2006 350Z or later - buying decision

Valveman

Is it me or does the 2006 model with the 296hp engine feel more torquey lower down that the newer 2007 model with 313hp?

I have just driven a 2007 car and found it quite lacking at normal driving speed compared to a 2006 model I drove 2 weeks ago which felt great.

Shouldn't do really :wacko:

That’s what I thought, but this fully loaded one I drove today felt distinctly flat and it only covered 8000 miles. There was no immediacy or shove in the back when you put your foot down, where as the 2006 model I drove last week felt much more fun and the shove was there is spades.

There was also quite a nasty snatch when changing from 1st to 2nd gear – also going into 5th was not smooth either. Maybe it was just because it had only done 8k, I don’t know but it has sort of put me off buying one, plus all the hassle of trying to find a nice one. I have seen about 10 so far and they all have scratches, marks or tatty interiors. Also none of the main agents seem bothered about presenting the cars appropriately - maybe they are just used to the average Micra customer......

It may be that it hadn't fully loosened up yet. I know with mine it definately got quicker after about 12-14k miles.

Thanks, you could be right. II know there would be power there if I reved it to near its max but prevous 350Z's that I have driven had excellent torque low down and this one didn't....

Has the gearing been changed on the 2007 version as that would go some way to explaining it?

It may be that it hadn't fully loosened up yet. I know with mine it definately got quicker after about 12-14k miles.

Thanks, you could be right. II know there would be power there if I reved it to near its max but prevous 350Z's that I have driven had excellent torque low down and this one didn't....

Has the gearing been changed on the 2007 version as that would go some way to explaining it?

Fairly sure it's the same.

Not quite done 6000 in mine, built up steadily and used it spiritedly (Shall we say) from time to time :teeth:

And when you push the loud peddle it departs faster than a stabbed rat.. :lol:

So...if it keeps getting better as has been suggested...BRING IT ON... :clap:

The only problem with this is that if I smile any wider the top of my head will fall backwards. :lol:

later engine is a lot more torquier mid range in my experience :thumbs:

Drove another 07 296hp Z today and it was definitely torquier and more responsive than the 313hp Z I drove the other day. The engine seemed to run quieter too at idle. Anyway the search goes on. :)