pad/compound question

edgeydt50

just wondering if somebody on here can give me a bit of advice.

I have the sonus sfx kit which came with my DA. I gave my car a quick try with the medium pad and medium cutting compound which has bought up the finish really well but there is still come light swirling. I know the nissan paint is soft so i didnt want to use a hard pad and hard compound. Would i be best off using a hard pad with a medium compound of a medium pad with a hard compound. I have heard some people have had great result using prime lime on a DA so would that be worth a try or just stick with the sonus and then finish with prime lime?

Cheers in advance,

Chris

ermm ive not personally worked on the z paint as such yet so i wont comment. i am a part time detailer and i can tell u now that the sonus sfx aint the best compound to use(my local detailer said "its @*!#").... every jap car ive done so far has been with a medium pad (lake country orange/ 3m yellow) and poorboys ssr2/ menz pf 3.02. finishing with 3m ultrafina se on a lake country white pad..

when i finally get round to doing my z i will be going at it with 3m yellow and menz compund but im using an orbital rather than a d.a, so it changes it a bit

could i suggest you take your car down to a local detailer and maybe asking advice as every paint is different etc???

-ho

Hi Chris,

The pads are ok its the solutions that arent upto much to be honest.

I'd look at something like meguiars 83 which is good in most peoples hands and cant cause too many problems.

If you want the ultra safe option meguiars ultimate compound is great. Both are on my site.

Best wishes

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

the paint it quite thin anyway so be careful. cant remember exactly what i use. But its a mixture of Sonus, Menzerna , Chemical Boys and Meguirs. or just go to Cleanmycar.co.uk but its all in the prep. i.e. clay and a decent shampoo first.

Sonus pads are fine and last for 2 or three cars dependant on how dirty the car is. :)