Computer fault, any ideas?before It goes though the window

lomoto

My home computer just went blank last night, doesnt seem to want to restart , trys to then just cuts off, left it to cool down overnight and same thing happens this morning.. fairly old system (about 6 years old ) any computer buffs know of a magic button to press before I sling it ?? Cheers Tim

ps I,m on the work computer at the moment

I'm far from being a techy mate but sounds like a pretty major fault to me, probably more hardware related than software I'd say but don't take my word for it!!

Andy I,d take anybodys word on this subject as I know bugger all about computers , I can barely switch one on :scare:

I'm far from being a techy mate but sounds like a pretty major fault to me, probably more hardware related than software I'd say but don't take my word for it!!

Andy I,d take anybodys word on this subject as I know bugger all about computers , I can barely switch one on :scare:

Yep, me too bud!

With the power off , open it up and make sure that the memory , video cards etc are firmly connected , the heat may cause things to expand and not sit correctly.

PS , I am just really guessing here :D

Thanks I,ll give it a try and may also give it a good blowing out with the compressed airline at work...? cant do any harm I suppose ? :surrender:

When you say it tries to restart and then cuts off, are you seeing anything on screen?, do the led lights (i.e. the Hard Disk light, etc light up at all). Unforuntatley i'm an IT consutlant, its been a long time since i've done support but i'll try and help :)

That or i can spec you a machine for you exact requirements and most likely save you a few £££.

Andy

green light comes on when you switch it on., then red light flickers as though its ,starting screen comes on briefly then it just cuts out after about 3 to 4 secs of red light flickering.. fan seems to be running all the time !

check fan on graphics card if you have one. Try running pc with case side off and have a hair dryer running on cold blowing air into pc to see if its an overheating issue. Does pc power off completely? :)

check fan on graphics card if you have one. Try running pc with case side off and have a hair dryer running on cold blowing air into pc to see if its an overheating issue. Does pc power off completely? :)

when screen cuts off green light just remains on , red light stops flicking ??.. I think its F*****D..... :blush: its 6 years old I only bought it for my kids and I think its been worked to death the last few years what with Ebay / this forum :teeth:

just had a horrible thought theres loads of photos on the computer that I havent got copies of ., plus a load of passwords etc that I will have forgot, Jesus I'm going to have to get this one sorted to get all the info off it before I junk it :headhurt:

That will be easy so dont worry too much. :thumbs: i can give you advice on this. :D but i am sure from what you have said that is some type of cooling issue, also try running the hair dryer through the power supply too. :thumbs:

Tim,

If you like I could pop round and have a look later - good excuse to take the Z out for a drive in the summer sun.

Ive a few spare bits and bobs in the office I could bring just in case its a blown part.

Just a few other questions though...

Do you see anything windows related on the screen. By that I mean do you see your desktop or the log in prompt (anything that relies on the graphics driver doing its stuff rather than DOS graphics)

What is the very last thing you se on the screen before it dies.

What operating system are you runing (Win XP, win 98, win 2000 etc)

Sounds to me like the PC is fine, and its just the graphics driver that is stuffed, causing it to black screen as soon as it gets out of DOS mode.

Tim,

If you like I could pop round and have a look later - good excuse to take the Z out for a drive in the summer sun.

Ive a few spare bits and bobs in the office I could bring just in case its a blown part.

Just a few other questions though...

Do you see anything windows related on the screen. By that I mean do you see your desktop or the log in prompt (anything that relies on the graphics driver doing its stuff rather than DOS graphics)

What is the very last thing you se on the screen before it dies.

What operating system are you runing (Win XP, win 98, win 2000 etc)

Sounds to me like the PC is fine, and its just the graphics driver that is stuffed, causing it to black screen as soon as it gets out of DOS mode.

Hi Chris I sometimes see Window ME on screen before it dies , but not everytime , once it started up in "safe mode " whatever that is , but died almost immediately ? yes if you fancy a run out give me a ring..

like it's been said it could be overheating but it could also be that windows ME as killed itself by that i mean there's a software fault not a hardware one.

when you try to reset in safe mode is there a option for last none configuration ?

have you installed any new software recently ?

got anti-virus and firewall running ?

think it's about time you upgraded to a newer pc running windows xp which is more secure and less prone to crashing, also windows 98 and me are no longer supported by micro$oft.

you should be able to transfer all the pictures and anything else you need off the old hard drive to the new pc easily not sure about the passwords tho :wacko:

Tim,

loks like I may not be able to make it tonight - but try pressing F8 (press it avery couple of seconds while its booting)

You should get to a menu offering safe mode - try that.

if it gets you in, then shut down and try booting normally again.

If you still have no joy, then back into safe mode and try re-installing the graphics card driver.

I may be able to get over before the JAE weekend, but Ive got a lot on - sorry, Ill do my best.

Tim,

loks like I may not be able to make it tonight - but try pressing F8 (press it avery couple of seconds while its booting)

You should get to a menu offering safe mode - try that.

if it gets you in, then shut down and try booting normally again.

If you still have no joy, then back into safe mode and try re-installing the graphics card driver.

I may be able to get over before the JAE weekend, but Ive got a lot on - sorry, Ill do my best.

Chris it worked :yahoo::yahoo: picked your message up at work just got back home and tried the F8 thingy, got it in safe mode ,restarted and its OK again,, whats that all about then??

Thanks a million to all the you guys for the help and response to my headache, ...I'm going to get a new computer I think ,i cant keep having this happen, I was panicking I couldnt get to post on here in the evenings :teeth:

Glad it worked Tim.

Its just one of those things. If it was a corrupt graphics driver, then in theory it shouldnt have made any difference - but Windows is a fickle beast. So who knows.

The good news is its working. And if you are anything like me, it will have scared you enough to make sure you back up onto cd or dvd whatever is most important to you. :thumbs: