interesting: Android app "KEI" remote phone start

Husky

im looking at getting an android phone for when my work moves to google. this will hopefully make life simple and keep it apple free :p

i found this app, i love the new take on an old idea :) it was designed by people in MIT as part of a challenge to get people android app programming. :)

1. KEI

This method of using your phone to remotely control your car is one of the most unique Android applications developed by the students at MIT. It’s essentially a Bluetooth key which functions as a control for your car so that you can automatically unlock or start the vehicle remotely by using your phone. It’s set up so that you can control one car with multiple phones (for families that share cars) and / or you can control multiple cars with a single phone (for people who have more than one vehicle). KEI requires a simple install device in the car and is designed to eventually be able to read the car’s diagnostic information for you. This is an ideal application for people who always lose their car keys but never forget to take their phones with them.

kei.jpg

KEI has been a dream of mine for some time. It’s basically a Bluetooth key for all your stuff. In this early version, it was demonstrated as an automatic car starter and unlocker so you don’t have to try to find your car keys all the time.

It’s built so that multiple people can control the same car and/or multiple cars can be controlled by a single phone. Security is handled via 128-bit encryption and there will be an administrative interface so you can cut your ex-lover’s access off when the two of you break up.

There’s a relatively simple module that gets installed in your car, much like existing remote starter systems work. Future KEI systems would also read diagnostic information from your car as well.

didnt quite know where to pop this thread feel free to move. :)

Why don't you like iPhones dude ?

Mine is glued to my arm :blush:

+1 :lol:

EVIL! :evil::ninja:

I dont like anything that everyone else has :lol: otherwise i would own an audi TT...

but like i say, everything in my work is swapping to google and mobile access to email will be possible etc.

I know what you mean mate but I had windows Mo phone before and it was good (for modding anyway) but the wonderphone really is top of the tree as far as interfaces go anyway.

p.s the intial phase of iphone hysteria has gone now so its safe to buy the latest version (like me!) ;) Basically it just works! :thumbs:

What I do hate is the hype and marketing but that goes with everything these days we dont drive a car anymore its a lifestyle statement! :thumbdown:

I know what you mean mate but I had windows Mo phone before and it was good (for modding anyway) but the wonderphone really is top of the tree as far as interfaces go anyway.

p.s the intial phase of iphone hysteria has gone now so its safe to buy the latest version (like me!) ;) Basically it just works! :thumbs:

What I do hate is the hype and marketing but that goes with everything these days we dont drive a car anymore its a lifestyle statement! :thumbdown:

exactly, i dont like to buy something just because everyone else does. the inevitable band wagon following a heavily marketed product whether its good or not. Also having to pay for desirability is annoying. I have played about on freinds Iphones and liked them. i'm still pondering on it, would like to be the only one with an android phone though :teeth:

im sure a psychologist would have a field day with me and my wacky ideas :lol:

The only problem I have with extra ways to access your pride and joy is the fact that some scum bag will always have a way around this type of tech.

Will your car insurance be effected by this extra bit of kit?

I can see car companies wanting it to be Thatcham approved in this country if you do get something like that. They are the defacto in aftermarket car alarms and security systems :thumbs:

The only problem I have with extra ways to access your pride and joy is the fact that some scum bag will always have a way around this type of tech.

Will your car insurance be effected by this extra bit of kit?

i assume it would be down the same lines as a remote start and the insurance companies are pretty wary about them i think. it would need some form of approval yes i would have thought so, by the sounds of things it pretty secure and i suppose someone would need to know you had it in the first place to hack into it. and seeing as it would prob be quite rare i wouldnt have thought anyone would go to the trouble they'd be quicker just smashing the window...

exactly, i dont like to buy something just because everyone else does. the inevitable band wagon following a heavily marketed product whether its good or not. Also having to pay for desirability is annoying. I have played about on freinds Iphones and liked them. i'm still pondering on it, would like to be the only one with an android phone though :teeth:

I didn't get the iPhone when it was first released for that exact reason but I just couldn't ignore that it does everything it says, as good if not better than others, and has the best interface of the lot.

Buying a phone to be different is just like goth kids dressing in black to show off there 'individuality' :lol:

I didn't get the iPhone when it was first released for that exact reason but I just couldn't ignore that it does everything it says, as good if not better than others, and has the best interface of the lot.

Buying a phone to be different is just like goth kids dressing in black to show off there 'individuality' :lol:

:p :P :p :P :p its also that i know everything an iphone can do and everything is the same as the guy next to you. i find that boring, much more exciting to play with something new :)

but, looking at the contracts available with android im not so sure... none with unlimited web allowance.. is this normal?

I have T-Mobile G1, the original android phone, and my contract includes unlimited data.

My girlfriend has the iPhone 3Gs and I have to admit there are times I wish I'd gone down that route rather than android, but other times I see limitations on the iPhone that I don't have and prefer what I've got. And I really don't like the on screen keyboard, especially in portrait orientation.

If you're anything like me, you'll like whichever you get, but that won't stop you having that "grass is greener" feeling when you see someone with the other one! ;)

what kind things does your android excel at over the iphone?

Dude, I dunno bout the other phone but I bought my iphone at the start of the year and I can honestly say it's my best purchase of the year. Toilet breaks, dentist, doctors and hospital appointments have never been as much fun

Highly recommend anyone to buy one !!

what kind things does your android excel at over the iphone?

Dude, I dunno bout the other phone but I bought my iphone at the start of the year and I can honestly say it's my best purchase of the year. Toilet breaks, dentist, doctors and hospital appointments have never been as much fun

Highly recommend anyone to buy one !!

No they are evil as said before. The iphone is nice, but the company behind it is evil they treat customers like idiots. Win mo isnt gonna get good until win mo 7. 6.5 is a dissapointment. Android will be the best as apps will be fully customisble and political and business wont affect which apps make it to the store cough google voice cough.

Yes Im a nerd :disguise::lol: