason. :wacko:

What on earth should I do now?

Called into another nissan dealer today, Their guy said that the noise was normal and if they were to drop the gear box for inspection they would not find a problem. Infact he said they had stripped a 350Z gearbox that was a lot noisier before and had not found any reason. :wacko:

What on earth should I do now?

What utter balls! :bangin: They're talking out their arses.

As Alex said before........Nissan are well aware of these gearbox issues......... stay with the first dealer.........be calm and assertive and determine that they have infact asked Nissan's permission re warranty. Just because you let them investigate does not mean to say you are authorising any repairs. Again..as Alex said - do not under any circumstance authorise any work - sit tight and wait for a response from Nissan. If it comes to it then you could also make Nissan customer service aware of the situation yourself - but only as last resort. As you have quite rightly said yourself - your car is basically 'new' they can not wriggle out of the warranty on this one you just need to politley stand your ground. :thumbs:

Thanks again guys,

I have been led to believe that in the event of a warrantee claim, I have to authorise the repairs and if it turns out to be covered under warrantee Nissan will pay for it. If however the damage/problem turns out to not be under warrantee (not sure how this could be considering that the drive train it covered for 60000 miles and it only has 13000 miles on it) I will need to pay for investigation and none warrantee repairs. Is this correct?

If this is the case, the problem I have is: What is there to stop a stealer saying "yes we will need to do drop out the gearbox and investigate" even if there is no problem they will get paid anyway (me or Nissan). Surely if they say it needs investigating 'they' should take that risk.

Also what did the second dealer have to gain by saying it is normal and there is no problem and turning away the work?

In your guys opinion am I being unreasonable to expect this to be investigated (considering it was the Nissan dealer who reccomended it) without the risk of a huge bill on a car of this age/milage?

PS I do believe that this needs looking at but don't want to get ripped off........