New forum keeps crashing

StephenG

We are awaiting news from our hosts, but rest assured one way or another these errors will be fixed.

Its not the best method of attracting users by having a forum that keeps falling over, and other changes and suggestions will be worked on, but as you will appreciate, this takes priority.

Thanks for your patience,

Regards,

Chris B.

We have just experienced this again, please accept my apologies.

It may help both ourselves and the hosts identify this issue, if you can please let me know exactly what area of the forum/gallery/chat you were in just before the crash, and what area you were trying to enter when you received the error.

Many Thanks,

Chris.

If it happens again, if you copy and paste exactly what is said on the screen to here, it'd be helpful. Obviously, save it somewhere first and then post it when the site lets you.

It sounds like it could be a MySQL error from just a quick google. There is a setting to increase this max connects number too. Either way, knowing exactly what the problem is would help in solving it.

Yep its the "max_user_connections" error.

The server can handle 800 in total, and 80 from any individual user. It normally hovers anywhere between 25 and 50 depending how active the members are who are logged on.

Occasionally there are spikes up to well over 130, it is finding the source of these spikes that will stop the errors.

Unfortunately thi may reuire the closing of certain areas of the forum for breif periods to test. Rest assured, one way or another they will be resolved, and the forum will run smoothly.

Thanks,

Chris B.

You'd have thought phpBB would have been pretty stable and only use what it needs? Very odd! Saying that, I bet most of the connections are dormant anyway, so just use a tiny chunk of memory and don't choke the CPU. I guess increasing the connections wouldn't hurt in the mean time either way though.

this is not a phpBB problem. This is a problem with the server configuration not allowing more than XXX number of database connections either simultaneously or per hour. We went through this same issue several times and decide the hosting company was screwing us. We had to get a new host that was suitable for a forum environment.

hear hear!

oh well I guess we'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a say a couple more weeks before making alternative arrangements... :D

The problem when running a forum is that each page load uses say 10-20 database queries PER PERSON. So once you get 50 people on the site at the same time, the database server will reach max load. Hosted servers typically cap this load to keep the stress down on their server and make sure all the hosted sites get equal processing power.

The only solution is to get them to up the max database connections limit or remove it entirely.

You guys aren't the only ones experiencing crashes. The 'other' site are also having their fair share of crashes and downtime too :scare:

just had problems logging on. Message was...

Warning: mysql_connect(): User 350zadmin has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/fhlinux216/3/350z-uk.com/user/htdocs/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 49

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/fhlinux216/3/350z-uk.com/user/htdocs/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 332

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/fhlinux216/3/350z-uk.com/user/htdocs/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 333

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Yep - unfortunatley this still persists. We have spoken to the hosts about it, and it appeared as of yesterday that things were sorted, as I was monitoring the connections yesterday and found that it did not fall over at the level which it had before.

This appears to have resurfaced again, which will involve another nice chat to our hosts. At least its fast, but these errors are unacceptable.

One method is running the place on a dedicated server, which would mean all you lucky folk having an increased attachment and gallery allowance - but would mean that the unluck folk on the admin and moderators team may have to go without jam for a few weeks. :blush:

We continue to discuss this amongst the mods/admins and we hope to hav these resolved soon.

Guest prescience

I did notice that Josh (toykilla) was on line when it crashed which is not great in itself, but is there any relationship between crash times and our American cousins being connected?

This may need looking into, as this has been mentioned before - The delay in script processing for a long distance host may result in the script being passed over and over until it crashed the box.

However one of the admins is in Europe at present, which if this were the case, should result in something similar - as would dial up connections.

I'll look into this, but it may just be an unlucky coincidence?

that is not the same error that i get when it crashes. I get a max database connections exceeded error which could mean any number of things

Most likely this site is sharing a server with a number of other websites and those can contribute to the issue as well. It depends on how the host is setup. It could be max simultaneous connections, or max connections per hour.

For instance, our site would crash almost at the end of every hour. As soon as the clock would hit the next hour the site would be back running.

Yesterday the site crashed every time i logged on and started browsing. Other days i can browse fine without any problems.

• 5 months later...